CAT 2018 is just around the corner and the preparation of all the aspirants must be in full swing. During CAT Preparation 2018, candidates often get confused in regard to which CAT Books or study material to refer to. They look for the material which all toppers have sworn by to clear CAT Exam. This is bound to happen since their no dearth of CAT Preparation Books in the market.
Well, even in this phase, the key is to make books your best friend. Now, why books? Because they serve two purposes. First, they are the best source to revise whole of CAT syllabus. And second, most of the CAT books include sets of most important questions that you must solve during your preparation. Now even if you have solved them already in the earlier stages, you must revise them to get to know about the tips and tricks. Most CAT Toppers follow CAT Books to prepare better for their weaker sections.
Collegedunia is here to ease all your exam worries and suggest the best books for CAT 2018. Given below are the CAT Books for all three sections- Quantitative Aptitude (QA), Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DI & LR) and Verbal and Reading Comprehension (VRC).
Best Books for CAT Quantitative Aptitude (QA)
Quantitative Aptitude or QA is the biggest section of CAT in terms of syllabus and it is very important that you revise it thoroughly now. It is a difficult section but one best part is that scores in this section can be improved in a matter of days. So, even if you are scoring as low as 30-35 in your mock tests, proper usage of the following CAT preparation books can lead you to a score of more than 55 in the Quants section.
- NCERT Books: - Although questions in Quantitative Aptitude section of CAT look very difficult, most of them are just a smart application of what you have learned in school. Therefore, the best way to revise basics of Quantitative Aptitude is going through NCERT books. Books of Class 6 to 10 (especially 9th and 10th) can give you a complete revision of almost whole of the syllabus of QA, and they especially very good for Geometry, Algebra and Arithmetic.
- How to prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Arun Sharma: - There is not even an inch of doubt in the fact that books by Arun Sharma are the most popular and recommended for CAT, predominantly for Quantitative Aptitude. Not just for revision, this book is also a great source to practice some high-level questions. The LOD 3 section of all the chapters contains tough questions and can be a good source to check your proficiency in this subject.
- Quantum CAT by Sarvesh Verma: - Quantum CAT is another excellent QA book and a great alternative to Arun Sharma’s book. What makes this book stand out is that it contains almost all relevant types of questions that are a must do. Therefore, going through this book will actually help you a lot in the final CAT Question Paper.
- Quantitative and Data Interpretation for CAT by Nishit K Sinha: - An alumnus of IIM Lucknow, Nishit K Sinha precisely knows that what are the most important types of questions for CAT. This book stands out from all the other books principally in Arithmetic, which is the most important topic for CAT. Therefore, go through this book to boost up your time speed distance, profit & loss, CI SI and such topics.
Read CAT 2018: Last Minute Tips for Quantitative Ability
Best Books for CAT Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
Proficiency in VARC section in generally developed over a longer period of time. However, you still need to revise some topics like Grammar Rules, Vocabulary, RC tones etc. Take a look at the list of books that will help you in best revision and practice for VARC section of CAT: –
- Verbal Ability for CAT by Sujit Kumar: - Verbal Ability by Sujit Kumar is probably the best book for all kinds of Non-RC questions. Although the 10 VA questions in CAT are dominated by Para Jumbles, Odd Sentence Out and Para Summary, this book also provides a great question bank for other types of questions as well. Therefore, going through this book can give you an edge in VA questions.
- Reading Comprehension for CAT by Sujit Kumar: - Since Reading Comprehension is the single most important topic for CAT, it deserves proper attention. This book by Sujit Kumar is specially made for Reading Comprehension, and probably the best source to practice all kinds of RC questions. Going through this book will ensure that you leave no stone unturned when it comes to RCs.
- How to prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT by Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay: - This is another excellent book in the league of CAT preparation books by Arun Sharma. This book is a comprehensive book for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension section and is a great alternative to Sujit Kumar’s books.
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis: - If you are lacking even basic vocabulary knowledge, then this is a perfect choice for you. This small handbook can be completed in a matter of 15 days by devoting just 1 hour daily and it’s quite sure that once you go through it, you will learn most of its words by heart. Also, its approach is so good that you become able to predict meanings of words as well, which is a big advantage.
- High School Grammar Book by Wren and Martin: - Although CAT has not been asking direct grammar based questions from past several years, but grammar can help you a lot in all topics of CAT. This book is a perfect way to get all important grammar concepts for CAT.
Read Verbal Ability Strategy to Crack CAT
Best Books for CAT Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
DILR has evolved as the toughest section of CAT is last two years and demands a lot of practice. So take a look at the books which are best to boost your preparation for this section of CAT 2018 –
- How to prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT by Arun Sharma: – Data Interpretation is an important part of DILR section and one can definitely expect more than half of the section to be based on this. DI book by Arun Sharma exposes you to all kinds of questions in DI, like based on Tables, Line Graph, Bar Graph and Pie chart and gives you ample sets for practice. Therefore, going through this book is certainly going to add up to your preparation for CAT 2018.
- How to prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT by Arun Sharma: - Logical Reasoning is vast in terms of syllabus and you need to have knowledge of important topics like arrangements, statement assumption, and other such topics. This book by Arun Sharma predominantly has all the important topics with respect to CAT and therefore is a must read.
- CAT Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning by Gautam Puri: - Gautam Puri, who belongs to Career Launcher has created this excellent book for DILR section of CAT. The USP of this book is that it introduces you to some very high-level sets which have become a trend in CAT. Therefore, this is one book that can add a lot to your CAT preparation for DILR.
Read Retaking CAT Exam? 10 Strategies to Keep in Mind
Comprehensive Practice Books for CAT
Along with the above-mentioned section-wise CAT books, there are some other practice books available which are a must solve in these days. Take a look the list below –
- IMS CAT 500: - IMS CAT 500 is a perfect collection of most important questions of all subjects for CAT. IMS, which itself is leading CAT coaching company, created this book every year for CAT aspirants. The USP of this book is that the explanations of the questions are very detailed in this book, which makes a very good source of learning.
Read Top 5 Online Forums for CAT Preparation
- CAT 2017 – 15 Mock Tests: - This is another great book by Gautam Puri. This book contains 15 mini mocks (60 questions each) which are a great source to do time-based practice. One good way to use this book is to start a mock test every day and complete it within 2 hours. The book also features very good explanations as well.
- CAT 2017 – 27 Topic-wise and year wise solved papers (1990-2016): - Solving past year papers is a must and if you have not solved them yet, then this is the perfect time to do so. This book contains papers of past 27 years and is a must do in these days. We recommend that you solve papers of at least last 10 years before the exam.
We hope this article was helpful in getting to learn about the best CAT books for CAT 2018. These books serve as an excellent tool to enhance your performance in the exam. IIMs have scheduled CAT 2018 for November 25 in online mode. Good luck!