CAT 2018 will be conducted on November 25, 2018 through online mode. The online registration for CAT 2018 has been started from August 8, 2018. Candidates must have a graduate degree with minimum 50% marks to be eligible for the exam. The last date of CAT 2018 Registration is September 19.
Nearly 2.3 lakh candidates crossed swords in CAT 2017. While some secured an excellent CAT Result, others must be gearing up for belling the CAT again this year. While your preparations must be in full swing by now, we want to awaken you to an extremely important aspect that plays a crucial role in deciding your selection- it is your resume!
Apart from scoring well in the Common Admission Test, you must also do well in the WAT and PI rounds conducted by the participating institutes. Admissions are offered after considering your personal and academic traits. In these rounds, the authorities judge you on a number of factors, primarily your Resume. Your CV is a reflection of your personality and background. A well-curated Resume and half the battle is won!
Hence, it is of utmost importance to build a resume which is exceedingly impressive. To help you all with this, we have curated on that you need to build an awesome resume. Read on.
Why is a Resume Needed for CAT?
Before proceeding on to how to build a resume, it is important to have clarity on why is it required in the first place!
Well, all business schools conduct a Personal Interviewround to assess your capabilities wherein you are supposed to interact with an experienced panel.
These rounds carry a huge weightage in determining your final merit position. This is when your resume comes to work.
- A resume or a CV is a document that is necessary for MBA aspirants and all job applicants.
- The purpose of a CV is to win an interview.
- It is an advertisement that aims at selling the idea of you as a student to the authority of the institute that you have applied to.
- A good resume does not just indicate what you have done but also convinces the jury that you have what it takes to be successful in this new position or venture.
- A well-curated resume helps you stand out amongst other numerous applicants.
- It is a way through which you take a plunge towards acquiring a place in your dream institute.
How to Build an Excellent Resume for CAT?
Your resume is a document that can make or break your CAT Result. It forms the basic material by which the panel will be able to evaluate your credibility and may also ask you certain questions pertaining to it.
The first impression the panel gets about you will be from your resume. This is why you should be able to create that dynamic look in your resume that will attract their attention.
Now you may think how can you build a resume that will stand out. Let us start with the basics. A CV must cover a number of factors. You must include the following aspects in proper order to create the elementary structure of your resume-
- Personal Information and Contact details: This is where you provide your general personal details.
- Internship Experience: Internships especially in management fields are essential for your resume. You must mention the period of your internship and the kind of work you had to do.
- Work Experience (if any): This is the most important aspect of your resume. Most institutes prefer students with certain work experience. You should state the names of firms you worked for and your position. You can write about the projects you were a part of and the responsibilities you undertook at your workplace. You may also indicate certain milestones you have achieved during your time there.
- Education Details: This is where you provide details about your academic qualifications from your highest degree to class 10.
- Key Achievements: You must state your academic and extra- curricular achievements in this aspect. You can mention the competitions you have won, the clubs you were a part of such as Drama society, Football club, etc. and scholarships received if any.
- Position of Responsibilities: Write about the times when you were in a position of power. It can be as simple as a Captain in your school or a volunteer for a social cause.
- Hobbies and Personal Attributes: Mention your all your hobbies and over here. You must also state the things you are good at and your strengths.
Quick Tips to Follow
We have mentioned some guidelines that can come handy while making your CV:
- Your CV must begin with your strongest and most impressive aspects.
- Elaborate your contributions to the organizations you have worked for by providing specific details.
- Position your content properly by using section headers.
- Keep the personal details to the bare minimum.
- While creating your resume, make sure that the information you provide is true.
- Only include skills that are relevant.
What Makes a Resume Awesome?
In order to have an excellent resume for CAT Exam, you must create a strong profile. Some of the top business schools rely heavily on the profile of students while considering them for admission.
A strong profile will help you to stand out during the interview and present yourself as an all rounded personality. The profile becomes more important for Freshers who compete with experienced professionals.
We have listed a few ways with which you can improve your profile and earn some brownie points:
- Internships: This is the first thing that you must do to build your resume. You can get actual work experience via internships in the limited time that you have. Many companies also offer home internships wherein you can work for a couple of hours from the comfort of your home.
- Volunteer for social activities: You can contribute to the society by working at an NGO or you can participate in student organizations such as AIESEC. This can help you develop leadership skills while instilling a team spirit in you.
- Participate in contests and events: Take part in inter-college events like quizzes, sports competitions or any other contest based on your interest. Become a member of the entrepreneurial cell of your college or join the MUN. Improve your public speaking skills by participating in debates and book clubs.
- Courses: You can join certification courses that are aligned with your aspirations. Many students who wish to pursue MBA in Finance take up NSE certification courses or appear for CFA. You can choose courses as per your interest. Freshers can benefit a lot by taking up courses in Marketing and Analytics which will introduce them to the world of business.
- Hobbies: Indulge in productive hobbies and spend your time in learning relevant skills. If you like learning languages then join foreign language courses and complete at least a level. Start a blog if you love writing. Take up any activity that interests you and win accolades in that field.
We hope this article helped you build a better CV. The selection rounds of CAT 2018 are expected to begin in February 2019. Buckle up and leave no stone unturned during your preparation period. Good luck!