Performance in the Group Discussion (GD) round plays an integral part of the selection criteria of the Indian Institute for Foreign Trade (IIFT). It helps carve out the best abilities of a candidate and what his stand is about the given topic.
IIFT GD will be held after the Essay Writing round. IIFT will conduct its selection process rounds from January 2018 onwards, post declaration of IIFT Result in December 2017. The GD/PI rounds will be held at multiple centres across India. The result for shortlisted candidates will be uploaded online. Here is how IIFT will weigh all its selection stages:
Read about IIFT Exam
Often, candidates are curious to know about the most asked topics and topper experiences for IIFT GD round. This article will answer all your questions:
IIFT GD Pattern
Here is a general pattern what the IIFT GD follows:
- GD is given a total weightage of 10% of the total marks required to be qualified.
- The group consists of 12 students and 2 panellists.
- Initially everyone is given 1 minute to speak and then the group is given 15-20 minutes to do the discussion.
- Generally, panellists lose interest and the discussion room end up becoming a fish market. So, try to be sharp with your answers.
- The total time comes around to be 40 minutes.
Check IIFT Selection Procedure
IIFT GD Topics 2017
- IIFT GD Topics are generally connected to economics, current affairs or any topic of environmental concern.
- It is best to stay updated by reading plenty of newspapers and magazines, so that there is not last-minute panic for preparation.
- Although any random topic can be given, but based on analysis of previous years trend, some important include:
|IIFT GD Topics|
|Can the world economy bank upon India for growth?||Startup India.|
|Demonetization 2016.||Exemptions in odd- even rule.|
|Trump as US president.||United Nations Climate Change Conference.|
|GST introduction in India.||Equality Important.|
|Developing an entrepreneurial ecosystem in India.||Are the companies in India socially important.|
|Surgical strike 2016.||Jio and it’s impact.|
|India at Olympics and para Olympics.||Food Security.|
|Net neutrality.||Uniform civil code.|
Read IIFT Exam Pattern
IIFT GD Experience
- Shambahvi Singh, IIFT topper for the year 2012 says that IIFT GD was a great experience as there was plenty of time given to everyone to put their thoughts forward. She also added that there is a possibility that the evaluating professor may make anybody a moderator at anytime.
- Ishan Arora, IIFT student of class 2012 said, “IIFT has a slightly different GD where every person is given 2 minutes initially to state his/her views on the topic, after which the floor is thrown open for discussion for about 15-20 minutes.” The topic of his essay writing was “The British Raj: Boon or Bane for India”.
- IIFT topper Molabi Banarjee, who enrolled for the MBA program after the engineering was over said that ““The IIFT GD goes on for 45 minutes which gives everybody ample time to present their points of views, it also allows for a more organized and well rounded discussion. The essay also tests the participants on their clarity of thought and time management skills.”
- IIFT Student Mohit Das said about GD, that “Another blank sheet was given, the GD topic was told “Is e-commerce killing brick and mortar”. IIFT GD is notoriously famous for giving everyone a chance to speak for 1 minute at the beginning. For us, it was the same. After each person had spoken for 1 minute, the floor was left open for discussion for another 15-20 minutes. Again, everyone was well prepared and like always, the GD became a fish market. The panellist never interfered. They were marking points as to who was speaking and at what point. After a while the panellist lost interest and started walking around. They stopped the GD around 17-18 minutes (after initial 1 minute speak up).
How to Prepare for IIFT GD?
Here are some simple tricks to help you ace the GD round of IIFT Exam.
- Keep in mind the two aspects of your answer: 1. What you have to say and 2. How you have to say it?
- Content must be valid and focused delivery.
- Maintain calm and decorum while answering.
- Explain the big picture of the statement.
- Use data to support your statement.
- Consider the too and froo side of your response.
- Questions can come from any sphere so it is best to prepare all topics of concern.
- Read the newspapers of past 2-3 months.
- Read magazines of past 6 months like TIME, competition success, etc.
- Try to remember short stories or gist of novels you have read.
- Be prepared with a brief overview of your work experience.
- You may be asked to give your personal experience through all the years of your education.
- Questions on basic logical inclinations and puzzles can be asked. You may have to state the method just and no need of the final answer.
- Just be honest with your words and opinions as you may be confused if they start asking questions.
Read IIFT Last Minute Preparation Tips