Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET) is organised by Anna University, Chennai on behalf of Government of Tamil Nadu. It is a state-level entrance test for admission to courses like M Tech/ ME/ M Plan/ M Arch/ MBA/ MCA/ Lateral entry to MCA program that are offered in various institutes of Tamil Nadu.
For the architectural courses, TANCET checks a student's ability in the field of architecture. The topics covered under this head include drawing and observation skills, sense of proportion, aesthetic sensitivity and critical thinking. These are imbibed in a person for a long period of time. But honing and the polishing is done by studying extensive study material and solving as many questions possible.
As per TANCET exam pattern, the paper has 100 MCQs. Questions from Engineering Maths, Basic Engineering Sciences and Architecture are asked. To tackle these questions like a pro, we have some expert tips for TANCET 2018. Read on.
TANCET 2018 M.Arch. Preparation Tips for Part I & II
TANCET M Arch Part I & II hold 20 questions each. The questions are based on the topics studied until graduation level. Hence, a comprehensive knowledge of TANCET Syllabus is very important.
Once you are through with the important topics, refer to the below preparation tips:
- Get hold of the best TANCET preparation books. Instead of mulling over multiple books, extract all maths material and put it at one place.
- Refer to guides and books of well published authors. In the market, you can find a number of books that deal especially for Architectural Maths. In these books, you can find a number of questions that deal directly or indirectly with architecture. Questions asked in the previous years will also be available here.
- After collecting all study material, start practicing. Arrange your day so that you can give attention to all the three sections.
- Since maths carries only 20 questions, study the important topics and be clear with the concepts.
CheckTANCET Preparation Tips 2018 for Engineering Mathematics
TANCET 2018 M.Arch. Preparation Tips for Part III
This section of TANCET M Arch has 60 questions on core Architecture. Since the section is the widest, the syllabus to cover this section spreads over 6 sub-heads. The tips to solve this section below:
- Building Materials, Construction, and Technology
- Under this section, students should be aware of various building materials used in the world of architecture, like lime, brick, stone, clay products, timber, paints, varnishes and other ferrous and nonferrous metals.
- Aspirants should have good knowledge of glass, plastics, eco-friendly materials, thermal insulation and acoustic (sound-producing) materials.
- Candidates should be well aware of the techniques being used to make meaningful constructions of the above-listed materials.
- Nowadays, pest control is often sought after while creating any structure hence aspirants are advised to study pest control also. Download TANCET Sample Papers
- History of Architecture
- As the name suggests, this section will ask questions related to history of Architecture from ancient to modern world.
- History books are filled with architecture of olden times. Specific sections that can be asked are Indian architecture- Hindu and Islamic, Indo-Saracenic, Secular architecture of the princely states of India, Colonial and Post-Independence Architecture, Prominent works of Charles Correa, BV Doshi, Laurie Baker, Ananth Raje, Raj Rewal and other architects.
- Questions related to Western architecture can also be asked like- Ancient Greek, Rome, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Chicago School and Classism are major topics that should be covered.
- Modern architecture, Arts and Craft, Art Nouveau, Expressionism, Cubism can also be covered.
- International Style, Critical regionalism theories and projects of FL Wright, Le Corbusier, Gaudi, Gropius, Aalto, Zaha Hadid and other prominent Architect's works can also be asked in this section.
- Theory and Principles of Architecture
- Under this section, Elements and Ordering principles, Organisation of form and space, Design Methodology and Creative Thinking are given vital importance.
- This subhead is mainly to check if your basics about architecture are clear or not. Hence pattern making, diagrams, Shape Grammar, Digital hybrid and questions related to Liquid Architecture may also be asked.
Check Top 5 Websites and Forums for TANCET 2018 Online Preparation
- Building Services
- Constructing any structure also requires well-managed water supply and distribution systems, water and waste management, Sewerage System and Electrical systems.
- Candidates should have a good eye to take care of these important aspects. Also, Fire Safety building automation, Illumination and Lighting should also be drawn feasibly.
- Building Science
- Science also plays a vital role in architecture. How well is your structure resistant to climate changes ultimately judges the quality of your built structure.
- Solar shading, sounds, and day ventilation should also be included while creating a good building. Students should prepare for landscape designs and environment control related questions.
- This section deals with the politics involving a state or country. Therefore students must be well equipped about National Housing Policy, Indira Awas Yojana, housing projects being taken in India and mandatory housing standards followed in India.
- Case studies on urban revitalization from developed and developing economies should be studied well.
- Planning concepts given by Patrick Geddes, Ebenezer Howard and CA Perry should be memorized. Similarly, knowledge of urban planning regional planning and urban renewal in Indian context should be thoroughly studied.
These tips will be very useful for you to fetch an awesome TANCET Result. Scoring well may land you in your dream college, where you can emerge as a competent and well skilled architect. So, study well! We wish you luck!