CLAT Application Form 2018 will be available in the first week of January 2018. Candidates can complete CLAT Registration and submit CLA Application Form online at clat.ac.in. All candidates who satisfy CLAT Eligibility can proceed to fill the application form.
Here are the 4 basic steps to apply for CLAT:
- CLAT Registration- Candidates provide their basic information at the CLAT official website in order to register themselves.
- Fill CLAT Application Form- Here, candidates select their choice of college and course. They also fill-in all the asked information.
- Upload Images- This step requires you to upload scanned images of your photograph. Make sure you adhere to the specifications.
- Pay Application Fee- You may choose between online or offline modes of payment. CLAT Application Fee is different for candidates from different categories.
All candidates who register successfully can appear for CLAT in May 2018. CLAT is a national level entrance exam organised rotationally by 18 NLUs (National Law University). It is conducted to grant admissions to LLB and LLM courses offered at various law universities in India.
CLAT 2018 Highlights and Important Dates
For academic session 2018-19, the schedule for CLAT 2018 is expected to be released in December 2017 at clat.ac.in. Tabulated below are tentative CLAT 2018 important dates and exam highlights:
|Exam Name||Common Law Admission Test (CLAT)|
|Level of Exam||National Level|
|Mode of CLAT Application||Online|
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Beginning of CLAT Registration ||January 01, 2018|
|Last Date to submit CLAT Online Form||March 31, 2018|
|Availability of CLAT Admit Card 2018||April 20, 2018|
CLAT Eligibility 2018
According to the eligibility criteria devised by the examination authority, there are separate eligibility criteria for LLB and LLM programs. A candidate must fulfill these criteria in order to be eligible for form-filling. Candidates can check CLAT Eligibility Criteria for different programs below:
- An applicant must have a minimum aggregate of 45% marks in class 12 qualifying examination for admission to LLB programs and an aggregate of 50% marks in graduation for admission to LLM program.
- There is a 5% relaxation of marks for SC, ST, OBC and PwD candidates.
- The maximum age requirement to appear in CLAT is 20 years for LLB course. 2 years of relaxation is given to candidates belonging to SC/ST Category.
- There is no bar on age for candidates opting for LLM Course.
Documents Required for CLAT Registration
Since the process for applying for CLAT 2018 is entirely online, it becomes necessary for candidates to have a high quality scanned copy of all the important documents. Therefore, candidates are advised to have self-attested scanned copies of the documents mentioned below before starting filling CLAT Application Form. The required documents are:
- Birth Certificate or Passport
- Class 10 Mark Sheet
- Class 12 Mark sheet
- Recent front facing passport sized photograph with clear lenses in the prescribed format (30mm x 45mm, JPG/JPEG format, within 100 kb size).
- Signature of the candidate in the prescribed format (JPG/JPEG format, size not more than 100 kb).
Following documents are only for those candidates who satisfy the necessary criteria:
- Category certificate for SC/ST /OBC category candidates.
- Specially Abled Persons (SAP) must have the Certificate of Impairment and also the Scribe Declaration Form by the Scribe in the prescribed format.
- Certificates supporting the category like E.B.C., B.C., W.B.C., D.F.F., S.E.B.C, ancestral residents of Sidhuwal, district- Patiala.
- Certificate establishing the Dependency on Freedom Fighters of U.P. and Kashmiri Migrant, Son/Daughter of Defense Personnel deployed/retired/killed or disabled in action in the U.P.
- NRI/NRI sponsored candidate must have certificates to support their claim.
- Domicile certificate is necessary, if applicable, for students wishing to have consideration under State Quota.
CLAT Application Fee 2018
- The payment of CLAT Application Fee 2018 is done only in online mode.
- Payment can be made through net banking or debit card/credit card.
- Candidate will have to bear the bank transaction charges for remitting the fee online/ offline.
- Application fee for CLAT 2018 is lesser for candidates belonging to SC/ST category.
The application fee for CLAT 2018 is as shown below-
|General/OBC/SAP/ any other||INR 4,000|
In case candidate wishes to obtain the previous years’ CLAT question papers for aiding in preparation of CLAT 2018, they can pay additional amount of INR 400. This fee for previous years’ CLAT question papers is independent and is not included in the application fee.
How to Apply for CLAT 2018?
Before applying for CLAT 2018, candidates must keep ready some of the key details/ documents that are stated below.
- Valid E-mail Address
- Valid Mobile Number
- Scanned Copy of Photograph
- Credit Card/ Debit Card (if applicable)
CLAT Application Form 2018 will be available online at CLAT official website. There is no offline method to apply for CLAT. The steps to apply for CLAT 2018 are mentioned below:
Step 1: CLAT Registration
The first step of application is the CLAT Registration. Candidates will have to register at the online interface called the CAPS (CLAT Admission Processing System) by creating a login account with their email id:
- Go to the official id of CLAT and look for ‘New Registration’ link.
- Click on it, you will be redirected to a new page.
- Provide your personal details such as name, date of birth and contact information.
- On submitting the given information, candidates will receive login id and password via mail to registered email id and via SMS on registered mobile number.
Step 2: Fill CLAT Application Form
After successful registration on CLAT Admissions Processing System (CAPS), candidate can log in using email id and password generated. The candidate can then proceed to fill out the application. The steps involved in form filling are as follows:
Enter your Personal Details
After logging to the website enter the following details-
- Select your state/ UT of original residential/ Domicile
- Select your category and as well as sub-category
- Select special category (if required)
- Select gender type and region
- Now fill your complete address
- Click on save and continue button
Enter your Educational Details
- Select grading mechanism (Marking Scheme or other)
- Select year of passing the 12th class
- Enter Board Name
- Enter maximum marks, mark obtained and percentage of mark
- Now click on save and continue button
Note: Candidates are required to convert grade /CGPA (if any) into percentage.
Preference for NLUs
- Choose NLUs as per your preference
- The same preferential choices will be considered during CLAT Counselling
- Click on save and continue button.
Step 3: Upload Documents
In this step, you have to upload your scanned copy of photo, signature and DOB certificate. Scanned copies of SC/ST and/or SAP certificates/ state domicile (in PDF format), Scribe Declaration form in case of SAP candidates are also to be uploaded, if applicable. And also enter the 3 cities for CLAT Exam Centers. After uploading each file successfully click on save and continue button.
- Click on browse button
- Select the location where you have saved your file
- Then select the file
- If file is larger than crop it
- Close the window
Step 4: Pay the Application Fee
There are two available modes of paying CLAT Application Fee- Online and Offline.
Online Payment Mode
- If you select online mode to pay the application fee using Debit/ Credit card/ net banking account. Charges may vary depend upon the payment option.
- Now select either card or net banking options
- If select card method for payment, ill your card details (select card type, card number, expiry date, and CVV number)
- If select net banking, from the CAPS interface, you will be redirected to a bank you choose
- Login with your net banking id (user id and password)
- Pay the application fee by clicking on pay now button
- Once you confirm, you will be redirected back to the CAPS Interface
Offline Payment Mode (E-Challan)
If you select offline mode to pay the application fee through e-challan then e-challan will be generated in PDF format. Go to any ICICI branch and pay the fee before the last date.
- If you choose to pay the fee through bank challan then click on e-challan
- Download it and take a printout on an A4 paper
- Now fill few more details such as date and signature
- Go to any nearest ICICI bank branch (There is no need to have an account in then bank/branch)
- Pay the application fee there
- The bank will retain one copy and give back another copy to the candidate which he/she has to retain for reference
- The application fee amount and the bank charges for the challan option will be shown to the candidate and he/she has to confirm that the payment is for CLAT 2018
Note: No changes can be made in the application form after it is submitted and the bank challan is generated by the system. The candidate must ensure that the formalities for offline payment are completed before the due date.
CLAT Application Form Status
- The online application for CLAT 2018 must be checked thoroughly and then submitted.
- Upon successful submission, the portal generates an Auto Generated ID or Registration Number and a password, this indicates successful submission of application.
- Candidate is advised to take the printout of CLAT Application Form and keep the hard copy of it for future reference.
- Along with the hard copy of CLAT application form, they must also keep the Auto Generated ID and password safely.
- Fee receipt generated after successful payment of the application fee must also be kept safely.
- If candidate is sent a blank or zero registration ID after submission of the online application then it is to be understood that the online application submission was not successful and candidate has to start the application procedure freshly.
How to Retrieve Password and Login ID?
The email id used at the time of registration can be used as the login ID. At any time, from completing the registration to successful submission, in case, candidate forgets or misplaces the password, candidate can visit the official website (www.clat.ac.in) and click on link ‘Forgot Password’ and follow simple instructions mentioned to reset the password.
As mentioned in the previous section, if candidate receives a blank/zero registration ID after submission, the entire application procedure has to be started from scratch. Online CLAT application form submission is only successful if candidate receives the auto generated ID/registration ID and password post application submission.
CLAT Registration for International Applicants
- CLAT examination is conducted only for Indian Nationals and NRIs.
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) are advised to go through the details of NRI quota for each of the participating institutes in the information brochure of these institutes, separately, as there is a different quota based reservations in each of these participating institutes.
- Though foreign nationals are not eligible to apply and appear for CLAT, they can directly approach and seek admissions in Universities that reserves seats for foreign nationals.
CLAT Application Form Correction
While applying for CLAT 2018, aspirants need to be extremely careful while filling application form. Once candidate submits the completely filled CLAT application form, there is no way of making changes or corrections to CLAT application form. It is also not possible for the candidate to change the submitted choice of preference of universities.
However, if there is still time, candidate can submit a fresh application. Upon this, a new ID will be generated and the candidate has to pay application fee again.
The application fee paid for the previous application will not be refunded. In case of multiple application submissions, last application will be considered only.