While preparing for IELTS, test takers might think that it one of the most difficult exams for English language proficiency. Examiners measure how well the test-taker uses English for writing, listening, speaking and reading in IELTS. Every year, thousands of candidates taker IELTS for admission requirements. To score well in IELTS, one needs to be equally well in all respective sections. IELTS experts share valuable advice to make the exam easier for the students. For IELTS reading purposes it is preferred to use news channels as the main sources for practicing. Before practicing, first, understand for which pattern are you preparing whether it’s IELTS Academic or IELTS General Training? IELTS Academic is mostly for those who want to study abroad in the best universities in the world to pursue higher education whereas IELTS General Training is mostly for those candidates who want to migrate for employment opportunities.
Few basic steps to excel in IELTS Reading Section
- At first, get an idea of both digital and print news sections. Without knowing the medium of publication it will be difficult for one to decide how to proceed for practicing.
- In most cases now both the digital and print media houses publish similar kinds of news. In terms of approach, for print media, it is more formal than digital media.
- Find out the best websites that share important news regarding world business, economy, technology, and education. These are the main topics that have been asked in IELTS Writing section. The few best websites are like Google, BBC, Economic Times, NY Times, Atlantic, Guardian, and Pitch Fork. In most of these websites, you will find out Standard English for communication that will in turn help to learn new words for vocabulary.
- Try to focus on the economy or political scenario of the world. If the test taker has a good knowledge over world politics or economy it will help in framing the argumentative essay for IELTS writing section. Whereas for IELTS reading section, one will learn more about the administration or political turbulence happening in the world.
- It is always advisable to read the same article from two or three different sources. When the test takers will read the same article from different sources, it will help them in understanding the meaning of the writing piece in depth. There are many words one can find out in two or three different essays, so for a particular topic, one can learn about a few new words.
- Just like the news, the journal is another most important sources to learn vocabulary for IELTS Reading section. In most cases, one will find out scholarly essays in a journal that will in turn help in understanding the representing a particular topic with proper insights.
- Few test takers get confused with the news article reporting and journal writing. For journal writing, one has to take a scholarly approach whereas for news articles reporting it is all about publishing the truth to the public.
Few Steps how to use Newspaper for IELTS
Not only for the reading section but also for other sections in IELTS reading newspaper is like strengthening the vocabulary. For test-takers, it becomes really difficult to use the perfect vocabulary for the exam. Therefore one has to be very critical in choosing the correct newspaper.
- At first, choosing the correct newspaper for non-native English speakers is quite difficult. Try to follow those newspapers that are circulated widely.
- After choosing the newspaper, the next step is to find out the correct news article for practicing. As mentioned earlier it is preferred to choose articles from the subjects related to education, technology, economy, politics, business, and environment mostly.
- Now coming to the most difficult part that is practicing. IELTS Listening can be a little difficult for non-English speakers due to the accent. Therefore while listening to English news channels, it is always preferred to write down important points as heard. It should also be kept in mind that the audio will be played only for once. Fluency of English will be different in news channels so for better understanding, the beginners should use either YouTube or other online streaming platforms for the uninterrupted play buttons.
- Next coming to IELTS Reading section, newspapers are used for learning vocabulary mainly. Focus on knowing news words by using highlights while reading. Find out words, then write down its meaning, antonym, intonation, pronunciation as well as spelling. While finding out the etymological meaning of the word, one will definitely find out similar words easily.
- Make it a habit of reading new words from the newspaper every day. In the beginning, it will be difficult at first to cope up with news words, with the passage of time, one will know a lot about words and its synonyms, antonyms, and meanings. At first, the reading pace will be slow, then the candidates start picking up the speed of reading new words for IELTS Reading.
- First, find out any specific topic of own choice from the above-mentioned topics from the newspaper. One has to remember, that the examiners of IELTS measure how well one knows the perfect usage of English in this exam. If one finds out any topic then the next step will be writing a short summary on the same topic in own words. Now you will find out how well the words have been used from the newly learned words given by the newspaper.
- Next step in IELTS preparation will be in proper representation of argument and ideas through own words. One has to be very clear about using the words properly for the exam. It is like building the block kind of approach whatever learned from previous steps have to be implemented on the next step.
- News channels help in learning the speaking accent. Take any random topic of own choice, then speak for 2-3 minutes uninterruptedly. It is advised to record this piece of speech for future reference. After recording, the candidate can find out the probable mistakes made during the recording.
- IELTS preparation requires expert help. One can practice as much as one wants but whether that practice has the right approach or not needs to be evaluated. Most of the candidates seek help from the seniors or teachers or someone in the family who has already taken the exam.
- Newspapers in all forms are equally important for the candidates in IELTS preparation stage. Quality of English used in a well-circulated English daily will help you understand your own English level.