IES 2018 is set to be conducted in January 08, 2017. UPSC demands students to meet IES Eligibility Criteria mentioned in the article. IES invites students of certain age, nationality, medical standards and educational background to take the written test followed by selection process. Let’s take quick look at the IES Eligibility.
- Resident of India, Nepal, Bhutan or a Tibetan refugee can apply for IES 2018
- Candidate must hold bachelor’s degree in the field of engineering from a recognized University
- Age limit: 21-30 years as on January 01, 2018.
IES Eligibility- Nationality
Students applying for Indian Engineering Services must follow be any one of the following nationality. Meeting the following criteria is mandatory and students unable to meet any one of listed eligibility will be removed from the process thereafter.
- Students must be a citizen of India/Nepal/Bhutan.
- Students who are Tibetan refugee migrated to India before January 1, 1962 with the intention to settle permanently in India.
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently setting in India.
The certificate of nationality will be accepted only if the candidate has received the certificate from Government of India. The absence of a valid certificate for UPSC IES exam will lead to the rejection of candidature.
Read About IES Exam Pattern
IES Eligibility- Age Limit
Criteria for Age Limit in IES states that lower age limit for UPSC IES exam is 21 years and Upper Age Limit is 30 years.
The candidate applying for IES must meet the mentioned IES Age Elgibility by January 1, 2018. Candidates who have served in any government organization will get an age relaxation of 5 years in the upper age limit. The UPSC Age Criteria defined by UPSC makes it clear that any government official who is applying for the UPSC exam will be getting the age relaxation even if he/she already is working on a post which is considered of a higher officer cadre.
- UPSC also provides age relaxation to students who have worked with any government organization on a contractual basis for a period of 3 years or more. The service on the contractual basis will be counted till January 1, 2017.
- SC/ST/OBC candidates will also receive an age relaxation of 5 years on the upper age limit. The ex-servicemen candidates will also receive an age relaxation of 5 years.
- Physically disabled candidates will also get an age relaxation of 3 years.
Candidates of SC/ST/OBC/Ex-servicemen quota will receive cumulative reservation benefits on upper age limit if applicable. To claim any reservation the certificate signed by the accepted government authorities must be obtained. The valid certificate will be accepted and the background verification for all information will be done.
IES Eligibility- Educational Qualification
The educational qualification IES Criteria as defined for the UPSC requires the applicant to have cleared one of the following criteria:
- Candidate has cleared the B.Tech/M.Tech degree from a recognized institute with the minimum percentage required.
- Candidate has cleared section A and B from the Institutions of engineers (India).
- Candidate has received a degree or diploma from any recognized institute outside India and the certificate is valued as equivalent to the degree received in India.
- Candidate has passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India).
- Candidate has passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India.
- Candidate has passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November 1959.
The UPSC Education Criteria has following exceptions:
- If the candidate has cleared UPSC IES and has not received the result of the final examination will be admitted only if he/she furnishes the final mark sheet during the UPSC selection process.
- The candidate who has cleared UPSC IES exam but has received a degree from a foreign university which is not accepted as equivalent to the Indian education standards may get selected. The selection, in this case, is dependent on the UPSC selection committee choice.
- The candidate who does not have an engineering degree but has cleared the UPSC IES exam will also be selected for the post if the degree is considered equivalent to standards of the engineering degree.
IES Eligibility- Medical Examination Standards
All the candidates irrespective of the UPSC IES reservation criteria have to undergo the medical examination process. The process requires the applicant who has cleared the UPSC IES exam to undergo a series of physical fitness test. The standards are to be cleared by all candidates irrespective of their previous appearance for the examination. The medical examination defined by UPSC will be conducted at the various Railway hospitals. The candidates who are found unfit will be disqualified from the further procedure.