The Union Public Commission holds the Engineering Services Examination (ESE) in three stages viz.
- IES Preliminary
- IES Mains and
- Interview/ Personality Test
The first to papers are written examinations, whereas Personality Test is a one on one round. Candidates qualifying Prelims and Mains have to appear for the Interview round for final selection.
Check What is IES/ ESE?
Through IES, engineers can work under GOI in the following sectors:
- Indian Railways,
- Power Telecommunications,
- Central water Engineering,
- Defence service of Engineers,
- Central Engineering services etc
Check Career Opportunities after IES
Candidates preparing for the interview round can check some important guidelines and questions asked in IES interview in the following article.
IES Common Interview Questions
While appearing for any interview, the first round is usually about self-introduction. The interviewer asks some personal questions to the aspirant to get a brief about candidate’s background. Some of the commonly asked questions in IES interview are listed below: -
Ques.1 Tell a brief about yourself?
Ques.2 Tell something about your family?
Ques.3 Questions may be asked related to your hobbies or personal interests
Ques.4 What do you do in your free time?
Ques.5 What are your strength and weak points?
Ques.6 Do you want to share some past experiences with us
Ques.7 Why do you want to join Engineering Services?
Ques.8 Have you appeared for any other exams also?
Ques.9 Are you interested in Civil Services?
Ques.10 So, if selected, in which post you are interested?
Ques.11 Why you chose B.Tech as a career option?
Check How to prepare for IES Interview Round?
Important Technical Questions for ESE ME Interview
After a brief self-introduction, the interviewer asks some technical questions related to candidate’s branch.
Some of the examples of technical questions asked in IES interview round are: -
- What are the changes that occur inside human body when a current is passed through it?
- Do you know the installed power generation capacity in India?
- What is the cost of per unit electricity in your city?
- Which type of irrigation you will provide in Haryana area
- Why Engineers day is celebrated?
- Tell us the advantage of corona?
- How will you explain the term microprocessors in layman’s term
- What is thermal conductivity?
- Explain the phenomena of spectrum?
- Can you explain wave equation on paper?
Interview Guidance for Exam
- Prepare all types of questions about your birth place, interest, hobbies, education, current events, technical subjects, etc.
- You can also try appearing for mock interviews that will help you analyse your weak points
- Study about all the departments offered through IES for e.g. if you are interested in Railways then be thorough about it.
Some of the commonly asked questions in IES are:-
- Why do you want to join IES/ESE?
- Why do you want to join some particular department for e.g. Railways?
- Tell a brief about your current firm?
- Are you not satisfied with your current job?
- How you being an IES officer will help the nation?
- Why you want to join Civil Service?
- Tell us about yourself?
Important Tips for Interview day of IES
On the day of IES Interview. After lots of hard work, preparation you have reached this stage. Performing well in IES interview is also equally important like rest of the stages. Here are some quick tips to help you face the IES interview round: -
- Dress formally (wear formals, suits, etc.) for the interview.
- Reach interview venue at least 60 minutes before the allocated time
- Whenever appearing for an interview, always show a smiling face
- Be confident. Believe in yourself. You have worked hard and you will achieve your goal
- Carry all the required documents and photocopies as there will be a document verification round before going to interview
- After the document verification, you will get the chance to meet the group members.
- Make sure you don’t carry any items to interview hall.
- Be positive. Enter the room with a smile and welcoming attitude
- Don’t panic in front of the interview panel.