SSC JE Civil and Structural Syllabus comprises various topics from Aptitude, GK and topics taught during the diploma for Civil and Structural Engineering. In SSC JE Paper-I, candidate’s knowledge will be tested in the following three papers:General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness, and Basic Engineering. Here are few important topics related to SSC JE Syllabus for Civil Engineering.
Latest: The registration for SSC JE 2019 has been started. You can apply online at ssc.nic.in till February 25. Apply Here
- Syllabus for General Intelligence Reasoning and General Awareness will be same as of different examination conducted by the SSC.
- Questions standard for Basic Engineering Subjects will be of the level of Diploma in Engineering(Civil/Electrical/Mechanical) from a recognized Institute, Board or University recognized by All India Board of Technical Education. All the questions will be set in SI units.
- SSC JE Syllabus for General Awareness includes questions from current events and happenings across the world.
About SSC JE 2019:-
Staff Selection Commission conducts Junior Engineer (SSC JE) Exam for the recruitment of Junior Engineer in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical trade. SSC JE Exam consists of two papers: Paper-I & Paper-II.
- Paper-I will be conducted in Online Mode of a total of 200 Objective Type Questions of one mark each, 0.25 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer. Exam duration will be 120 minutes.
- Paper-1 Questions will be divided into 3 parts: (A) General Intelligence & Reasoning, (B) General Awareness and (C) Basic Engineering.
- Basic Engineering Section is of three parts: Part-A (Civil & Structural), Part-B(Electrical) and Part-C (Mechanical). Candidates have to attempt only one part which is relevant to his/her post. Download SSC JE Practice Papers
Candidates who will qualify the Paper-I exam will be eligible to appear in the Paper-II exam.
- Paper-II is of conventional type and carries three parts in which candidates have to attempt only one part relevant to his/her post.
- Paper-II is a total of 300 marks and exam duration will be 120 minutes. There will be no negative marking in Paper-II.
In this article, we are giving you the detailed SSC JE Syllabus for Civil and Structural Paper.
SSC JE Civil and Structural Syllabus: Exam Pattern
SSC JE Written test will be consist of two question papers viz., Paper-I and Paper-II. Paper-I will be conducted online having Objective Type Multiple Choice questions where candidates will choose one correct option from the options. Paper-II will be of conventional type and will be conducted in Pen and Paper mode. Candidates appearing for the post of Junior Engineer (Civil), Junior Engineer (Quantity Surveying & Contract) are required to attempt Part A (Civil & Structural) of Paper-I and Paper-II
- Paper-I of SSC JE will be of objective type and candidates will have to choose one most appropriate answer from the four options given below the questions.
- The time duration of the question paper will be 120 minutes.
- Paper-I question paper will consist of 200 questions of one mark each whereas 0.25 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- Paper-I will be divided into three sections: General Intelligence & Reasoning; General Awareness and General Engineering (Civil & Structural).
Given below is the subject wise weightage of questions in SSC JE Paper I:
- Paper-II of SSC JE will be of descriptive nature of total 300 marks.
- All the candidates need to have substantial knowledge of all the topics in the Syllabus of the examination along with excellent writing skills.
- The duration of the question paper will be 120 minutes
Read More About SSC JE Exam Pattern
SSC JE Civil Syllabus for General Intelligence & Reasoning
This section test candidate’s ability to identify patterns, understanding of logical links. This section will also include questions specifically designed to test candidate’s ability to deal with abstract ideas and symbols. Questions of both verbal and non-verbal type will be asked.
Questions will be based on the following topics:
|Analytical reasoning||Space Visualization|
|Series & Sequences||Problem-solving|
|Data Interpretation (Bar Graph, Line Graph, Pie Chart, Table Chart)||Judgement and Decision-making|
|Blood relation||Visual memory|
|Visual Reasoning||Verbal and Figure classification|
|Similarities||Arithmetical Number Series|
Also Check SSC JE Electrical Syllabus
SSC JE Preparation Books for General Intelligence and Reasoning
- Model Approach to Logical Reasoning by R. S. Aggarwal (ISBN-10: 8121919053)
- Analytical Reasoning by M. K. Pandey (ISBN-10: 8190458914)
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by Abhijit Guha (ISBN-10: 9351343553)
SSC JE General Intelligence and Reasoning Preparation Tips
- Spend some seconds over a question and study each question carefully. A brief explanation of why each choice is correct or incorrect should go into candidates’ mind.
- Candidates should never assume or use any information which is not given in the question. Observe only the information given in each question when choosing among the alternative responses.
- Candidates should read both the factual passage and the instructions for the question carefully. Both must be considered in choosing the answer.
- Be sure to read all the response choices carefully before eliminating or choosing one of them.
- Candidate can solve most of these questions by following certain tricks and shortcut methods. Therefore, a practice of previous year papers and chapter wise questions is important.
- Candidate should solve questions regularly to get a good grip of it as ample practice should be there.
- Candidate can also prepare for this section is by regularly solving crossword puzzles, Sudoku, riddles etc.
SSC JE Civil Syllabus for General Awareness
- Questions will be aimed at testing candidate’s awareness about the environment and its application to society.
- Events of National and International importance covering current as well as historical events in the area of Economics, Science, Technology, Sports, Persons and Places, Books and Authors.
- This section will also test candidates’ knowledge associated with India and its neighboring countries with reference to History, Culture, Geography, Economic Science, General Polity and Scientific Research, etc.
- The General knowledge section in SSC JE Paper-I contains 50 questions. This section is the scoring subject in SSC JE to the candidate who has interest to stays aware about the latest happenings and events.
SSC JE Preparation Books for General Awareness
- Manorama Yearbook 2017 (English) 50th Edition (ASIN: B00O1N77HG)
- Lucent’s General Knowledge (ISBN-10: 8192933563)
SSC JE Preparation Tips for General Awareness
- Read Newspaper daily and watch the news for at least 30 mins to have the best idea of what is happening around in order to get through General Knowledge.
- Lucent’s General Knowledge book is sufficient for candidates to prepare well for this section
SSC JE Civil Syllabus for General Engineering (Civil & Structural)
Candidates who will appear for the posts of Junior Engineer(Civil), Junior Engineer (Quantity Surveying & Contract) have to attempt Part A(Civil & Structural) of the third section of Paper-I. This section will contain 100 MCQs based on the Basic Engineering topics related to Civil and Structural Engineering.
|Topic||Subtopics||No. of Questions|
|Building Materials||Cement, Concrete, Stone & Brick Masonry Aggregates, Timber & Paints||20-25|
|Surveying||Principles, Linear Measurement, Angular Measurement & Levelling, Contouring, Tachometric Survey, Curve Setting, Earth Work Calculation, Advanced Surveying Equipment||10-12|
|Hydraulics||Fluid properties, Hydrostatics, measurements of flow, Bernoulli’s theorem, Flow in open channels & pipes, Pumps & Turbines||10-12|
|Strength of Materials||Elasticity constants, Types of beams (determinate and indeterminate), Bending Moment and Shear force diagrams of simply supported, Cantilever and over hanging beams, Torsion and Springs, Columns||10-12|
|RCC Design||Limit State and Working Stress methods, Refer IS 456:2000 code to solve Direct questions, Singly Reinforced Beams & Double Reinforced Beams, Shear Strength, Columns, Slabs & Footings, Staircases, Retaining Wall, Water tanks.||10-12|
|Steel Design||General design principles including riveted & welded connections, Column, Tension Members, Beam, Roof Truss & Girder||8-12|
|Estimating, Costing and Valuation||Estimation & Measurement of Brick work (Modular & Traditional bricks), RCC Work, Shuttering, Timber work, Painting, Flooring, Plastering, Trapezoidal formula, Simpson’s Rule, etc.||5-8|
|Soil Mechanics||Basic principles including phase diagram, index properties, classification. Permeability & effective stress, Compaction & consolidation. Shear strength of soils – a) Triaxial shear test b) Direct shear test c) Vane shear test. Bearing capacity of soil. Earth pressure theories.||5-8|
|Irrigation Engineering||Water Requirement of crops – Definition, Necessity, benefits, 2II effects of irrigation, Types and methods of irrigation, Hydrology – Measurement of rainfall, run off coefficient, rain gauge, Losses from precipitation – evaporation, infiltration, etc. Water requirement of crops, duty, delta and base period, Kharif and Rabi Crops, Command area, Time factor, Crop ratio, Overlap allowance, Irrigation efficiences. Design of canals – (a) Lacey’s theory b) Kennedy’s theory c) Type of canal, Weir and barrage, Floods & River training including cross drainage works.||3-5|
|Transportation Engineering||Highway Engineering: Geometric design, Pavement design, Highway materials including aggregates & bitumen, Traffic engineering, Railway Engineering||3-5|
Check SSC JE Mechanical Syllabus
SSC JE Preparation Books for General Engineering
Given below are the important preparation books to aid the preparation of this section:
|Book Name||Publisher Name|
|SSC JE Civil Objective Guide||Ramesh Publication|
|SSC Junior Engineer Civil and Structural Exam Guide||Disha Publication|
|SSC JE Civil Guide 2017||Disha Publication|
|SSC JE: Civil Engineering||Made Easy Editorial Board|
|Traffic Engineering and Transport Planning||by L. R. Kadiyali|
|Limit State Design of Steel Structures||S. K. Duggal|
SSC JE Preparation Tips for Basic Engineering
In this section, Candidates’ focus should be on concepts, principles and applications of the topic included in the syllabus. Here are few more preparation tips to score well in Basic Engineering section:
- Make the separate notes of all the formulas from all the chapters.
- In RCC Design and Steel Design, some questions based on the charts are asked which require mathematical techniques and reading of the chart, revise important mathematical formulae and have a grasp on how to read charts.
- Revision is a must. Make notes of important topics and figure in topic wise manner and keep revising them from time to time.
- Candidate should take the test of individual topics and evaluate his/her response.
SSC JE Civil Preparation Tips
Focusing on the topics and preparing well keeping SSC JE Syllabus as the base would help the candidate save time as well as has his/her attention on the important topics. SSC JE tests a student mainly on three major areas: General Awareness, General Intelligence and Reasoning and Basic Engineering.
One of the important steps toward a preparation is to identify the subjects of your interests and weaknesses and make an individual strategy for them.
Here are few basic SSC JE exam preparation tips which may be helpful for candidate appearing for SSC JE Exam: -
Guidance and Mentorship
- As Candidates are required to give your best in the limited time. They may face problems while going through different subject areas. A coaching institute, an experienced guide or a mentor will help a candidate a lot of the preparation.
- Coaching institutes provide aspirants with study materials, preparation tests and doubt analysis for strong and weak areas of the candidate, which will help candidates in deciding their approach towards each section of the subject.
Time Management and Practice for SSC JE Exam
Paper-I will be a Computer based Online Test. A total of 200 questions has to be attempted in 120 minutes.
- It is advisable to candidates to take topic-wise sectional tests and practice several mock papers and actual previous year papers, in order to get familiar with the pattern that is followed.
- Basic Engineering questions are time-consuming; therefore, it is advisable to plan accordingly. Managing time during preparation and during exam plays a very crucial role.
- Do not waste time on questions you don't understand, move on to next question.
- Practicing as much the candidate can from the past year question booklets and sample papers available on the internet and bookstores can help a lot in understanding the format and get along with the questions of the test.
Following are few basic tips on how to prepare for SSC JE Paper-I:
- Candidates should know the syllabus and keep updating themselves with the written examination syllabus and examination pattern for the better preparation.
- Candidates are advised to revise each and every topic on daily basis so to identify their examination preparation
- Candidate should take the online test on the regular basis to check their performance.
- Candidates need to manage time in such a way that they automatically attempt more questions. Candidates are advised to learn short tips and tricks.
- Candidates should regularly solve previous year papers to know about the type of questions asked in the examination. This helps candidates to know the level of paper.