SSC JE 2020 NEWS
NATIONAL LEVEL ONLINE/OFFLINE TEST
SSC JE Mechanical Syllabus consists of three sections namely- General Aptitude, General Awareness and General Engineering. Syllabus for SSC JE Mechanical will be of graduation level. Questions on topics studied throughout the Mechanical Engineering course will be asked in the exam. The detailed syllabus is mentioned in this article.
Latest Update: SSC JE 2019 registration has begun. Candidates can submit their applications till February 25. Apply Now
SSC JE (Staff Selection Commission Junior Engineers) examination is organized by SSC (Staff Selection Commission). It is a portal through which aspirants are recruited for the post of Junior Engineers, Group ‘B’ Non-Gazetted posts by the Commission. Aspirants must have a bachelor degree in civil, mechanical or electrical engineering to eligible to apply for SSC JE exam.
SSC JE consists of 2 papers- Paper 1 and Paper 2. The first stage – Paper 1, will be an objective type exam while Paper 2 will be a conventional subjective type exam.
SSC JE will comprise of 2 papers. Paper 1 will be an online, objective test. Those aspirants who qualify Paper 1 will be eligible to appear for Paper 2. The detailed exam pattern for both papers is mentioned below.
|Mode of SSC JE Paper I||Online|
|Number of questions||200|
|Marks for Correct Answer||+1|
|Duration of exam||2 hours|
Read More About SSC JE Exam Pattern
This section is designed to test aspirant’s knowledge in engineering of the respective field. The topics that need to be studied for SSC JE Mechanical stream are given below:
This topic is numerical based built on easy concepts. There are 17-20 questions from this topic in SSC JE Mechanical Exam. The major sub- topics are:
|Laminar and Turbulent flow||Measurement of Fluid Pressure|
|Fluid Kinematics||Dynamics of ideal fluids|
|Measurement of Flow Rate Basic Principles||Fluid Mechanics & Machinery|
|Properties and Classification of Fluid||Fluid Statics|
|Hydraulic Turbines||Bernoulli’s theorem|
|Centrifugal Pumps||Pipe flow|
Also Check SSC JE Electrical Syllabus
Sample questions for the topic:
1. For a fluid flow through a divergent pipe of length L and having an inlet and outlet radii of R1 and R2 respectively and a constant flow rate of Q, assuming the velocity to be axial and uniform at any cross-section, the acceleration at the exit will be
A) 2Q (R1 - R2) p LR23
B) 2Q2 (R2 - R1) p2LR25
C) 2Q2 (R1 - R2) p2LR25
D) 2Q2 (R1 - R2) p LR23
2. An incompressible fluid (kinematic viscosity, 7.4 x 10-7 m2/s, specific gravity, 0.88) is held between two parallel plates. If the plate at the top is moved with a velocity of 0.5 m/s while the bottom one is held stationary, the fluid attains a linear velocity profile in the gap of 0.5 mm between these plates; the shear stress in Pascals on the surface of top plate will be
A) 0.651 x 10-3
D) 0.651 x 103
3. In Red Wood Viscometer ______.
A) Absolute value of viscosity is determined
B) Part of the head of fluid is utilized in overcoming friction
C) Fluid discharges through orifice with negligible velocity
D) Comparison of viscosity is done
4. A rotameter is a device used to measure ______.
A) Velocity of fluid in pipes
B) Velocity of gauges
C) Votex flow
D) Flow of fluids
This is the most time- consuming topic which covers a lot of concepts. Mostly theoretical questions are asked from this chapter and some numericals from Welding and Metal cutting are asked. There 13-15 questions in the exam from this section. The major sub- topics are:
|Metal casting||Metal cutting and forming|
|Cutting tool||Heat treatment|
Sample questions for the topics:
1. Stud and projection welding belong to the following category of welding
A) gas welding
B) arc welding
C) resistance welding
D) pressure welding
2. For steel castings, the following type of sand is better _____.
C) medium grain
D) fine-grain, coarser-grain and medium grain all are equally good
3. Which of the following processes would produce best components?
A) die casting
B) hot rolling
4. A sprue hole is _____.
A) a casting defect
B) a hold made for riveting
C) a blind hole in jigs
D) an opening in mould for pouring molten metal
This section is also a time-consuming section. The difficulty level of this section is moderate. There are 10-11 questions from this topic in the exam. The major sub-topics are:
|Concept of simple machine||Four bar linkage and link motion|
|Power transmission by belts||Clutches|
|Flywheels and fluctuation of energy||Governors|
Sample questions are:
1. In gears, interference takes place when _____.
A) Tip of a tooth of a mating gear digs into the portion between base and root circles
B) Gears do not move smoothly in the absence of lubrication
C) Pitch of the gear is not same
D) Gear teeth are undercut
2. In a multiple V belt drive, when only a single belt is damaged, it is preferable to change the complete set so as to _____.
A) Reduce vibration
B) Ensure uniform loading
C) Reduce slip
D) Ensure proper alignment
3. The centre of gravity of the coupler link in a 4-bar mechanism would experience _____.
A) No acceleration
B) Only linear acceleration
C) Only angular acceleration
D) Both linear and angular accelerations
4. Quick return mechanism is an inversion of _____.
A) Four bar chain
B) Single slider crank chain
C) Double slider crank chain
D) Crossed slider crank chain
This chapter contains topics that need clear understanding of concepts. The difficulty level is moderate and some questions are time consuming. The accuracy level ranges from moderate to high. There are approximately 24-28 questions from this topic in SSC JE. The major sub-topics are:
|Properties of Pure Substances||1st Law of Thermodynamics|
|2nd Law of Thermodynamics||Air standard Cycles for IC Engines|
|Air Compressors & their cycles||Rankine cycle of steam|
|Refrigeration and Air Conditioning||Boilers|
Also Check SSC JE Civil Syllabus
Sample questions are:
1. Critical thickness of insulation for spheres is given by _____.
2. The ratio of the thickness of thermal boundary layer to the thickness of hydrodynamic boundary layer is equal to (Prandtl number) n, where n is______.
A) - 1/3
B) - 2/3
D) – 1
3. An ideal air compressor cycle (with clearance) on p-v diagram can be represented by ________ processes.
A) one adiabatic, two isobaric, and one constant volume
B) two adiabatic and two isobaric
C) two adiabatic, one isobaric, and one constant volume
D) one adiabatic, one isobaric, and two constant volume
4. Which surface will have the least emissivity?
A) Smooth glass
C) Aluminum foil
This is a numerical based topic consisting of difficult to grasp concepts. It is a moderately time-consuming chapter and is high scoring. 15-17 questions are asked from this topic in the exam. The major sub-topics are:
|Equilibrium of Forces||Law of motion|
|Friction||Elastic limit and elastic constants|
|Concepts of stress and strain||Bending moments and shear force diagram|
|Torsion of circular shafts||Stress in composite bars|
|Buckling of columns||Thin walled pressure vessels|
1. A solid shaft can resist a bending moment of 3 kNm and a twisting moment of 4 kNm together, then the maximum torque that can be applied is
A) 7.0 kNm
B) 3.5 kNm
C) 4.5 kNm
D) 5.0 kNm
2. Under torsion, brittle materials generally fail ______.
A) Along a plane perpendicular to its longitudinal axis
B) In the direction of minimum tension
C) Along surfaces forming a 45° angle with the longitudinal axis
D) Not in any specific manner
3. Consider the following theories of failure-
i. Maximum stress theory
ii. Maximum strain theory
iii. Maximum shear stress theory
iv. Maximum energy or distortion theory
The most suitable for ductile material i
A) i and ii
B) i and iii
C) i and iv
D) iii and iv
4. The Poisson's ratio for most of the materials is close to _____.
A) 1 : 2
B) 1 : 3
C) 1 : 4
D) 1 : 5
Given below are the topic wise important books which can aid the preparation of SSC JE 2019:
Books for Fluid Mechanics
Books for Production Engineering
Books for Theory of Machines and Machine Design
Books for Thermal Engineering
Books for Engineering Mechanics and Strength of Materials
A few preparation tips are mentioned here to help students tackle SSC JE exam and help them prepare well for the test.
Preparation Tips for General Intelligence & Reasoning and General Awareness-
The Staff Selection Commission has released SSC JE ...
One of the most awaited recruitment notifications ...
SSC JE answer key 2018 will be released by SSC onl ...