Synonyms/Antonyms in SSC CGL is the most scoring section in English Comprehension section. English Comprehension consists of 25 questions in Tier 1 where 2 marks are awarded for the every correct answer and contains 200 questions in Tier 2 where question carries 1 mark each.
- Synonym/Antonym consists of 3- 4 questions in Tier 1 i.e. total of 6- 8 marks. Tier 1 questions are of easy- moderate difficulty level.
- In Tier 2, the topic consists of 3 questions from Synonym and 3 questions (3 marks) from Antonym (3 marks).
- The questions from the topic are also asked in the Reading Comprehension section.
- Antonyms means the opposite meaning of the word given to us/ asked in the question and Synonym means the same meaning as that of the word.
Section is easy but vocabulary should be high so that candidate can answer the meaning/ opposite of any of the term.
Read More About SSC CGL
Important tips for Synonyms and Antonyms
- Never ignore a new word: Always look for the meaning of a new term you come across. Example if a word is Alluring and you don’t know its meaning, don’t ignore it. Just look for its meaning.
- Try to make sentence: After you look up meaning of a word, make a new sentence using that word because making a sentence will help you to memorize that term for a longer time period and also will tell you the proper usage of the term.
- Find Antonym of that word: Find the opposite meaning of that word because it will enhance your knowledge and will add more words to your dictionary. Try to make a sentence using both the terms – antonyms and synonyms.
- Look for all other words related to it: If you have a word, try to look for all its synonyms. Example- Beautiful also means pretty, handsome, attractive, good- looking, alluring, pre- possessing etc.
- Use newly learnt term in your routine: Try to use newly learnt words in your daily routine. It will also improve your communication skills.
- Do not depend on guess work – some terms will seem similar or are common but meanings of the term varies. So go through all the options properly and mark the most suitable option.
- Look at the options provided: The words are not what you will be thinking so try to look at all the options provided. In case meaning of the word is not clear go through all the options
Break a difficulty term: Try to break a difficult word because sometimes by breaking a term you get the correct meaning. Example: Erroneous
Erroneous means incorrect so option A. Read the word carefully. Sometimes word itself contains its meaning.
Some commonly used Synonym/ Antonyms
|Amazing||Incredible, unbelievable, improbable, fabulous, wonderful, fantastic, astonishing, astounding, extraordinary.||Unimpressive, mundane, unremarkable, monotonous|
|Anger||enrage, infuriate, arouse, nettle, exasperate, inflame, madden||Calm, delight, happiness, comfort, goodwill|
|Awful||dreadful, terrible, abominable, bad, poor, unpleasant||Agreeable, comforting, gentle, inoffensive, pleasing|
|Famous|| well-known, renowned, celebrated, famed, eminent, illustrious, distinguished, noted, notorious||Bad, inferior, ordinary, typical, insignificant|
|Make||create, originate, invent, beget, form, construct, design, fabricate, manufacture, produce, build, develop, do, effect, execute, compose, perform, accomplish, earn||Break, dismantle, give up, terminate, destroy|
|Strange||odd, peculiar, unusual, unfamiliar, uncommon, queer, weird, outlandish, curious, unique, exclusive, irregular||Customary, normal, similar, expected, conventional|
|True||accurate, right, proper, precise, exact, valid, genuine, real, actual, trusty, steady, loyal, dependable, sincere, staunch||Inaccurate, unsuitable, incorrect, deceptive, insincere|
Previous years SSC CGL Antonyms- Synonyms questions
Examples of Antonyms:
Minuscule means tiny, so antonym is massive
profound means intense or insightful. So antonym is superficial
3) wary means
Wary means careful so antonym is careless
Example of Synonyms:
viable means capable of working successfully, so workable. Do not get confuse between 2 words because sometimes words are kind of same.
it means winding. So option (c) is correct
Challenges faced by Students
- Language Difficulty: Meaning or Opposite of the word asked is sometimes very difficult to understand which leads to more time consumption during the examination. So candidates are advised to practice synonym/ Antonyms questions as much as they can.
- Time Management: Sometimes Candidate knows all the answers but still due to lack of management they fail to complete their paper. So management is must. Candidates should divide their time as per the sections. Difficult topic should be given more time and easy topics should be solved as early as possible.
General Tips for SSC CGL Synonym/ Antonym Preparation
- Practice: Practice is the key to success. Students are advised to practice as much as they can and try to read textbooks, newspapers, magazines and all other literature related stuff that will help in enhancing their vocabulary.
- Previous year question papers: By looking at the SSC CGL previous year questions, Candidates will get to know about the difficulty level of the questions and they can practice accordingly.
- Negative Marking: marks will be deducted for every wrong answer so try to avoid any guess work.
Book recommended for Synonyms/ Antonyms
- Dictionary for Synonym and Antonym
- The New American Webster Handy College Dictionary: Fourth Edition 4th Editionby Philip D. Morehead
- SHSAT Specialized High Schools Admissions Test: SHSAT Test Prep - Revising/Editing Practice Questions Paperback – April 12, 2017 by Argo Brothers