The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam for recruitment to various posts offered in the Government sector. Interested candidates can register for the examination via online mode only. The application form can be filled in two parts - Part 1 (one-time registration) and Part 2 (filling full details in form).
Latest: The dates of SSC CGL 2018 (Tier I) Postponed. The revised dates will be released shortly at ssc.nic.in. Stay Tuned!
Scanning and uploading of applicant’s photo and signature in the form is an important step for successful registration. SSC has mentioned clear guidelines for Photo and Signature size, dimensions and other details. Failing to follow the same will result in cancellation or rejection of the application. Read on to know more!
SSC CGL 2018 Photo Specifications
Candidates applying for the exam must take care of SSC CGL 2018 Photo details, photo size, etc. while attaching their photograph with SSC CGL Application Form. Here is the list of important pointers:
- Photograph of the applicant must be a recent passport size color picture.
- The picture should be in color, against a light-colored, preferably white, background Look straight at the camera with a relaxed face.
- If the picture is taken on a sunny day, have the sun behind you, or place yourself in the shade, so that you are not squinting and there are no harsh shadows.
- If you have to use flash, ensure there's no "red-eye".
- If you wear glasses make sure that there are no reflections and your eyes can be clearly seen.
- Caps, hats and dark glasses are not acceptable. Religious headwear is allowed but it must not cover your face. Dimensions 200 x 230 pixels (preferred).
- Size of file should be between 20kb-50kb.
- Ensure that the size of the scanned image is not more than 50KB. If the size of the file is more than 50KB, then adjust the settings of the scanner such as the DPI resolution, no. of color’s etc., during the process of scanning.
- SSC CGL 2018 Photo Dimensions: 200 x 230 pixels
- SSC CGL 2018 Photo Size: 20kb – 50kb
- SSC CGL 2018 Photograph Background: White
Check SSC CGL Reservation
SSC CGL 2018 Signature Specifications
Along with the photo, candidates are also required to attach scanned images of signature and right-hand index finger impression. The essential specifications are listed below:
- The applicant has to sign on white paper with Black Ink pen.
- The signature must be signed only by the applicant and not by any other person.
- The Signature will be used to put on the attendance sheet and wherever necessary.
- The Applicant’s signature obtained on the call letter and attendance sheet at the time of the examination should match the uploaded signature. In case of mismatch, the candidate may be disqualified.
- SSC CGL 2018 Signature Dimensions: 140 x 60 pixels
- SSC CGL 2018 Signature Size: 10Kb - 20Kb
- Image Format: JPG only
- Signature Background: White
- Signature Style: The Signature should be done with a running hand
Do’s and Don’ts for SSC CGL 2018 Photograph & Signature
- There are a few things that a candidate must keep in mind while appearing for the exam.
- During the examination, applicant should sign in presence of invigilator, across the photograph.
- Students must bring additional copies of the submitted passport size photographs, clearly depicting the image with proper colors.
- The photograph should not have cap/hat or sunglasses.
- Spectacles are allowed only if being regularly used.
- Polaroid photos are not acceptable.
- Upload your signature and your guardian’s signature in the appropriate box provided in the online form in running handwriting.
- Writing full name in capital letters in the given box will NOT be accepted as the signature. Doing so can also lead to the cancellation of application form.
Note: At SSC CGL 2018 Exam Center, the Center Superintendent will collect candidate’s Post Card size (4”x6”) photograph affixed on Performa.
Scanning the Photograph & Signature for SSC CGL
- Set the scanner resolution to a minimum of 200 dpi (dots per inch). Set Color to True Color.
- File Size as specified above.
- Crop the image in the scanner to the edge of the photograph/signature, then use the upload editor to crop the image to the final size (as specified above).
- The image file should be JPG or JPEG format. An example file name is: image01.jpg or image01.jpeg.
- Image dimensions can be checked by listing the folder files or moving the mouse over the file image icon. Candidates using MS Windows/MS Office can easily obtain photo and signature in .jpeg format not exceeding 50KB & 20KB respectively by using MS Paint or MS Office Picture Manager. Scanned photograph and signature in any format can be saved in .jpg format by using 'Save As' option in the File menu and size can be reduced below 50KB (photograph) & 20KB (signature) by using crop and then resize option [Please see point “C‟ above for the pixel size] in the 'Image' menu. Similar options are available in other photo editors also.
- If the file size and format are not as prescribed, an error message will be displayed.
- While filling in the Online Application Form the candidate will be provided with a link to upload their photograph and signature.
Procedure for Uploading the Photograph and Signature
- There will be two separate links for uploading Photograph and Signature.
- Click on the respective link "Upload Photograph / Signature".
- Browse & Select the location where the Scanned Photo/ Signature file has been saved.
- Select the file by clicking on it.
- Click the 'Upload' button
Guidelines to attach photograph in SSC CGL Application Form
During SSC CGL 2018 Registration, candidates tend to make errors while choosing the photograph. They often upload photographs which are not in accordance with the instructions and hence, such images get disqualified. The common mistakes committed by the candidates and correct sample of the photograph are given below:
1. Upload a photograph taken by a professional camera. Avoid using a cell phone to click a picture as the image of the face gets distorted. The background of the photograph should be white. Photographs with a colored background (light/dark) are not accepted.
2. Applicant must look straight into the camera making an eye contact for a clear image. Also, avoid wearing scarfs/muffler. Do not use it to cover your face. The face must cover more than 75% of the total area of the photograph. The photo clicked in improper lighting or flash must not be uploaded in the SSC CGL Application form.
3. The photo with shadow on the face is quite unclear and not accepted by SSC. The face should be clearly visible in the photo. Check that the image uploaded must not be of poor digital resolution (100 x 75).
4. Wearing spectacles in the photo is acceptable but avoid wearing tinted glasses or goggles in the photo. The photo with too much glare or light on the spectacles will not be accepted.
Note: The scanned image not meeting the SSC CGL photo requirements can be changed during SSC CGL Form Correction. The candidates can upload an appropriate photo in the SSC CGL Application form and submit the form again. The correct photo will be updated immediately in the form.