VITEEE is a national level engineering entrance exam for admission to B.Tech programs offered at VIT Campuses located in Vellore, Chennai, Amravati, and Bhopal. The exam is conducted by VIT University through online mode.
Preparing for VIT requires a lot of hard work. One requires getting some good quality of books that are not only full of the required knowledge but is also capable of giving the students the extra confidence that they require. With that candidates must have information about syllabus and exam pattern. Check VITEEE Exam Pattern
Latest: Due to the outbreak of COVID-19 all the events related to the exam has been postponed till further notice. With the extension in registration dates, candidates who had missed the opportunity to apply for the exam can now register by visiting the official website. Click Here for VITEEE 2020 Registration
VIT entrance exam examines candidates on their speed and analytical abilities. Moreover, since there is no negative marking, so the aspirants should try to cover the maximum amount of syllabus without going into the intricacies. Read the article to know more about important topics, preparation tips, best books, etc.
How Prepare for Chemistry
VITEEE 2020 Chemistry Preparation Plan
How Prepare for Chemistry
NCERT is best suited for the preparation of Inorganic Chemistry. Focus particularly on areas like Atomic Structure, Electrochemistry, Biomolecules, Organic Nitrogen Compounds, Alcohols and Ethers. Let us discuss how exactly you should plan out your preparation so as to achieve your cherished goal:
- Proper analysis of the exam: Before commencing your preparation, identify what exactly is asked in the exam, what it focuses on and what exactly is the pattern. VITEEE asks MCQ type questions which are application based and test thinking abilities.
- Emphasize on clearing basics: VIT entrance exam covers the syllabus of State Board of Higher Secondary School along with the CBSE syllabus. Thus, first, cover the entire syllabus of the NCERTs as they help in laying a good foundation. Once you have completed these books, you can then refer to other books.
- Identify the topics which are most important: One cannot dare to be selective in his studies while planning to take an elite exam like VITEEE. However, you can just identify the most important sections so that you can work harder on those areas. Check VITEEE Syllabus
Topic Wise Preparation Tips
- Practice diagrams with proper labelling from chapters like, 'solid-state', 'electrochemistry', 'principles of isolation of elements'. Revise structures of compounds in p-block elements, d-block elements.
- For the organic chemistry section, study the proper way of writing the names of the compounds, drawing correct structures in chapters like Bio-molecules and Chemistry in everyday life.
- Conceptual clarity, application skills and awareness of the prescribed syllabus should be the main focus.
- Practice the most relevant numerical daily to develop speed. Pay special attention to topics like Mole concept, Chemical Equilibrium, and Electrochemistry.
- Take a careful and patient approach for Organic chemistry giving particular attention to topics like Stereochemistry, GOC (General Organic Chemistry) and Functional Group Analysis.
- In Inorganic chemistry, most of the questions which are asked are really conceptual, concerned with structures, processes, and applications. Special attention is a must to the topics like Chemical Bonding and Coordination Chemistry.
VITEEE Chemistry Syllabus
VITEEE Chemistry Syllabus 2020
- It is a compulsory subject that candidates cannot skip.
- 35 questions will also be asked from Chemistry.
- Each correct answer will be awarded 1 mark.
- There is no negative marking.
Syllabus of Chemistry
- Section 1: Atomic Structure
- Section 2: p,d and f – Block Elements
- Section 3: Coordination Chemistry and Solid State Chemistry
- Section 4: Thermodynamics, Chemical Equilibrium and Chemical Kinetics
- Section 5: Electrochemistry
- Section 6: Isomerism in Organic Compounds
- Section 7: Alcohols and Ethers
- Section 8: Carbonyl Compounds
- Section 9: Carboxylic Acids and their derivatives
- Section 10: Organic Nitrogen Compounds and Biomolecules
Weightage of Topics in Chemistry
|Topic||Number of expected questions|
|P,d and Block Elements||4|
|Co-ordination chemistry and Solid-state chemistry||4|
|Thermodynamics, Chemical equilibrium and Chemical Kinetics||4|
|Isomerism in Organic Compounds||2|
|Alcohols and Ether||4|
|Organic Nitrogen Compounds||2|
|Carboxylic Acids and their Derivatives||2|
Section Wise Important Topics
VITEEE Chemistry Section Wise Important Topics
Section Wise Important Topics
From chemistry, 35 questions will be asked in VITEEE. Candidates can find below a list of in-depth information regarding VITEEE Syllabus for Chemistry exam. The standard of question that is asked in VIT does require healthy and sound knowledge in the subject. The concept and the in-depth knowledge should be clear and for that one requires good books. Few are the important points under each topic is discussed below, which can help one in preparing for the VITEEE in a great deal are as follows:
1. Alcohols and Ethers
- Common reducing agents: LiA1H4; NaBH4; hydrogen in the presence of Ni or Pt or Pd; Na and ethanol.
- Favorable conditions for fermentation are?
2. Carbonyl Compounds
- The distinction between Aldehydes and Ketones: Aldehydes shows the following characteristics tests. Ketones do not show these tests – Tollens Test, Fehling’s Test, Schiff’s Test
- Grignard reagent reacts both with acetaldehyde and acetone.
- Oxidation of primary alcohols & Oxidation of secondary alcohols
3. Carboxylic Acid and its Derivatives
Important concepts are-
- Conversion to Acid Chlorides
- Conversion to Esters
- Reduction of Acids to Alcohol
- Halogenation of Aliphatic Acids
- Functional Derivatives - Acid Chlorides
- Functional Derivatives - Acid Anhydrides
- Functional Derivatives - Amides
- Functional Derivatives – Esters
- The sequence of dicarboxylic acids is Oxalic, Malonic, Succinic, Glutaric, Adipic, Pimelic
4. Organic Nitrogen Compounds
- Methods of preparation of Amines: Reduction of nitro compounds, the reaction of halides with ammonia, Hofmann degradation of amides, reduction of nitriles and amides.
- Test for primary Amine (Carbylamines reaction) the treatment of a primary amine with chloroform and alcoholic potash produces carbylamines (isocyanides) which has the most offensive smell. This test is not exhibited by secondary and tertiary amines.
- In the gaseous phase, the order of basicity is R3N >R2NH > RNH2 > NH3
- Test for Secondary Amine is Liebermann reaction
5. Atomic Structure
- Photoelectric Effect Series of Hydrogen Spectrum de Broglie's Equation Quantum Mechanics.
- Rutherford model
- Neils Bohr Model
- Planck's Quantum Theory
- Bohr's Radius Sommerfield Model
- Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle
- Aufbau Principle
- Enzymes, Isozymes and Coenzymes
- Biomolecules and Biological Processes
- Amino Acids
- Nucleic Acids
Best Books for Chemistry
VITEEE 2020 Preparation Books
Best Books for Chemistry
To get you ahead in the race for engineering admissions, it is critical to prepare from the best books. Some common books need to be referred to for most engineering entrance exams, like HC Verma, RS Aggarwal. However, some specific books also come in handy that let you prepare MCQ for the particular exam. given below is a list of such books that will help you in VITEEE preparation.
|Name of Book||Author Name|
|Chemistry VIT Engineering Entrance Exam Book (Chemistry VIT Engineering Entrance Exam Book) Chemistry VIT Engineering Entrance Exam Book||Akila Kannan, Somasundaram. K|
|10 Mock Tests & Solved Papers for VIT Engineering 2017 (2007 - 2016)||Arihant Experts|
|Objective Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics - Chapter-wise MCQ for JEE Main/BITSAT/VITEEE/KCET 2015||Disha Experts|
|Handbook of Chemistry||R P Singh|
|Chemistry Formulae & Definitions||Ramanand Thakur|
|NCERT Chemistry for Class 11 & 12||NCERT|
VITEEE 2019 Exam Pattern
VITEEE Exam is a computer based test (CBT) consists of all objective type questions. There is no negative marking in VITEEE.
Candidates who have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology are eligible for B. Tech. Bio-Medical Engineering and Biotechnology programmes. They are also eligible for B. Tech. Computer Science and Engineering (Spec. in Bioinformatics) but after joining, registering Mathematics as a bridge course is mandatory. Check Detailed VITEEE Exam Pattern
|Subject||Total No. of Questions|
Note: Candidates attempting Parts – Physics, Chemistry and Biology are eligible for Computer Science and Engg (Spec. in Bioinformatics) B. Tech. Bio-Medical Engineering, Biotechnology only whereas candidates attempting Parts – Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics are eligible for all 14 Bachelor of Tech courses.