Chemical Engineering is opted by a large number of candidates after their B.Tech in the concerned/relevant field. As per the analysis, almost 19,000 candidates apply for GATE in the branch of chemical engineering. Now a days GATE score is also considered by several Indian public sector units (PSU’S) are undertaking for the recruitment of graduate engineers in entry-level positions.
The GATE chemical Engineering syllabus covers 70% marks of the question paper and rest 15% and 15% marks are covered by Engineering Mathematics and General Aptitude respectively. GATE 2020 is scheduled to be held on February 1, 2, 8 and 9, 2020. Candidates must follow the preparation tips and guidelines in order to crack the exam with a good score.
Preparation tips for Chemical Engineering
Preparation tips for GATE Chemical Engineering
Candidate is required to follow a proper study strategy, expert guidance and good study material for effective results. Here are some effective preparation tips to crack GATE Chemical Engineering.
- Clear the basic concepts: The clear concepts are the key to crack the GATE exams. Candidate should focus more on the clear concepts rather than going for solving numerical straightaway.
- Make notes: According to most of the GATE toppers making notes is found quite useful. The notes help in sorting out the important concepts and formulae. The concentration and the clarity in study increases. Besides all this the notes are useful for quick and crisp revision before the test as it’s cumbersome and inconvenient to revise the vast syllabus from the books.
- Cover all the topics: Since it’s not easy to predict which topic will cover more questions in the GATE paper, candidates are suggested to cover all the topics in the syllabus.
- Manage time: If a candidate has studied seriously during his /her B.Tech course then a serious preparation of 2 months is sufficient for the preparation of GATE exam, but in case the basic concepts are not clear to the candidate then a devoted and dedicate study of 6 months will be sufficient for cracking the GATE exam. Candidate must give minimum 5-6 hours for the study every day. Timely revision is quite necessary.
- Self study: Candidate has to do the self study in any case.
- Consult the best study material: Candidate can use the text books, Video lectures and other sources to build up the basic concepts.
- Solve the previous year’s question papers and Sample papers: Candidates are suggested to solve previous years question papers / mock test series/ sample papers of GATE in the last two months of preparation. This will give a fair idea to the candidate regarding the question pattern and all important concepts that are asked in the GATE examination. The Sample Papers of GATE Chemical Engineering 2020 can be downloaded for practice purposes from the following links:
Read More About GATE Practice Papers
Chemical Engineering Paper AnalysisGATE Chemical Engineering Paper Analysis
There are three section in the GATE paper. The three and their analysis is given below:
- General Aptitude: The aptitude problems asked in the GATE paper are very easy to solve. These problems are based on Basic English and math skills. Thus, this section does not require much preparation.
- Engineering Mathematics: The Mathematics portion no doubt is vast but the level of questions is relatively easy. Most of the questions are asked from the topics -Matrices, Differential Equations, Linear algebra, Calculus etc. This is a high scoring part in the GATE paper so, the candidates are advised to cover all the topics. Most of the questions asked in this portion are short type and based on direct application of the formulae.
- Chemical Engineering Topics: The most difficult and important part of the paper is chemical engineering. This section of the paper is comparatively tough and thus demands sincere effort. Maximum questions were asked from the following topics :
- Mass transfer – 7 questions
- Fluid Mechanics – 6 questions
- Heat transfer – 3 questions
- Chemical Reaction Engineering – 4 questions
- Process, Dynamics and Control – 3 questions
- Chemical Process Technology – 2 questions
- Mechanical Operations – 1 question
- Plant Economics – 1 question
Important Books Important Books for GATE Chemical Engineering 2020
GATE requires qualitative and smart preparation. The candidate should choose the study material based on shortcut techniques and strategies for effective results. The study material should strictly cover the GATE Syllabus and Concepts should be easily understood.
Given below is the name of the most popular books recommended by the GATE toppers:
|S.no.||Name of the subject||Name of the book||Name of the author|
|1||Engineering Mathematics||Engineering Mathematics|
|2||Chemical Engineering||Chemical Engineering for GATE||Ram Prasad|
|3||Fluid Mechanics||Introduction To Fluid Mechanics (English) 7th Edition (paperback)||Yunus A. Cengel, John M. Cimbala|
|Introduction to Fluid Mechanics||Fox and Mcdonald|
|4||Chemical Engineering||Basic Principles and Calculations in Chemical Engineering||David.M.Himmelblau|
|5||Thermodynamics||A Textbook of Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics||K. V. Narayanan.|
|An Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics||J. M. Smith, H. C. Van Ness, M. M. Abbott|
|6||Chemical Reaction Engineering|
Chemical Reaction Engineering
|Fogler & Gurmen|
|Chemical Reaction Engineering||Octave Levenspiel|
|7||Heat Transfer||Heat Transfer||Jack Philip Holman|
|8||Process Dynamics and Control||Process Systems Analysis and Control||Donald R. Coughanowr & Steven E. LeBlanc|
|9||Mass Transfer||Mass Transport Phenomena||Christie J. Geankoplis|
|Mass Transfer Operations||Robert E. Treybal|
|10||Chemical Process Control||An Introduction To Theory And Practice||Stephanopoulos.G|
| Plant design and Economics||Peters M. S. and Timmerhaus K. D|
|Process dynamics and control||Seborg, D.E., Edgar, T.F. and Mellichamp, D.A|
|11||Heat Transfer||Heat Transfer||Binay.K.Dutta|
|Heat Transfer||Jack Philip Holman|
|12||Mechanical Operation||Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering ||Warren McCabe, Julian Smith, Peter Harriott|
|Mechanical Operation For Chemical Engineering||Narayanan C. M. & Bhattacharyya B. C |
|13||Chemical Technology||Chemical Technology|
Dryden’s Outlines of Chemical Technology by Gopala Rao M. and Marshall S
|14||Transport Phenomena||Transport Phenomena||R. Byron Bird, Warren E. Stewart, Edwin N. Lightfoot|
Check Here GATE Preparation Books
Important Guidelines Important Guidelines to follow during preparation
Following are some of the things that a candidate should highly avoid while preparing for GATE:
- Don’t stress yourself un-necessarily during the preparation time.
- Do not indulge in over-confidence or over-competitive attitude.
- Do not study any extra subjects.
- Study in a proper and scheduled manner.
- Revise the important formulae needed for GATE questions frequently.
- Prepare brief notes of all the covered topics during the study for GATE.