Foreign Students Furious Over AMU's Move to Hike Fees for International Students by 54%; Read Full Story here
Admission to the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) is set to become more expensive for international students as the varsity has increased the fee for all its courses from 6% to 54% for the next academic session.
The move has upset foreign students, as most of them come to study at AMU from war-torn countries like Afghanistan, Syria, Yemen, and Iraq, whose economy is in a state of turmoil.
"And the ongoing pandemic has made things worse for us," said the AMU student, who was planning to attend the PG course after graduation.
At the moment, AMU has at least 800 international students on its rolls. "The hike is unwise and most of us can't afford it," said A Urza, president of the AMU International Student Association.
He added, "During the COVID-19 pandemic, many of us were unable to go back home. And in such a situation, the administration's move to raise the fee is not reasonable. We come here only because the fee structure is reasonable. Varsity ought to reconsider this decision”, he said.
Under the new fee regime, the application fee for new international students has been increased from $70 to $100.
Admission fees have also been raised from 6 to 54% depending on the course.
In the case of B.Tech, the fee has been raised from $2600 to $4000 per year. BA (Hons) has been revised from $925 to $1200, in addition to an additional $500, which will be charged for two consecutive years.
AMU exam controller Mujib Ullah Zuberi said that a fee hike for foreign students had taken place after more than a decade.
"Even then, it's still less than the JNU and Jamia Millia University(JMI) charges. He added that the decision was taken to 'rationalize' the fee structure as NRI students have paid more fees than foreign nationals since 2013.”
"The representation of international students on the fee structure is under consideration and will be examined by the administration," he added.
AMU Admissions 2020: Admission Process for Foreign Nationals
Foreign Nationals looking for admission into AMU can follow the under mentioned steps:
- Register online and provide your correct and functional email address as well as your mobile number, as your username and password etc. will be sent to this email address. Direct Link to Register
- Log in with your username and password. Your Dashboard will be at your disposal to fill out the form.
- Only a single registration is sufficient for a candidate to apply for multiple courses.
- Please note that each candidate will register separately and will get his / her username and password to access his/her filling dashboard as well as to track the form(s).
- If you have lost/forgot your password, please use the Forgot Password link to get it. It will be sent to you by registered mail.
- Please fill in your Profile carefully and review it properly before saving it, as you will not be able to edit/update it afterwards.
- You must have the following ready before filling out the Application form.
- Scanned copy of coloured Photo with white background, Signature, and Thumb Impression (Left Hand Thumb Impression for every candidate) of the Candidate in JPG format ONLY. The file size of each should be between 20KB to 100KB
- Email address & Mobile number.
- Online Banking details/Debit Card/Credit Card.
- Details of the qualifying examination
AMU Admission 2020 for Foreign Nationals: Guide to Admissions 2020-21
AMU Admission 2020 for Foreign Nationals: Guide to Admissions(Supplement FN) 2020-2021
Note: Please do not rename BMP / PNG / TIFF / etc files (not acceptable file extension names such as filename. BMP, filename. PNG, or filename. TIFF). If the file is not in JPG format, convert it to JPG format using appropriate software (e.g. Paint) instead of simply renaming the file extension.