Science students are always open to a pool of various career paths to choose from. The most preferred choice is Engineering for a non-medical student. When it comes to choosing something apart from Engineering, Science students can also choose from a variety of courses like Computer Applications, Fashion Designing, B.Sc, Architecture and Hotel Management. These courses provide different opportunities and students can avail many benefits by pursuing any of these courses.
Let’s further understand the scope of these courses as well as the prominent institutes which provide them:
- Computer Applications: It is a course related to computer science and its related applications. Students wishing to make a career in the IT field can do so by choosing the different available course options. They can choose from a 3-year BCA, 4-year BCA (Hons.), 1-year Diploma in Computer Applications, etc. The job prospects for Computer Applications students range from Programmer, System Analyst, Network Designer, System Manager, etc. SRM University offers BCA and also provides great placement opportunities as well for BCA graduates.
- Fashion Designing: Students who are fashion enthusiasts can opt for a career path in Fashion Designing. They can opt for a 3-year BA (Fashion Designing) or 4-year Bachelor of Fashion Technology course. BA Fashion Designing is about the art of designing and improving clothing, while B.F.Tech. focuses on the art and science of fashion & design. Fashion Designing students are open to job positions of Merchandiser, Textile Designer, Retail Fashion Consultant, Management Trainee, Fashion Expert, etc. NIFT is renowned to offer courses in Fashion and Design.
- B.Sc: B.Sc in offered in various specializations like Software Engineering, Applied Science, Applied Physics, Biology, Computer Applications, Electronics & Communication, Biochemistry, and many more streams. It is a 3-year undergraduate degree course. Those looking to explore themselves in various fields of Science & Technology can opt for a B.Sc course. There are generally two types of B.Sc degrees – B.Sc General and B.Sc Honors. B.Sc General provides foundation knowledge of Science subjects, whereas B.Sc Honors are designed to develop advanced theoretical and practical skills. The career prospects in terms of job opportunities depend on the specialization a student opts for. For instance, students with a degree in B.Sc (Honours) Physics can apply for a job as a financial analyst, lab technician, etc. Whereas students with a degree in B.Sc (Honours) Chemistry can apply for a job in sectors such as medical research, laboratories, utility companies, technical journals, etc. Students pursuing a degree in B.Sc General course can apply for a job in fields such as teaching, banking, and marketing. LPU offers B.Sc in multiple specializations, students can choose it as their preferred institute because of a great campus and placement opportunities.
- Architecture: Architecture is an option for those who love the idea of building something. A career in architecture is attractive and lucrative as well. Students can pursue a 5-year B.Arch course which will help them in learning the subjects of engineering, arts, and technology. There are various disciplines in Architecture like Architecture Design, Building Management, Architectural Drawing, etc. The career opportunities are very high for architects as there is a boom in the construction and designing field. Architects can work in sectors of construction, interior designing, urban planning, etc. A lot of private as well as government organizations hire architects. For pursuing B.Arch, students can opt for NIT, which offers premium placement packages.
- Hotel Management: As the hospitality industry is on the boom, a career in Hotel Management can be a fruitful decision for the students. Although a Science student might think twice before choosing a Hotel Management career, this decision could prove to be a really good one. Those who believe in servicing others can go for a course in Hotel Management. There are various undergraduate courses available in the field of Hotel Management, like Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM), BA (Hons) in Hotel Management, BBA in Hotel Management, B.Sc in Hotel Management and Diploma in Hotel Management.
The job opportunities that students get after completing their degree are working with large hotel chains, tourism industry, hospital administration, etc. A lot of exposure is given to the students while pursuing their degree as well as after the completion of their course. Students can opt VIT Vellore to pursue B.Sc in Catering and Hotel Management.
In a nutshell, there is no dearth of career options for Science students after 12th. They just need to choose a field according to their interests and preferences as every field provides some or other sort of opportunities.