A phase comes in students’ lives when they have to step out of school and move forward to college life. It is one of the most difficult stages, and it often leads to hasty and impulsive decisions which may or may not prove to be right in the future. The most common confusion is about choosing the right university. There is an abundance of universities these days, be it private or government ones.
When it comes to zeroing in on private universities, students think about the facilities, international tie-ups, extra curriculum-activities, placement opportunities, etc. When opting government universities, the students consider economic admission fee, experienced faculty, etc. A lot of private universities has been established and made their name in the market, and similarly, many renowned government universities and institutes are famous for their world-class education.
Let’s further understand the difference between some of the significant private and public universities in terms of facilities, infrastructure, placement packages, international tie-ups, course curriculum, and other such factors.
The following list has details about some prominent private universities:
- LPU: Located in Jalandhar, it is the largest private university in Punjab. Its state-of-the-art infrastructure is one of the biggest and best in the world. It has tie-ups with universities across the globe, like Northern Illinois University, University of Missouri, The University of Lowa and many more. For placements, top companies visit LPU to hire their students at best pay packages. Companies which hire from IITs and NITs also hire from LPU. There is no shortage of extra-curricular activities on the campus. LPU covers every aspect that the students wish for in a university.
- Bennett University: Bennett is located in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh and is known to offer world-class education in all disciplines. The academic partners of Bennett University are Johnson Cornell University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Cornell Law School, etc. The curriculum of Bennett University ensures best practices of the industry. Placements pay packages are also at par with industry standards.
- VIT University: VIT or Vellore Institute of Technology has its main campus in Vellore, Tamil Nadu. The other campuses are in the cities of Chennai, Bhopal and Amaravati. VIT is known to offer excellent higher education, especially in the field of Engineering. It has tie-ups with international universities in the USA, Europe, Australia, Middle-East, Africa, etc. With a regularly updated course curriculum, VIT proffers brilliant placement opportunities as well. Big MNCs visit and hire students from all the campuses of VIT.
- Manipal University: Located in Manipal, Karnataka, Manipal University boasts of a picturesque campus. It has two off-campuses in Mangalore and Bangalore and off-shore campus in Dubai and Malaysia. Universities like Hawassa, Mekelle, Kumamoto, Buraimi, Ariel, Flinders and many more are partners of Manipal. The placements offered by Manipal are competitive, and students get handy packages.
The below-given list has information about renowned government universities:
- IIT: Known as every engineer’s dream, IIT is the most-sought-after institute for Engineering aspirants. There are 23 IITs in the country presently. IITs receive higher grants than other Engineering colleges in India. With students from diverse backgrounds and communities, IIT is the hub for technology-crazy students. The placements for IIT students is top-notch and students also grab offers as high as a crore per year. Although, getting admission to any of the IITs is a tough nut to crack. Also, the fee is too on the higher side for pursuing graduation.
- IIM: Management aspirants aspire to be a part of IIMs. With a total of 20 IIMs in India, they have excellent infrastructure and experienced faculty. Top-class companies visit IIMs to hire their students for managerial roles on dream packages. IIMs are the ideal B-Schools because of their infrastructure, structural designs, world-class lecture theatres and faculty. Admission to IIMs is possible only through a valid score in CAT, which is a rigorous process. IIMs’ fee is also on the higher side.
- NLU: Budding lawyers vow to get admission in the undergraduate or postgraduate courses to any of the 21 NLUs in India across different cities. Students have to take national level CLAT entrance to claim admission in the pioneers of legal education. The infrastructure is state-of-the-art in the NLUs and they have the most distinguished luminaries as its faculty. The placements differ in the various NLUs. The lower-ranked NLUs don’t have the best of placement offers as compared to higher-ranked ones. The admission fee is on the lower side in NLU as compared to private universities.
- Delhi University: Famous for its funky crowd and happening colleges, Delhi University attracts students from all over India as well as abroad. The infrastructure of top DU colleges is incredible, although it’s not the same case with off-campus DU colleges. Placement is top-notch in a few colleges, average in the majority of the colleges. The admission fee is the most attractive in DU colleges as it’s affordable for students from all backgrounds. Faculty of Delhi University is highly experienced.
In a nutshell, students looking for niche facilities, infrastructure, attractive packages, etc. should opt for a private university considering the fact that they will have to shell more money to secure admission. On the other hand, public universities and institutes are comparatively affordable in terms of the admission fee. If students can compromise on a few factors and consider factors like experienced faculty, affordable cost, etc., they can go ahead and pursue their higher education from a government university.