BTech Admission 2021 in India is conducted through national (JEE Mains, JEE Advanced), state (WBJEE, KEAM etc) or university/institute level (IISER Aptitude Test, BITSAT etc) entrance examinations. Deemed universities conduct their respective entrance examinations to shortlist students. Every year, these examinations are conducted in the months of April and May.
Top Engineering Colleges of India: Entrance Exams Schedule
Admission to BTech courses takes place through scores and ranks secured by students in various entrance exams. While some colleges have their own entrance examinations, others accept state or national level examination ranks for shortlisting candidates.
Here’s a list of entrance exams that are accepted by top 50 colleges (as per NIRF Rankings) of India:
- IITs, NITs, and Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs): JEE Mains/ Advanced
- IIEST Shibpur: JEE Mains
- Birla Institute of Technology: BITSAT
- Thapar University, Patiala: JEE Mains
- Amrita School of Engineering: AEEE / BITSAT/ JEE Mains
- Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology: KIITEE
- M. S. Ramaiah Institute Of Technology-Bangalore: KCET
- Manipal Institute Of Technology: MET
- Jamia Millia Islamia (A Central University): JEE Mains, JMI
- Indian Institute Of Science Education & Research, Mohali: IISER Aptitude Test, JEE Advanced
- Pondicherry Engineering College: JEE Advanced, CENTAC
|Entrance Examination||Date of Application||Last Date of Application||Application Fee||Exam Dates|
|JEE Main 2021||March 25, 2021||April 4, 2021||INR 625||To be announced|
|VITEEE 2021||November 30, 2020||March 30, 2021||INR 1150||June 18-26, 2021|
|SRMJEEE 2021||December 12, 2020||March 31, 2021||INR 1100||June 11, 2021|
|VTUEEE||December 14, 2020||April 14, 2021||INR 950||April 20, 2021|
B.Tech Admissions 2021: Admissions without JEE
Tabulated below is a detailed account of the application dates, last dates and additional information regarding admissions to BTech courses in top colleges of India without JEE:
|Name of Colleges||Application Dates||Exams Date|
|International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT), Pune||April 2021||June 2021|
|BITS Pilani/Mesra||April – May 2021||June 2021|
|SRM Institute of Science and Technology||December 12, 2020 – March 2021||April 2021|
|Karunya Institute of Science & Technology||December 2021||June 2021|
|Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad||April 2021||June 2021|
|Vel Tech University||December 14, 2020 (Start Date)||February, 2021|
|Vellore Institute of Technology||November 30, 2020 – March 30, 2021||April 2021|
|ICFAI Foundation For Higher Education||To be Announced||To be Announced|
|Banasthali Vidyapith||To be Announced||To be Announced|
BTech Admission: Eligibility Criteria
Eligibility criteria for admissions into BTech colleges are similar throughout the country. The basic criteria for admission are as follows:
- Passed 12th standard with science stream having Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English as the subjects.
- Secured at least 50% marks in each of the aforementioned subjects.
- Students who come under the category of SC/ST are eligible for 5% relaxation in the aggregate and qualifying marks.
- For subjects like Biomedical or Biotechnology Engineering students need to have Biology as a subject in the 12th Class. Alternatively, some colleges require either Biology or Mathematics as a part of Class 12 studies.
- Students need to take an entrance examination, the scores or ranks of which will determine their admission to a college.
BTech Admission Process: IITs, NITs, State/ Autonomous BTech Colleges
The admission to BTech colleges in India is possible through entrance examinations. National level entrance examinations like JEE Mains and JEE Advanced are applicable for entry into most of the colleges. Below is a detailed discussion of getting admission into BTech courses:
- Appear for Engineering Entrance Examinations
- Engineering aspirants need to qualify JEE Mains or state level entrance examinations.
- For admissions into autonomous colleges, students have to take university entrances like JMI Entrance Exam (Jamia Millia Islamia), MET (Manipal Institute) etc.
- IIT aspirants need to specifically qualify JEE Mains and JEE Advanced. Only first 150,000 to 200,000 students who qualify JEE Mains will be shortlisted for taking JEE Advanced. Without a valid score in JEE Advanced students will not get admission into IITs.
- Participation in JoSAA
Aspirants have to register for JoSAA (Joint Seat Allocation Authority) for admissions into BTech courses in IIT or NIT. Closely after the results of JEE Advanced, IITs and NITs disclose results of BTech courses. Securing ranks within the opening or closing ranks, students can be through IIT and NIT.
- Accept Admission Offer and Make Payments:
Accept offers for admission and makes payments accordingly. For IIT and NIT aspirants, download provisional admission letters from JoSAA website, and pay e-challans.
- Document Verification:
After payment of seat acceptance fee, students have to report to the reporting centre for verifying documents.
Note for students: Top Engineering Colleges apart from IITs and NITs accept JEE Mains ranks and often conduct their own entrance exams.
BTech Admissions through 10+2 Marks: REAP, CENTAC, TNEA
Tabulated below are the important dates for application and counselling:
|Entrance Exams||Tentative Application Start Date||Tentative Application Closing Date||Counselling (Tentative)|
|TNEA||First week of May||First week of June||Last week of June|
|MP B.Tech admissions||Second-Fourth week (July)||Second- Fourth week of July||Last week of July|
|REAP||Third week of May||Third week of June||Last week of June|
|Punjab Technical University||First week of May||Second week of June||Third week of June|
|CENTAC||May 2021||June 2021||July 2021|
REAP 2021 Admission Process
Centre for Electronic Governance (CEG) will conduct counselling for REAP 2021 through online mode.
- Eligibility: Students completing 10+2 exams and JEE Mains can attend REAP counselling. Students from Rajasthan have an advantage of upgrading seat-allotments based on ranks in merit list and choices made initially while applying.
- Admission process: There will be three rounds and a special round for counselling. Students have to register on the official website of REAP and check the merit list when released online.
TNEA Counselling 2021
Anna University conducts Tamil Nadu Engineering Admission (TNEA) based on 10+2 marks. The application and payment of fees are done online through its official website.
- Eligibility Criteria: Candidates have to pass Class 12 with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as their subjects.
- Selection process: Students will receive ranks in the merit list based on their marks in Class 12.
- Admission: Selected candidates will be allotted seats in colleges based on merit, rank and choices filled during application.
CENTAC 2021: Admission Process
Centralized Admission Committee, Puducherry will release the CENTAC application form 2021 in online mode from its official website.
Selection Criteria: Admission for BTech courses in Puducherry will be selected on the basis of Class 12 marks. Students from states other than Puducherry will be selected through JEE Mains scores.
Eligibility: Students should not be more than 21 years of age before July 1, 2021. Candidates need to secure aggregate 45% marks (Mathematics and Physics as compulsory with Biology/Biotechnology/Chemistry/Technical subjects) in Class 12 for general and 40% for reserved category students.
Stated below are the detailed steps of admission through CENTAC 2021:
- Registration and Application
- Students have to register on the official website of CENTAC with personal (name, email address and contact number) and basic details (address, parents name and course).
- Upload scanned copies of mark sheets, passport size photographs and identity proof.
- Pay application fee of Rs. 1000 (General) or Rs. 500 (for reserved category) through net banking, credit or debit card.
- Release of Merit List
- Separate merit list will be available on the official website for Puducherry candidates and candidates from other states.
- Authorities will release a draft then final list.
- CENTAC conducts online counselling through centralised system considering marks, merit list and category and students can choose college and courses accordingly
- Students have to further contact chosen college for remaining admission procedure
MP BTech Admissions 2021
- Candidates must be from Madhya Pradesh and completed 10+2 from Madhya Pradesh secondary board or equivalent.
- Students should have mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as subjects in Class 12 and secured 45% marks (General) and 40% marks (reserved category).
- Students have to register themselves by filling the application form entering personal and basic details.
- Application forms are available tentatively by the second week of July.
- Counselling will be provided separately for students applying with Class 12 qualifying marks and JEE Mains.
- Students will be allotted seats based on priority according to candidates’ merit, ranks, choice of course and colleges
Punjab BTech Admissions 2021
Punjab Technical University conducts counselling and admission process for its affiliated colleges based on 10+2 marks or JEEMains ranks.
Eligibility Criteria: Candidates should complete 10+2 from recognised boards with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
Application: Students have to apply tentatively by June. Register with personal details and academic records.
Counselling: Students will be invited for offline-counselling based on ranks in merit released. Students have to fill forms, pay registration fees, choose courses and colleges based on available seats and merit.
BTech Admission: How to Apply?
To apply for admissions in B Tech Colleges students need to have a valid score of entrance exams. Below is a detailed explanation of the application process:
- After securing ranks in entrance exams, students have to register for centralised admission systems.
- Deemed universities have respective admission procedures through which students get admission. Students have to separately apply for admissions.
- For state-level entrance tests, there are centralised admissions systems as in the case of WBJEE and KEAM. Students have to register for these systems and be a part of their counselling process to separately apply for linked colleges.
- For IIT and NIT aspirants, students securing JEE Advanced scores have to register for JoSAA. Students have to visit the official website of JoSAA and apply online.
How to Choose the Right BTech Colleges in India?
Aspiring to be an engineer is one thing and turning out to be an adept professional takes a lot of effort. It is imperative that choosing the right college plays a pivotal role to augment domain expertise. So here’s to some essential aspects to make the right decision:
Promising Placement Policies
When it comes to engineering colleges, claiming a 100% placement is a marketing gimmick. As per the recent statements by AICTE in 2018, 22% of the engineering colleges in India do not have substantial industrial partnerships. This adversely affects placement opportunities. Hence, even top colleges cannot claim 100% placements.
Prioritise your stream of study
Going by the brand name of a college can make students suffer if it does not provide the right courses. Look for the potentials of the course curriculum and facilities of a college for that stream. Experienced faculty, robust industry exposure, the extensive scope for research and effective internship programs are the things that colleges should ensure.
Check scholarship and financial aids
Engineering is one of the most expensive undergraduate programs in India. In order to meet the economic aspects of this course, scholarship programs are also available. Scholarships or financial aids are available even based on caste groups.
Follow a holistic approach
There is no denying that engineering is the most sought-after course among Indians. Even though the pedagogy of IITs and NITs are inexplicably brilliant, there are many decent colleges that offer better facilities and learning experience. Hence, students can look beyond IIT and NIT to shape their future.