IIT Bombay Announced GATE 2021 Exam Dates, Relaxation in Eligibility Criteria, and Introduces Environment Science & Humanity Subjects
IIT Bombay has announced that GATE 2021 will take place from Feb 5-7 & 12-14, 2021. This year the examination dates have been spread over a longer duration considering the current situation of COVID-19. The exam is expected to take place in two phases – forenoon shift from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and afternoon shift from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- With the release of exam dates, the authorities have also announced about the relaxation in GATE 2021 Eligibility Criteria. Now the candidates who are in the 3rd year of graduation degree will also be eligible to sit for the exam.
- Along with that, 2 new subjects have been added i.e. Environmental Science & Engineering (ES) and Humanities & Social Sciences (XH), increasing the total of GATE 2021 subjects to 27 from 25.
- GATE 2021 Exam Pattern is the same for all the subjects but for XH it is different with 25 marks for Reasoning & Comprehension (B1), 15 marks for General Aptitude, and 60 marks for the subject paper.
Another major announcement for GATE 2021 is that from this year candidtes can sit for a maximum of 2 papers. They will be able to opt for 2 disciplines from a predecided list of combinations. The decision has been taken to boost interdisciplinary studies.
GATE 2021 Important Dates
Candidates can check the tentative dates from the table below. However, the exam dates have been announced whereas the remaining dates of other important events will be released soon
|GATE 2021 Events||Dates|
|Availability of Official Website||July 16, 2020|
|GATE 2021 Registration window||September - October 2020|
|GATE Application Form Correction Window||Last week of October 2020|
|Last Date for Requesting Change of Examination City||3rd week of November 2020|
|Issue of GATE Admit card||1st week of January 2021|
|Exam date (Announced)||February 5-7 & February 12-14, 2021|
|Official Answer key releasing||10 days after the exam|
|Result declaration||2nd week of March 2021|
|Publishing of Scorecard||One week after the declaration of results|
|Start of counseling cum admission process||April 2021|
Know More GATE 2021 Important Dates
Changes Introduced in GATE 2021 Eligibility Criteria
The significant changes that have been implemented in GATE 2021 are mentioned below:
- “Candidates will be eligible to appear for two subjects this year”, read the announcement of the institute.
- The eligibility requirements have also been modified, with third-year students qualifying for GATE.
- The eligibility requirements for GATE 2021 shall be relaxed from a minimum of 10 + 2 + 4 (ongoing) to a minimum of 10 + 2 + 3 (ongoing), allowing even those in the third year of their undergraduate studies to appear for review, thus providing additional incentives for candidates to boost their performance in order to obtain better career opportunities," read the IIT Bombay release.
- Graduates from arts and commerce streams can now apply for GATE.
- Two additional subjects are also being introduced: Environmental science and engineering (ES), Humanities and social sciences (XH) raising the number of subjects from 25 to 27.
Know More GATE 2021 Eligibility Criteria
GATE Exam Pattern of New Subject XH
Two new subjects have been added to GATE 2021. The exam pattern of ES is similar to other papers but the pattern of XH is different from other subjects. If a candidate opts for XH paper then he/ she has to appear for Reasoning & Comprehension (B1) paper of 25 marks, 15 marks for General Aptitude, and 60 marks for the subject paper.
|XH Paper Sections||Code||Marks|
|Reasoning and Comprehension||B1||25|
|Candidates have to select only one from the below subjects|
GATE 2021 Syllabus of New Subjects
The detailed GATE 2021 syllabus will be released soon along with the release of the official brochure. Moreover, the list of a set of combinations for the second paper option available for this year will be based on the availability of infrastructure and dates. Some branches may not get the second paper option.