COH VELLANIKKARA- FOR EXCELLENT EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE
I chose this college for my post graduation because, it is the number one agriculture college in kerala. As it is the Kerala Agricultural University campus, the facilities are uncountable. The admission process is through the entrance examination conducted by the university itself. 85% of the seats are filled by the qualified top rank holders of the university entrance examination. The remaining 15% is filled by the candidates who qualified national level ICAR - JRF examination. Usually the admission for the post graduation and phD occurs during the month of August. I preferred this campus due its facilities and academic as well as research performances. Before my admission I got some information from the website www.kau.in.
Federal bank, different private seed companies etc are conducting campus interviews. A team from cornell university, USA also visited our campus and selected students to go to USA for a course offered by them.
Rooms are good. Each room is for 2 persons with adequate facilities. Bed, table, chair, almirah are provided for both of the students separately. Meal quality is also good. Those who want to stay in the hostel can get admission in the hostel after the admission process in the college. Hostel is inside the campus itself at walk able distance from the college.
College level arts, sports, athletics, cricket match, volleyball, football etc are being conducted every year. I am proud to say that my college is the winner of university level arts festival continuously for 8 times. Active alumni association is also working as part of the campus and actively involving in social services. As it is a university campus, university central library is situated in our campus with full of books-both academic and entertainment. All the classrooms are smart ones.
COURSE CURRICULUM OVERVIEW
Course curriculum for MSc (Agriculture) soil science and agricultural chemistry includes soil physics, soil chemistry, soil biology, soil microbiology, biochemistry etc.Eminent & experienced faculty members are available.I chose this course for my post graduation because, as a graduate in agriculture, I could understand the importance of soil as well as various phenomena that are taking place in soil and also their contributions in feeding the world through crop production.Faculty student ratio is almost 1:1 in every batch.As the program is purely on research basis, for every student separate guides should be there for guiding their research effectively.So at the beginning of the semester itself guides will be allotted for the students.All the major advisors (commonly known as guides) are phD holders.Some teaching assistants are also there with MSc and NET qualified.Teachers are excellent in teaching.Exams are conducted according to the rules and regulations of the university.
Students are suggested to participate in many national and international seminars, workshops, paper presentations, poster presentations etc
Our self introduction, our ambition, career plans etc will be asked. Entrance examination will be conducted for admission. As the seats are limited only the students whose rank comes around 100 will only be getting admission without reservation. For postgraduate entrance examination, I didn't go to any coaching centres. There are students who go to it. Whereas I started it earlier, that is from the 2nd year of graduation itself I started my preparation. After my graduation in june, engaged in fulltime preparation till August, in which exam was conducted.
LOAN/ SCHOLARSHIP PROVISIONS
The fee per semester will be approximately 19000. But there are scholarship opportunities for the students. Students will get egrantz, community based scholarships, and also university is providing - kerala agricultural university scholarship. For the candidates whose admission based on all india quota and qualified ICAR Entrance examination will get around 8000 rupees per month. The students who got admission in the department of agricultural biotechnology will get DBT scholarship. Apart from these, university will provide around 40000/- for every students to meet their research necessities.