Masters in Business Analytics in UK: Course Guide for International Students
In this growing age of overflowing data and information, Masters in Business Analytics in the UK is emerging as an unparalleled program alternative. Currently UK has its 32 out of 72 institutions ranking globally for Business Analytics (QS Rankings, 2019). Its Imperial College Business School ranks #1 in Europe and #2 globally for MSc in Business Analytics and observes an average employment rate of nearly 95%.
- The course has a total duration of 1 year with an average tuition fee of around 25,000 GBP.
- Admissions for MSc in Business Analytics are offered in several intakes of Fall, Spring, and Summer.
- An estimated salary of a fresher graduating from one of the top business analytics Universities in the UK is approximately 62,000 GBP.
With an endless stream of jobs appearing in the related field, more and more students are seeking out master programs in Business Analytics. International Data Corporation 2019 survey reports suggest that the field is expected to observe a growth rate of nearly 12% which clearly reflects the upcoming demand of business analysts in the market.
Why study Masters in Business Analytics in the UK?
Since data is growing everyday at a rapid rate, of less than 10 zettabytes in 2015 to almost an expected 180 zettabytes by 2025, the need of professional business analysts is also rising strikingly. Some of the factors depicting why MSc in Business Analytics is one of the programs of the hour are as compiled below.
- Supply and Demand Gap: As per a recent survey report by McKinsey, the world currently faces a shortage of approximately 1.5 million business analysts which suggests higher average salaries for the deserving candidates.
- Endless Job Profiles and Easy Switch: Since the course applies to almost every field ranging from banking to entertainment, the degree in Business Analytics opens a wide area of options to explore and choose from and does not restrict students to sticking to just one profile.
- Higher Growth and Salary: As per BATimes 2019 survey results, jobs for business analysts are predicted to rise by 20 to 28% for entry-level and senior business analysts in the coming year. With a current employment rate of almost 70% and an average salary of 62,000 GBP, the field is expected to experience an upward slope only.
- Lower Tuition Fee: An average tuition fee for master’s program in the UK is lower in comparison to the US with 17,392 and 38,380 GBP, respectively.
- Two-year Stay Back: The fact that the UK Government has extended the stay-back time in UK for international students after completing their degrees allows sufficient time to find a good job and adds to the pros of studying in the UK.
- Diversity: With around 80 to 90% international applicants making up the majority of the student body, 46% of which were women, indicates an atmosphere of cultural and ethnic diversity and adds points to its favor.
Masters in Business Analytics in UK: Top Universities
While deciding which institute to opt for, it is always advisable to look at various parameters like rankings, fee, level of education, type of faculty, placement opportunities, growth trends, among others. To help ease your decision-making process, here is a list of top-ranking universities in the UK with their corresponding program fee and duration of course.
|QS Rankings 2020||Name of Institute||Total Fee (In GBP)|
|5||Imperial College Business School||29,984|
|8||Alliance Manchester Business School||22,000|
|9||University of Warwick||29,984|
|10||University of Edinburgh Business School||28,500|
|29||University of Bath||20,000|
|51-100||University of Kent||19,800|
|51-100||Southampton Business School||20,728|
|51-100||University of Liverpool Management School||18,803|
For all the business analytics colleges in UK mentioned above the duration of program is one year.
Masters in Business Analytics in UK: Admissions
As part of the application process, candidates have to fulfill certain mandatory specifications while enrolling at the institute of choice. The basic requirements that must be met while enrolling at the top-ranking academic organizations for MSc in Business Analytics are as mentioned below.
Prospective candidates looking to study in the UK must note that the below-mentioned requirements are basic specifications common to all institutes. However, the individual scores and additional requirements might apply and can vary from university to university.
How to Apply?
- Apply online at the official website of various institutes using their respective application portals.
- Using common application form at the UCAS website.
Basic Entry Requirements
- International Baccalaureate with a minimum of 35 points and 17 at a higher level.
- An Honours Degree in engineering, management or related field with a minimum of 75% marks and CGPA of 7.5+ (for Indian applicants) or equivalent.
- Relevant professional qualification can also be considered as a substitute for the basic degree requirement.
English Language Requirements
An international student from a non-native English speaking country is required to submit proof of Eng;lish languae proficiency for pursuing masters in business analytics in UK. For meeting language proficiency specifications, a student can submit any one of the following tests for studying in the UK.
|Name of Test||Minimum Score|
|IELTS||Overall Band Score of 6.5 to 7.0|
|TOEFL iBT||92 to 100|
|PTE Academic||Average score of 66 to 73|
Applicants must note that the above-mentioned scores in the range reflects that it is not constant for various universities and varies as per the institute’s corresponding requirements.
- Transcripts: Academic transcript from a previous institution in English or translated by an appropriate agency.
- GMAT/ GRE or equivalent: Minimum GMAT score of 650 is a good enough score for securing you a position in the top-ranking institute.
- Portfolio: includes work samples regarding previous education or professional experience depicted via diagrams, sketches, drawings, among others.
- Personal statement: A 300 to 500 words document outlining your previous experience, your motive behind opting for the current course, your future plans and the contributions you are hoping to make for the greater good with the help of your degree.
- Resume/ CV: A latest updated detailed resume with references from people who are well versed with your professional and personal skills and potential.
- Letter of support: A reference letter from the past employer reflecting how can you be an asset and what makes you the perfect fit for the program.
Note: As the competition for the program is extremely high, most of the top universities automatically give preference to applicants with striking grades above the minimum requirements set by the institute.
Masters in Business Analytics in UK: Cost of Study
Before applying at an institute in a foreign land far from home, it is always advisable to plan your finances beforehand in order to avoid any unfortunate complications. When applying to a university abroad, a student must take note not only of the tuition fee of the program one is opting for and university charges, but also the area it is in and the other living expenses that one will have to incur while staying in that place.
For instance, while the UK itself is more expensive than nearly 87% countries in the World with a monthly cost of around 2,205 GBP per person, its city of London is the most highly-priced city which is more expensive than almost 95% cities globally. The basic amount required by an international student for studying in the UK can be divided into 2 fragments which are mentioned as follows:
Pre Arrival Cost
As the name suggests, pre-arrival charges include all the expenses that you are probably going to incur before leaving your home to study abroad. Some such expenses are tabulated below.
|Type of Expense||Cost (in GBP)|
|UCAS Application Fee||20|
|UK Student Visa Application Fee||348|
|Health Insurance||150 to 200|
|IELTS Registration Fees||150|
Post Arrival Cost
Expenses like your average tuition fee and the cost of living in the UK inclusive of meals, accommodation, books, and supplies, among others, makes up the post-arrival cost category. The state-wise cost of attendance required to survive an academic year in the United Kingdom is depicted in the chart below which reflects that while London is the most expensive of all the cities, Liverpool is one of the affordable options that a student can opt for.
Masters in Business Analytics in UK with Scholarships
Various universities in the country offer benefits of financial support for international students to study in the UK in the form of awards, sponsorships, and studentships. Some of the university-based scholarships available for international students to study in the UK are tabulated as follows:
|Name of University||Name of Scholarship||Amount//Eligibility|
|Alliance Manchester Business School||University of Manchester India scholarship||7,500 GBP waiver in tuition fee|
|University of Warwick||Idealo Scholarship||80,000 GBP (10 students)|
|University of Warwick||OFID Scholarship Program||Tuition fee + examination fee + health insurance|
|University of Edinburgh||Robertson International scholarship||1,000 GBP|
|University of Bath||GREAT Scholarships||4 scholarships worth 10,000 to 25,000 GBP; applicants from india, China, Turkey enrolled in a full-time master course are eligible|
|University of Bath||Chancellor’s Scholarship||2,000 GBP|
|University of Bath||Dean's Award for Academic Excellence||5,000 GBP (8 scholarships)|
|University of Liverpool Management School||Future leaders Masters Scholarship||Provided to on-campus students for MS programs, Full Fee Waiver|
|University of Liverpool Management School||ULMS India Excellence Scholarship||50% fee waiver to Indian Students enrolled in MS program at the institute|
Masters in Business Analytics in UK: Job Prospects
With an ever-increasing demand for business analysts in the market world, a Degree in Masters in Business Analytics can offer endlessjobs for international students in the UKto explore and be a part of. As per the survey results of BLS 2016 UK, an average annual income for a business analyst is expected to grow nearly 14% between 2014 and 2022.
Imperial College Business School currently observes a graduate employment rate of around 95% where its students receive an average starting salary of approximately 46,530 GBP within 3 months of their graduation. The current gap in demand and supply only adds to the advantage of students and can help them land some of the high paying positions in the country.
In fact, the job posting for various profiles included under business analyst are expected to rise by 2020 which is discussed as follows:
|Type of Profile||Estimated Job Postings by 2020|
|Data-Driven Decision Makers||922,428|
Expected Growth Trend
An expected growth trend reflecting the level of position over the years that can be experienced after taking a job as a business analyst is as tabulated below. The trend is based on the results of a survey by BAtimes.
|Level of Job||Job Profile|
|Entry Level 01||Business Analyst|
|02 (after 3 years)||Domain Business Analyst|
|03 (after 5 years)||Senior Business Analyst|
|04 (after 10 years)||Chief Technology Officer|
A comparison of the salaries of different jobs in the related field of data have been compiled as follows:
International aspirants hoping to enroll at a renowned institute in the UK must note to apply for a student visa. For a full-time course, a candidate must possess a Tier 4 visa for which can be obtained at the nearest embassy or with the help of a consultant.
List of mandatory documents that must be collected before applying for a visa to study in the UK are as follows:
- A valid Passport
- Passport size photograph
- Letter of Place from the institution
- English Language Ability Scorecard
- Proof of Finances or a Written consent of sponsor to the visa application
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number and documents required for getting CAS
- Tuberculosis screening (if needed)
With rising demand, a need of skilled workers for utilizing analytical skills for the profit of businesses is also on it’s peak. It becomes important for the developed countries to meet this demand to ensure the continuous flow of income through these processes. Pursuing Msc in Business Analytics from the UK will not only keep you in the business but will also help you ace with your skill-set.
Ques. Is masters in business analytics in UKworth it?
Ans. The demand for business analysts in the UK is currently on a 20% hike and is expected to rise further with almost 143,926 new job postings by 2020. With a current average salary of 62,000 GBP and an employment rate of over 70% within 6 months of completing the graduation definitely makes it worth the pursuit.
Ques. What jobs can you get with a masters in business analytics in the UK?
Ans. Since Business Analytics is a field that applies to almost every area ranging from sports and entertainment to education and banking, thus, a graduate with MSc in Business Analytics in the UK has a diverse range of options to explore which includes government agency, manufacturing, healthcare, finance, digital, market research, project management, among others.
Ques. Is MSc in business analytics in the UK possible without work experience?
Ans. Yes, it is possible to pursue masters in business analytics in UK without any work experience as it is not a mandatory condition for admission. But, it does increase an applicant’s chances of enrollment and thus is highly recommended.
Ques. Can MSc in Business Analytics in the UK be completed without GRE/GMAT?
Ans. It is possible to pursue the program without GRE/GMAT from the UK if a candidate has an overall impressive profile because the final verdict depends on various parameters like GPA, Statement of Purpose, LOR, Interview performance, etc.
Ques. Are there any universities in the UK for MS Business Analytics that require no GMAT/ GRE ?
Ans. There are several high ranking institutes that offer admissions without GMAT/GRE though they are highly recommended at all times. The universities offering business analytics programs without GMAT/GRE in the UK are namely, Alliance Manchester Business School, University of Edinburgh Business School, University of Bath, et al.