Masters in Education in UK: A Comprehensive Guide
Masters in Education in UK is a 1 year full time degree, with various specializations based on the courses offered by the universities. It consists of a leadership program, curriculum, instruction and counseling. Approximately 10855 global students come to study Masters in Education in UK universities.
- Average cost for studying for a Master of Education in UK is £19000 a year.
- Median income of the M.Ed students in the UK is £124,000 per annum.
- For studying this program in the UK universities, the students can get the scholarship and hence, can reduce the tuition fees by £3000.
Reason for Studying Masters in Education in UK
As per the report of the UK Commission for Employment and Skills, 1 out of 7 students need to complete their M.Ed in Education by the year 2022 to gather enough experience for the entry-level positions.
In order to get recruited to the higher paid designation, the UK Universities offer training to gain knowledge in Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). There are three different ways of gaining knowledge in the same field.
- The M.Ed pursuing students will be trained for a postgraduate teaching course from higher education institutions.
- The students will need to visit a student training school during the course for getting knowledge about student teacher communication.
- The students can start to work as a school teacher during their M.Ed course, before completing QTS. It helps to gain knowledge in practical teaching.
- After completing Masters, the passed out students can earn 29% more than the Bachelor’s students in the UK.
- The UK Universities offer 42 different types of coursework in M.Ed Degree to the students.
Masters in Education offers to develop a deep understanding of your knowledge so that your teaching skills can be enhanced. The coursework helps the students to make them specialise in their respective fields.
Some of the notable designations the students can acquire after their Masters in Education degree are training and development specialist, school and career counsellor, instructional coordinator, and postsecondary education administrator.
- The students can get jobs in college, school, Universities or in any educational institution once they complete their masters in Education.
- Some of the students can get golden opportunities to work as counselors or advisers.
- Apart from this, few of the students will have the scope to work in the research and development department.
- The master’s completed students can ask for higher remuneration for their position compared to the B.Ed passed out students.
- Not only the teaching profession, but the students can also start their career as a nurse or psychotherapist after completing their Masters in Education.
Top Universities offering Masters in Education in UK
As per the QS Ranking of 2020, some of the top ranking universities of the UK offering masters in education are:
|Name of the Universities||QS Ranking||Course Fee in GBP (Annually)||Degree offered||Duration|
|University College London (UCL)||#1||£20110||Master of Arts (MA)||1 year|
|University of Oxford||#4||£23505||Master of Science (M.Sc)||1 year|
|University of Cambridge||#5||£25740||Master of Education (M.Ed); Master of Philosophy (M.Phil)||10 months|
|The University of Edinburgh||#21||£22850||M.Sc||1 Year|
|King’s College London||#22||£17900||M.A||1 Year|
|University of Manchester||#34||£19000||M.Ed||12 Months|
|University of Birmingham||#36||£18450||M.A, M.Ed||1 year|
|University of Nottingham||#43||£20950||M.A||1 Year|
|University of Bristol||#49||£12000||M.Sc||1 year|
|University of Glasgow||#49||£18370||M.Sc and M.Ed||12 Months|
Course Curriculum for Masters in Education in UK
The major courses offered by the top ranking UK universities in Master of Education are:
- University College London (UCL): Curriculum, policy and practice, Communicating knowledge, International perspectives on Education reform, philosophy of education etc.
- University of Oxford: Applied linguistic, child development and education, comparative and international education, Research design and methodology
- University of Cambridge: Leadership for learning, school effectiveness and school improvement, educational evaluation, perspectives on learning and leadership etc.
- The University of Edinburgh: Child and Adolescent Psychology, Comparative education and international development, Philosophy of Education, Early childhood practice.
- The University of Manchester: Deaf Education, Educational Leadership, intercultural communication, international education etc.
- University of Birmingham: Comparative and International perspectives, Inclusion and disability, leadership and social justice.
- University of Nottingham: Community and literacy and education on Autism Spectrum.
- University of Bristol: Policy and international development, leadership and policy, learning, technology and society, teaching and learning, Neuroscience and education, inclusive education.
- University of Glasgow: Education and public policy, education policy in action, equity, social justice and change.
Admission Process for Masters in Education in UK
The admission procedure for both the native and the domestic students is different. In order to take admission into the Masters in Education in UK, the applicants should submit the result of the relevant English proficiency test.
International students should submit the marks of 10+2+4 educational marks before they apply for the full time Masters in Education course.
Documents Required for Masters in Education in UK Admission
Before you take admission to the UK universities, you should submit the following documents to the university authority.
- Completed application form of the respective UK university, in which you are going to take admission.
- Statement of Purpose in order to provide the reason for choosing that particular University.
- Letter of your previous work experience (Not mandate, if you have any)
- Letter of reference (LORs)
- Attach your IELTS or TOEFL score
- If you have relevant certificates of extracurricular activities, you should attach it.
- Submit the copy of your passport.
English Proficiency Requirement for International Students
Read the following guidelines to understand the minimum qualifying scores in the English proficiency tests.
|University||Minimum IELTS Score Required||Minimum TOEFL Score Required|
|University College London (UCL)||6.0||iBT: 80|
|University of Oxford||7.0||100|
|University of Cambridge||7.0||110|
|The University of Edinburgh||7.0 (6.5 in reading and listening, 6.0 in the other sections).||iBT: 100|
|King’s College London||6.5 (Minimum 6.0 in each section)||Paper-based test: 583 Internet-based test: 72|
|The University of Manchester||7.5||iBT: 110|
|University of Birmingham||6.0||iBT: 80 (Listening, reading and writing 19, speaking 21).|
|University of Nottingham||6.0||---|
|University of Bristol||6.5||92|
|University of Glasgow||7.0||100|
Visa Requirements for International Students
In order to apply for a UK temporary study visa, you should provide the standard documents along with the proof of intention to study there.
- You should submit the formal letter of acceptance to reserve the seat for the study course in the UK.
- The important details like course subject, cost and length related to the course should also be attached.
- Provide the required documents of your earlier education (Academic transcripts of grades, and the degree awarding certificates).
- You need to show the result of English language test as proof of your proficiency skill.
- Need to mention the detailed information of your accommodation and travel itinerary.
- You should submit the letter of consent from your guardian or from your parents.
Cost of Study for Masters in Education in UK
Total cost of studying the Masters in Education in the UK is not only dependent upon the program fees and the accommodation cost or survival cost, but also the students need to spend a certain amount of money before flying to the country.
The pre arrival cost is dependent upon cost of English Language test, one way flight fare and on UK student visa fee.
|Types of expenditures||Fees (in GBP)|
|IELTS fee||£162 to £180 (Based on the location)|
|Transcription cost of previous academic certificates||£67.2|
|One way flight fare||£75012.84 (One stop flight)|
|Visa application fee||£1008|
Cost of Living in the UK
The cost of living of the UK is comparatively higher than the other countries. The average weekly budget of a student in the UK is approximately £240.89.
|Type of expenses||Cost in GBP (Monthly)|
|Cost of food||£250|
Financial Support for Masters in Education in UK
The inflation rate of the UK has been increased by 1.8% in the UK. Consequently, the tuition fees and the cost of living of the country has also been increased. In order to bear the huge cost structure of the universities, there are some scholarships for international students in UK, which are provided by the government of the countries or by the University authorities.
|Scholarship||Amount of stipend||Name of source provides scholarship|
|Chevening Scholarship||£18000||Government of the UK|
|Commonwealth Masters Scholarships||£1330 (Per month)||Government of the UK|
|Gates Cambridge Scholarships||£500 to £2000||Cambridge University|
|Clarendon Scholarships||£15009||Oxford University|
|Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship||–||University of Edinburgh|
Loan Application Process for Studying in the UK
As per the above discussion, it is already mentioned that before you apply for the visa application, you should show and submit proof of funds. It helps to identify whether you can bear the cost of study and the other cost of survival in the UK. Only the above 16 age group can apply for a study loan.
You should show and provide a photocopy of ‘Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies’ (CAS), which is issued by the educational institutes of the UK.
Some of the loan providing banks and the financial institutions of India are:
|Name of the banking institution||Amount of loan (in GBP £)||Issuing rate of interest|
|State Bank of India (SBI)||22000- 165000||10.80% to 12.50%|
|HDFC Credila||1100- 40000||13% to 16%|
|Bank of Baroda (BOB)||11000- 88000||8.65% to 11.65%|
|Punjab National Bank||22000- 110000||10.35% to 12.25%|
|Canara Bank||11000- 22000||10.20% to 11.70%|
Scope after Masters in Education in UK
Masters in Education in the UK offers multidimensional opportunities in the career of passed out students. Teaching is not the only scope to the fellows, but also they can work as educational specialists in museums and curriculum sales. The students can show their excellence in developing education policy or can join as a private school consultation. They can also join as a SEO content writer for the business websites.
The passed out students typically earn 124000 GBP annually, where the lowest average and the maximum average of their salaries are 60200 and 205000 GBP respectively.
Some of the suitable jobs in UK for the masters in education passed out students are:
|Job Designation||Pay Scale in GBP (Annually)|
|Academic Advisor||£ 127000|
|Academic Coach||£ 125000|
|Academic manager||£ 140000|
|Academic Specialist||£ 109000|
|Academic staff||£ 96600|
|Instructional designer||£ 35000|
|Business development manager||£ 36685|
|Chief executive officer||£ 89294|
As per the statistical report of Salary Explorer, the experts can get a leap in their payscale by 32% after 2 to 5 years. In addition, if the students can complete their masters, then they can earn 29% more than a bachelor student. Those, who will be engaged with the teaching profession, can get an opportunity to get an increment of 9% every 14 months.
Completing masters in Education is worthy to the students since it leads to earn higher remuneration than the B.Ed students. The masters passing out students can start their career path either as an educational consultant, or as a child care director. They can also work as a media and technology specialist. A numerous number of opportunities can be inevitably opened up to the passed out students.
Ques. What is the scope of doing Masters in Education in the UK?
Ans. There is a huge scope of doing Masters in Education from the UK since the passed out fellows can be recruited in varieties of occupations. The return from the occupation is higher than the total spending.
Ques. How long do the students need to complete their Masters in Education in UK?
Ans. It approximately takes 1 year to get certified. The masters pursuing students can also apply for internships during their coursework.
Ques. What are the entrance exams for international students to take admission in the Master of Education in UK?
Ans. The international students need to submit the score of English proficiency tests like IELTS or TOEFL before getting into the coursework in the UK universities.
Ques. Do the students get scholarships to bear the huge course fees and for survival in the UK?
Ans. The meritorious students can ask for scholarship programs. There are both the government and University sponsored scholarships for the eligible students.