Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) is a public university located in Pondicherry, India. The University has been marked as an “Institute of National Importance” which imparts undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate (PG) medical training. It is also a residential working JIPMER Hospital which provides medical care facility to a large number of patients. JIPMER offers M.B.B.S., B.Sc., M.Sc., M.D. / M.S degree courses in 37 different disciplines along with selected super-specialty, fellowship, PG Diploma, and certificate programs. JIPMER admissions are based on the JIPMER Entrance Exam, conducted online across various centers in India. Full-time Ph.D. Programs are also available in eight disciplines as on date.
Latest! The results for JIPMER 2019 has been announced on June 7, 2019. Candidates can check rank cards, counseling schedules and cut off. Check here
Type of University
Medical Council of India.
Reference books: 3000
Old books: 6000
Puducherry, Pondicherry (India)
The below-mentioned table shows the academic programs offered by the University under various disciplines:
5 ½ years including 1-year Internship
B.Sc Allied Medical Sciences
M.Sc Allied Medical Sciences
Master of Public Health
2 years + 1-year compulsory internship
Doctor of Philosophy
Post Basic Diploma in Nursing
Emergency Medical Technician
Check JIPMER Courses & Fee
Admission to various academic courses is done on the basis of JIPMER Entrance Exam. Students are requested to go through the detailed information mentioned below:
JIPMER provides 4 years 6 Months full-time MBBS course. Application form for MBBS program can be submitted via an official JIPMER portal. Final selection of candidates is done on the basis of the JIPMER entrance exam. Eligibility: Candidates must have passed 10+2 Senior Secondary Examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology.
- JIPMER Admissions to MD/MS program is done twice a year viz. January and July sessions. Call for applications are announced in the month of October and April every year. Online registration of applications can be done through JIPMER login ID from the official website.
- In the case of M.Sc programs, applications are invited once a year and JIPMER PG is conducted in the month of July. The academic session for the course is commenced during the first week of August.
Eligibility: Candidate must possess MBBS/an equivalent degree recognized by the Medical Council of India. S/he must have scored a minimum of 55% marks in the qualifying examination.
Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research offers a handful of programs in B.Sc with 75 seats in B.Sc Nursing, 10 seats in Bachelor of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology, B.Sc. Allied Sciences with 58 seats. Eligibility: Candidate must have passed HSE/ISCE with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Botany and Zoology with English with a minimum of 50% marks.
JIPMER Admissions to the doctoral program (Ph.D.) which is offered in 8 disciplines, is done annually during the month of July. Call for applications are announced in the month of May every year and interested students can fill the prescribed JIPMER application form through the official institute website. The entrance exam is usually held in the month of June and the academic session begins in July every year.
JIPMER Entrance Exam
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research conducts online examination and in two shifts on the same day.
- The application fee for JIPMER is INR 1500 for General and OBC candidates whereas it is INR 1200 for SC and ST category students.
- The duration of the exam is 2½ hours (Two Hours and Thirty Minutes).
- The Examination shall be conducted in English medium only.
- The question paper consists of 200 multiple-choice questions.
- There was no negative marking in this exam and one mark was given for each correct response
- Selection of the candidates will be done on the basis of merit, the category of students and the availability of seats.
- The selected candidate must go through the counseling process and verify their credentials as well as undergo other formalities.
NOTE: For appearing in any of the JIPMER entrance exam, interested candidates can register online and submit the required entrance exam fee through Net Banking/ Credit Card/ Debit Card.
JIPMER Entrance Exam results are usually declared within several days of the online test and merit list is published on the official institute website (jipmer.edu.in). Merit list is drawn based on a minimum required percentile (category wise) as directed by the institute.
JIPMER results include the marks/ percentile scored by the candidate and the corresponding rank obtained. A downloadable rank letter will be hoisted on website 3 days after the publication of merit list. Candidate can check their scorecard and download the rank letter by entering the provided application sequence number/ User ID along with the password.
Those who clear the qualifying cut off marks and placed on the JIPMER Merit list should attend the further counseling process as per the announcement made on the JIPMER website.
Also, Check JIPMER Results
- JIPMER was ranked sixth among medical colleges in India in 2017 by Outlook India
- It has been ranked at 4th by India Today in 2013.
- Outlook In dia has ranked it 4th among Top Medical Colleges in India in 2012.
The campus of Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research is stretched out over an area of 195 acres at beautiful hillock basically known as Gorimedu. The campus comprises of medical college, hostels, faculty, a branch of nationalized bank, two ATM’S, students, A Post office, playgrounds, sporting field& old & new hospital blocks. Here the hospital block is crowded while the residential section is quiet & idyllic.
The JIPMER organizes various events throughout the academic year. Some of them are academic and some are cultural, sports and extracurricular. Spandan: It is the annual festival of JIPMER. It is organized for seven days in the month of August or September. It includes cultural events, sports events, literary events, and entertainment shows. It witnesses thousands of students from all across the country participating in various events.