Updated On - March 8th 2018
Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) marked as an “Institute of National Importance” which imparts undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate (PG) medical training is a public university located in Pondicherry (India). It is also a residential working JIPMER Hospital which provides medical care facility to a large number of patients.
JIPMER offers M.B.B.S., B.Sc., M.Sc., M.D. / M.S degree courses in 37 different disciplines along with selected super speciality, fellowship, PG Diploma and certificate programs. Admission to all the Courses offered by the University is done through the JIPMER Entrance Exam, conducted online across various centers in India. Full-time Ph.D. Programs are available in eight disciplines as on date.
Check JIPMER Admissions 2018: MBBS, MD/MS, Exam Date, Application Form
JIPMER Facts and Figures:
Type of University
Medical Council of India.
Reference books: 3000
Old books: 6000
Puducherry, Pondicherry (India)
The table below explains the full-time courses provided by the university:
Types of Courses
Number of Courses
Also, visit JIPMER Fee Structure.
JIPMER MBBS 2018:
JIPMER provides 4 years 6 Months full-time MBBS course. The total number of seats in JIPMER is 200 which is distributed as 150 seats for JIPMER, Pondicherry and 50 seats for JIPMER, Karaikal. JIPMER Application form for MBBS program can be submitted via official JIPMER portal. Final selection of candidates is done on the basis of JIPMER entrance exam.
Last date to submit application forms for JIPMER MBBS admission 2018 is April 13, 2018.
JIPMER MD/MS 2018 Admissions:
- JIPMER Admissions to MD/MS program is done twice a year viz. January and July sessions. Call for applications are announced in the month of October and April every year. Online registration of applications can be done through JIPMER login ID from the official website.
- In case of M.Sc programs, applications are invited once a year and JIPMER PG is conducted in the month of July. Academic session for the course is commenced during the first week of August.
JIPMER PhD Admissions:
JIPMER Admissions to the doctoral program (Ph.D.) which is offered in 8 disciplines, is done annually during the month of July. Call for applications are announced in the month of May every year and interested students can fill the prescribed JIPMER application form through the official institute website. The entrance exam is usually held in the month of June and the academic session begins from July every year.
JIPMER Entrance Exam 2017:
- JIPMER conducts online examination and in two shifts on the same day.
- The duration of the exam is 2½ hours (Two Hours and Thirty Minutes).
- The Examination shall be conducted in English medium only.
- The question paper consists of 200 multiple choice questions.
- There was no negative marking in this exam and one mark was given for each correct response
Note: For appearing in any of the JIPMER entrance exams, interested candidates can register online and submit the required entrance exam fee through Net Banking/ Credit Card/ Debit Card.
JIPMER 2017 Results:
JIPMER Entrance Exam results are usually declared within several days of the online test and merit list is published on the official institute website (jipmer.edu.in). Merit list is drawn based on minimum required percentile (category wise) as directed by the institute.
JIPMER results include the marks/ percentile scored by the candidate and the corresponding rank obtained. A downloadable rank letter will be hoisted on website 3 days after the publication of merit list. Candidate can check their scorecard and download the rank letter by entering the provided application sequence number/ User ID along with the password.
Those who clear the qualifying cut off marks and placed on the JIPMER Merit list should attend the further counselling process as per the announcement made on the JIPMER website.
The campus of JIPMER is stretched out over an area of 195 acres at beautiful hillock basically known as Gorimedu. The campus comprises of medical college, hostels, faculty, a branch of nationalized bank, two ATM’S, students, A Post office, playgrounds, sporting field& old & new hospital blocks. Here the hospital block is crowded while the residential section is quiet & idyllic.
The JIPMER organizes various events throughout the academic year. Some of them are academic and some are cultural, sports and extracurricular. Spandan: It is the annual festival of JIPMER. It is organized for seven days in the month of August or September. It includes cultural events, sports events, literary events and entertainment shows. It witnesses thousands of students from all across the country participating in various events.
- JIPMER was ranked sixth among medical colleges in India in 2017 by Outlook India
- It has been ranked at 4th by India Today in 2013.
- Outlook In dia has ranked it 4th among Top Medical Colleges in India in 2012.