Gauhati University or also known as GU is the oldest university in North-East India. It was established in the year 1948. It is located in Jalukbari, Gauhati, it was moved to this campus in the year 1955-56. The University is accredited grade ‘A’ by National Assessment and Accreditation Council.
Gauhati University Quick Updates
March 19: Examinations Postponed: Check Here
Gauhati University has 42 post-graduate departments, IDOL (Institue of Distance and Open Learning), a constituent college for Engineering and law. More than 350 colleges are affiliated to GU. The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) ranked Gauhati University 65 in India and 42nd in Universities List.
Gauhati University Overview
|Accreditation||Grade A by National Assessment and Accreditation Council|
|Affiliated Colleges||More than 350 affiliated colleges.|
|Courses||PG, Distance Education|
|Universities Department||42 Post-Graduate Departments|
Gauhati University Courses Offered
Gauhati Univeristy offers only PG courses in the campus. However, student willing to take up under-graduates program can easily go to any affiliated colleges of the Gauhati University and can avail the admission. Following courses are offered in Gauhati University.
|Master Of Arts||Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant course with 40% aggregate score.|
|Master Of Science|
|Master Of Commerce|
|M.Tech||Bachelor’s in technology, science or mathematics with 55% aggregate marks.|
|L.L.M||Bachelor’s any field or a L.L.B graduate with minimum of 40% aggregate marks.|
Gauhati University Fees
Gauhati University fees for different courses offered are listed below. However, remember that Gauhati University fees may vary from its affiliated colleges fees.
Read about Gauhati University Courses & Fee
GU Admission Procedure
Admission in Gauhati university is done through different entrance test. Students taking admission in any of the affiliated colleges are also obliged to give the entrance exam for admissions. No student shall be exempted from giving entrance exam.
GU Entrance Exam Application Form
- Application form are uploaded online. Admission procedure is done entirely online. From filling of application form to payment for application as well as entrance examinations are conducted online.
- Online payment of admission fee will only be accepted. No other mode of payment is accepted by the University.
Gauhati University Selection Criteria
- Admission conducted is done on the merit basis prepared by the admission department of the university.
- 60% weight-age will be on the candidates undergraduate marks or on the basis of the marks scored in the entrance exam.
- The selection of students for admission into interdisciplinary programs of study will be on the basis of entrance test only. This also applies to other University students applying to any Course.
- Entrance Test:
- Entrance test will be of 100 marks.
- Entrance Exam Duration: 2 hours.
- Proportion of descriptive questions and MCQs may vary with different subjects.
Admission of International Students
- For International Students Gauhati University has separate guidelines.
- The Admission criteria for international student will be that the candidates academic qualification should be from Universities, or board of higher education, recognized as equivalent by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- lBy International Student what the university means is someone who has a valid passport at the time of application filling.
- lInternational Students can apply for various undergraduate and postgraduate programs under the following categories:
- Self Financing Student (Full Time).
- Cultural Exchange Fellowship Program (Government of India).
- Visiting Student Under Memorandum of Understanding.
|Graduate Program (B.Tech)||International Student with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics in class XII are eligible.|
|Post Graduate||TOEFL\IELTS Scores to show proficiency of a candidate in English Language. Financial Support Proof.|
|Ph.D\M.Phil||l The admission process into the M.Phil/Ph.D programme of Gauhati University is a two-step process: common entrance test (known as GU-RET) and counseling process. An International Applicant is not required to appear in the GU-RET. l An International Applicant with not less than 55% of marks or equivalent grade in the concerned subject can apply for admission into the PhD program of Gauhati University in a subject|
GU Reservation Criteria
- Seat reservation for schedule cast is 7%.
- For schedule tribe living in plain areas; seat reservation is 10%.
- Scheduled tribe living in hilly areas gets a seat reservation of 5%.
- OBC and MOBC seat reservation is 15%.
- For differently abled 3% seats are reserved.
- For the university permanent employee 1 seat in every faculty with 40 seats and 2 seats in every faculty with more than 40 seats are reserved.
- Fringe Village: 10%
- seats are reserved for GU Former Employees.
- Moran Community of Assam: 2 seats.
- Extra Curricular: 1 seat reserved in each department.
- NCC & NSS: 5 seats.