Nalanda Open University (NOU) is the only Unversity imparting distance education system in Bihar. It was established in 1987 under the Bihar Government’s ordinance. NOU offers 24 Undergraduate, 27 Postgraduate, 44 certificate, 5 Postgraduate Diploma, and 8 Intermediate courses to students. Nalanda Open University is ranked amongst the top ten Colleges of Bihar offering B.Ed.
Nalanda Open University (NOU): Highlights
Nalanda Open University at a glance:
|Application fee||400 INR|
|Selection criteria||Merit-based for all courses except B.Ed|
|Entrance test accepted||BED-CET|
|Degrees||UG, PG, Doctoral|
|Programs||Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Diploma, Certificate, B.Ed, Research.|
Upcoming: Nalanda Open Unversity is introducing a CBCS pattern in its education system from 2020. Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) will allow students to choose from core, elective, minor, or soft skill courses.
Nalanda Open University (NOU): Courses and Fee
Nalanda Open University offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Certificate, Postgraduate diploma, and intermediate courses to students. Eligibility and fee structure varies from course-to-course. Details of major NOU courses are as follows:
|B.A||Intermediate in any stream||3 years||2,400|
|B.Sc||Intermediate in Science||3 years||2,400|
|BLIS (Bachelor of Library and Information sciences)||Bachelor Degree||1 year||5,500|
|B.Com||Intermediate in any stream||3 years||2,400|
|BCA||Intermediate with Maths/ Intermediate with Computer.||3 years||6,600|
|BBA||Intermediate in any stream||3 years||6,600|
|B.Ed||Bachelor’s degree with 45% and two years of teaching experience||2 years||25,000|
|Certificate courses||Intermediate or matriculation as per course requirement||6/9 months||1,650|
|P.G Diploma||Bachelor’s Degree||1 year||5,500|
|MCA||BCA/ B.Sc.(Computer Science) or Bachelor's Degree with Mathematics||3 years||12,000|
|MJMC ||Bachelor’s degree / PGDJMC||2 years||5,000|
|Ph.D||Postgraduate in relevant subject||-||-|
NOTE: 25% fee concession in all courses for female applicants.
READ MORE: MJMC
READ MORE: Nalanda Open University Courses and Fee
Nalanda Open University: Admission
Admission to Nalanda Open University is both Online and Offline. Applicants may pay INR 400 and buy prospectus and admission form from the sales counter of the university. Or, they may apply online through the university website.
- Steps involved while applying Offline are:
- Acquire prospectus and application form from the sales counter
- Pay INR 400 via demand draft in favor of NOU, Patna.
- Further, fill the application form, attach all the necessary documents, and pay the course fee.
- Steps involved while applying offline are:
- Visit the official website www.nalandaopenuniversity.com and click on the link Registration cum Admission link.
- Select part 1 of the application form, pay the application fee of INR 450.
- Fill the application form, attach all the necessary documents along with the application fee receipt.
- Take a print out of the form and submit it to the university with other required documents (if any).
Documents required at the time of admission are:
- Attested copy of mark sheet, matriculation for proof of age, caste certificate.
- Original mark sheets of the qualifying examination for verification.
- Envelops, photographs, and receipts or demand drafts of the fees paid.
Admission to B.Ed is through CET-BED.
Nalanda Open University (NOU): Post-admission
The university provides the following items and documents to the students once the admission is given to the applicant:
- Money Receipt
- Registration slip
- Identity card
- Admit card for examination
- Study material
- Assignment answer books and envelopes
- Assignment questions
READ MORE: Nalanda Open University Admissions
Nalanda Open University (NOU): Faculty
Present faculty members of NOU are:
SRI PHAGU CHAUHAN
- Designation: Chancellor
- He is also the Honorable Governor of Bihar
Prof. Gulab Chand Ram Jaiswal
- Designation: Vice-Chancellor
Prof. (Dr.) Kriteshwar Prasad
- Designation: Pro Vice-Chancellor
Wing Commander Surendra Kumar Sharma
READ MORE: Nalanda Open University Faculty
Nalanda Open University (NOU): Schools
NOU has 10 operational Schools, namely:
- School of Computer Education and Information Technology
- School of Economics, Commerce, and Management
- School of Health and Environmental Science
- School of Indian and Foreign Languages
- School of Indology
- School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- School of Library and Information Science
- School of Pure and Agricultural Sciences
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Teacher’s Education
Nalanda Open University: Infrastructure
The university is working from its camp office at Biscomaun Bhawan, Patna. The office is well equipped and has a 60,000 sq. ft. of area as its examination center for 1000 students. This also covers a Library, Computer Lab. Apart from this area, the university also has its administrative office and other infrastructures.
Nalanda Open University: FAQ
Ques.Why Nalanda Open University?
Ans. NOU has very few fees which makes it affordable for the poor students. And, study material of the university is also easy and precise.
Ques. Are there any Scholarships for students at Nalanda Open University?
Ans. No, the university does not provide any scholarships to students because the fee is very less and affordable. But moving towards women empowerment, NOU gives a 25% fee concession for female students in all courses.
Ques. Any accommodation near NOU?
Ans. The university does not provide any accommodation to students, but there are PG for boys and girls ranging between 5,000-7,000 INR with food and WIFI. Accommodations are single sharing and double sharing.
Ques. I have a degree in distance learning from Nalanda Open University, am I eligible for UPSC?
Ans. Yes, as the UPSC guideline mentions that students must have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized board/University, you are eligible to appear in the UPSC exam. Nalanda Open University is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC), Distance Education Council (DEC), and Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India.