Patna University (PU) is one of the prestigious universities in India located in Patna, Bihar. It is the first university in Bihar, was established in the year 1917 during the British Empire and now fully approved by UGC. It is the 7th oldest university in the Indian subcontinent. The university offers a variety of UG, PG and Doctoral Courses. Candidates can also opt for distance education for various courses. The University has a sprawling campus spread in the area of 180 acres, stretching over a distance of 10 km, extending from the Patna Women’s College to the Patna Law College and is situated on the bank of the river Ganga. There are thirteen colleges under the jurisdiction of Patna University, out of which 3 are girls and 8 are co-educational Institutions. Patna University Admission is done through entrance exams namely - BLET, MEET, and MLET.
Patna University Highlights
|Established | Type||1917 | State|
|Recognized by||BCI, AICTE, UGC, and DEB|
Type of Programs
UG, PG, Doctorate, and Diploma
|Admission criteria||Merit and Entrance-based|
BLET, MEET, and MLET
Both Online and Offline
Patna University Courses
The university offers a total of 135 courses under UG, PG, and Doctoral degrees in the streams of Arts, Science, Commerce, Management, etc. The table below gives a brief description of the major courses offered at the University:
|Bachelor of Education (B.Ed)||Duration: 2 years
Eligibility: The candidate with at least 50% marks either in the Bachelor's Degree and/ or in the Master's Degree in Science / Social Science / Humanity / Commerce, Bachelor's in Engineering or Technology with a specialization in Science and Mathematics.
|Bachelor of Arts (BA)||Duration: 3 years
Eligibility: 50% aggregate marks in 10+2 from any stream
Subjects: Social Work, Political Science, English, Economics, History, Geography, Mathematics, Sociology, Computer Applications, Psychology, Statistics, Hindi, Home Science, Sanskrit, Urdu, Philosophy, Music, Persian, Maithili, Ancient History, and Archaeology.
|MBA||Duration: 2 years
Eligibility: 50% aggregate marks in Graduation
Selection Criteria: CAT/ MAT/ ATMA/ JMET + GD + PI
Specializations: Human Resource, Finance, and Marketing.
|MA||Duration: 2 years
Eligibility: 50% aggregate marks in Graduation
Subjects: Journalism & Mass Communication, English, Psychology, Economics, Women's Studies, History, Criminology, Rural Studies, Geography, Music, Education, Hindi, Political Science, Ancient Indian History and Archaeology, Philosophy, Maithili, Personnel Management and Industrial Relations, Home Science, Sociology, Urdu, Arabic, Bengali, Persian, and Sanskrit.
|Bachelor of Law (LLB)||Duration: 3 years
Eligibility: Candidate must have done Graduation or Equivalent from a recognized board with at least 45%.
|MCA||Duration: 3 years
Eligibility: Candidate must have Graduation in BCA (with 45% marks Or B.Sc. comp. Sc. With min 45% marks or Any Graduate Hons. With maths and a one-year certificate course in computer.) from any recognized university or equivalent.
|B.Com (Hons.)||Duration: 3 years
Eligibility: 50% aggregate marks in 10+2
|B.Sc (Hons.)||Duration: 3 years
Eligibility: 50% marks in 10+2
Subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Geology, Mathematics, Statistics, Environmental Science, and Industrial Microbiology
Click here Patna University Fees Structure
Patna University Admission
Patna University Admission is done through online as well as offline mode. Candidates who wish to apply can submit the application form on the official website of university similarly they can download the form from the official portal.
To be eligible for admission to undergraduate courses, applicants have to pass class 12 with at least 50% marks from a reputed board. For admission to postgraduate programs, students should have a graduation degree in relevant discipline with required marks from a well-recognized university or institute.
Admission to most of the courses is accepted through various entrance exams called BLET, MEET, and MLET. Shortlisted candidates on the basis of their marks are considered for admission. However, there are various specializations too for which the university accepts direct admission on the basis of marks obtained in qualifying exams.
Patna University Placements
Patna University is all set to launch its Placement Drive for 2021 from the 1st week of February. Due to the epidemic the Patna University Placement Drive 2021 mostly will be held through an online mode. The Patna University Placement Cell has stated that the reputed companies like Apptunix: Mobile App Development Company, eClerx and many more will be attending the Patna University Placement 2021 this year.
There is a distinguished Training & Placement Cell at the campus of Patna University which keeps a monotonous note upon the students for the all-round growth from their first academic year by organizing many seminars and workshops related to the skill development which would help them during the Patna University Placement sessions. The cell also arranges many internship programs for the students to assure their maximum skill development at the optimum level.
Patna University Scholarships
Various organizations provide financial help to the students studying in the university. It includes the National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation which provides 2500 scholarships to students with disabilities. Under this scheme, students in UG, PG, or professional degrees are given INR 2500 for 10 months for Professional Graduate Degree and INR 3000 for Professional PG Degree. Books/ Stationery allowance is also paid to students. However, they will be required to produce relevant documents while applying for the scholarship.
Patna University FAQ
Ques. Are there any Diploma courses at the university?
Ans. Yes, there are many Post Graduate Diploma, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma courses at the University. These courses are of 1-year duration offering various specializations with merit-based admission criteria. Specializations offered in these courses are as follows:
- Post Graduate Diploma: Clinical Psychology, Computer Application, Financial Management, Human Resource Development, Industrial Safety Management, Public Administration, Women’s & Child Welfare, Yogic Science, and Women’s Studies.
- Diploma: Risk & Insurance Management, Applied Yoga, Human Resource Management, Public Relations, Stress Management, and Textile/ Ornamentation & Home Fashion.
- Advance Diploma: Risk & Insurance Management, Applied Yoga, Human Resource Management, Public Relations, Stress Management, and Textile/ Ornamentation & Home Fashion.
- Certificate courses: Language Proficiency, Applied Yoga, Human Resource Management, Public Relations, Stress Management, Textile/ Ornamentation & Home Fashion, Block Printing, Madhubani Printing, Tikuli Art & Jute Art, Craft & Design, IT Skill Development in Graphics, Web Designing, and Office Management.
Ques. How is Patna University?
Ans. Patna University has achieved awards such as Lifetime Achievement Award to Prof. Lalji Prasad (Department of Mathematics) and Padmshree award to Dr. Kalim Ajiz, Dr. Indu Bhushan Sinha, Dr. Vijay Prakash, Dr. Shyam Narayan Arya, and many more. The university has also won:
Hosted East Zone Inter-University Cricket Tournament and the team qualified and participated in the Inter-Zonal Tournament and also selected for participating in the Vizzy Trophy Tournament at Amritsar.
The sports team comprising around 60 boys and girls participated in “Eklavya”, the Inter-University Sports meet held at Ara and brought home twenty-three medals.
Inter-University Table Tennis meet at L. N. M. University, Darbhanga.
The powerlifting team from PU won the Bronze medal at the All India Powerlifting Competition held at Amritsar, 2012.
Read More: Patna University Review
Ques. Is studying at Patna University better than Magadh University?
Ans. Yes, Patna University is better than Magadh University. Given below are some of the points which will help in comparing both Universities:
- Patna University has better and effective management than Magadh University as the exams, results and everything else is conducted and issued on time.
- The number of colleges is less at Patna University than at Magadh University. So, it is manageable for the university to control the administration of each and every college.
- Exams are conducted in a very strict manner in Patna University. Therefore, students need to study hard to cover their paper. Sadly, Magadh University conducts its exam to fulfill the quorum.
- There aren't any regular classes conducted at Magadh University. Students of Magadh University had been suffering a lot due to incompetency of university official.
- There are few colleges in Magadh University that are trying to impart education to their students like AN College, Commerce College, Gaya College, etc. But every college in Patna University has its own glorious history like Science College, Patna College, and Patna Women's College.
Read More: Magadh University
Ques. What courses are offered in PU DDE?
Ans. Following are the courses in Patna University Distance Education:
Ques. How is the salary package at the university?
Ans. Graduates from the university are placed in top-notch companies with a minimum salary package of INR 1.75 LPA, an average package of INR 2.15 LPA, and a maximum package of INR 5 LPA.
Ques. What is the last date to submit the application form for 2020 admissions?
Ans. Patna University has extended the last date to submit the application form for admission. As per the new schedule, the last date to apply for 2020 admissions is August 14, 2020.
Ques. What is the admission procedure for the B.Ed program at Patna University?
Ans. Applicants who wish to apply for the B.Ed program at Patna University need to appear for the BEET exam conducted by the university itself. The exam is conducted once a year in the month of July.
Read More: BEET exam 2020
Ques. What are the eligibility criteria for the BEET exam?
Ans. The eligibility criteria for the BEET exam is as follows:
- Candidates should have completed their B.Sc or M.Sc with a percentage of 50%.
- The graduation should have been completed in Science/ Commerce/ Humanities or Social Science.
- In the case of B E / B.Tech, the minimum aggregate percentage required is 55%.
- Patna University offers an exemption of 5% for candidates belonging to the reserved category.
Ques. What are the eligibility criteria for Patna University PG Admissions 2020?
Ans. Candidates seeking admission in PG admissions must fulfill the eligibility criteria before applying. The set-up eligibility criteria by the university are as follows:
- For MA Courses: Candidates must have a Bachelor’s Honors Degree in the required subject. Candidates having an equivalent degree to Bachelor’s Honors will be judged on their merit, 10% lesser than the Bachelor's Degree holder.
- For M.Com.: Candidates must be Graduate with Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com.) Honors Degree or in allied subjects like BBA or BBM. Candidates with a degree equivalent to that of Honors Degree will be judged on 10% lesser merit.
- For M.Sc.: Candidate must be a Graduate with Bachelor Honors Degree in the subject concerned.
Ques. How are Patna University UG admissions conducted?
Ans. Patna University UG admissions are conducted through various entrance exams. Candidates seeking for UG courses in the university will have to appear for the PUCET (Patna University Common Entrance Test), BLET (Bachelor of Law Entrance Test), and BEET (Bachelor of Education Entrance Test) depending on which courses they are applying for.