Panjab University (PU) is a state university which is located in the capital city of Chandigarh, Punjab. It was established in the year 1882 and is approved by the AICTE, UGC, and NAAC with ‘A’ grade. The University has been ranked No.2 in the US News Ranking 2018 and ranked 7th in India for 2017 Institutional Swachhata Ranking. PU offers various UG, Integrated, PG, Executive, Diploma, PG Diploma, Certificate, and Research Level courses. Admission to certain courses is based on Entrance Exams conducted by the University, whereas for some courses the college accepts the score of competitive national level examinations like JEE Main, NEET MDS, GATE and more.
Check PU Admission
Panjab University Highlights
|Type of Programs||UG, PG, Diploma, Certificate and Research|
|Entrance Exam||JEE Main, NEE, MET, CAT, PU CET (UG and PG)|
Panjab University Courses
PU offers so many modern-day career-oriented courses at numerous levels at the UG, PG, PG Diploma, Diploma, Certificate, Integrated, Executive, Ph.D., and M.Phil courses through the following faculties:
|Courses||Seats Intake||Eligibility||Admission Criteria|
|M.A.||46+5 NRI+ 2 Foreign Nationals||Bachelor’s degree with 45% marks in the subject or 50% marks in aggregate||Merit-Based|
|MSW||33+4 NRI+ 2 Foreign Nationals||PU CET (PG)|
PU CET (PG): 15%
GD+ PI: 35%
|MJMC||30+ 5 NRI+ 2 Foreign Nationals||PU CET (PG) Entrance test: 60%|
Qualifying Examination: 40%
|MBA (International Business or Human Resource)||64+9 NRI+ 3 Foreign Nationals||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with 50% marks in aggregate||CAT 2018 CAT Score: 85% GD + PI: 15%|
|M.Com (Hons)||27+3 NRI+ 1 Foreign National||B.Com/BBA with 45% marks in aggregate||CET PG|
|M.Ed||50||Graduate with 50% marks ||Merit-based|
|M.Tech||10+2 NRI+ 1 Foreign National||B.E/B.Tech with 50% marks in the aggregate||GATE|
|M.E.||20+ 2NRI+ 1 Foreign National||B.E./B.Tech with 60% marks in the aggregate||PU CET (PG)|
|LL.M||42+ 4 NRI+ 2 Foreign National||LL.B/BA LL.B/ B.Com LL.B with 55% marks |
|MDS||20||BDS degree from a recognized board||NEET MDS|
|B.A.(Hons) Economics||29+4 NRI+1 Foreign National||Intermediate graduate with 60% marks ||Merit-based|
|B.Lib.I.Sc||60+ 5 NRI+ 3 Foreign Nationals||Bachelor's degree with 50% marks|
|B.A. LL.B (Hons)||120||Intermediate Graduate with 50% marks (5% relaxation for reserved category)||Entrance test conducted by the University|
|B.Com LL.B. (Hons) |
|B.Pharm||46+6 NRI||PU CET (UG)|
|B.Sc (Hons)||200+ 50 NRI|
|B.E||30+ 3 NRI+ 2 Foreign National||Intermediate graduate with 55% marks in PCM||JEE Main|
|BDS||85+15 NRI||Intermediate graduate with Medical Stream||NEET|
|PG Diploma in Disaster Management||34+3 NRI+ 2 Foreign Nationals||Bachelor’s degree with 50% marks ||Merit-based|
|PG Diploma in Advertising & Public Relations||15+ 2 NRI+ 2 Foreign Nationals||Bachelor’s degree with 50% marks in aggregate or 45% in BJMC||Aptitude Test|
|PG Diploma in Women’s Studies||15+2 NRI+ 1 Foreign National||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with 50% marks||Merit-based|
|PG Diploma in Radio Production||25||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with 50% marks||Aptitude Test|
Check PU Fee Structure
Panjab University Admissions
Candidates seeking admission in the University will require to fill online admission form with duly filled-in necessary details. Those fulfiling the basic eligibility criteria of a particular course are eligible to apply. However, final admission will only be given on the basis of entrance test conducted by PU or scores of competitive examinations.
53.5% of the seats in each course are reserved for General Category and 46.5% seats are reserved for the categories are given below:
- 15% for candidate belonging to the Scheduled Castes
- 7.5% for candidates belonging to the Scheduled Tribes
- 5% for candidates belonging to the Backward Classes
Apart from these, 5% of the seats are reserved for PwD candidates, 5% for sports category, and 5% for candidates belonging to Defence.
International Students Admission
Foreign or NRI students seeking admission in any of the courses being offered by the University must have the basic qualification as required. They will be required to produce the scores of the following tests to take admission:
- SAT II for admission to UG Courses
- GRE or GMAT for admission to PG Courses
- TOEFL or IELTS for non-English speaking students
To take admission in B.P.Ed and M.P.Ed (Physical Education), a candidate will be required to undergo a mandatory Physical Efficiency Test (PET).
Panjab University Ranking
|Body / Magazine||Rank||Year|
|QS World University Rankings||801-1000 (World)||2018|
|QS World University Rankings||301-350 (Asia)||2018|
|QS World University Rankings||201-205 (BRICS Nations)||2018|
|Times Higher Education World University Rankings||601-800 (World University Rankings)||2018|
|Times Higher Education World University Rankings||121-130 (Asia)||2018|
Punjab University Scholarships
Scholarships are offered to deserving candidates on basis of Merit and for Sportsperson, Economically Poor Candidates, handicapped students, Wards of Army Personnel, Wards of University Employees, Girls and Candidates belonging to backward classes. Following are the details for the same:
- Need-cum-Merit Scholarships for Handicap Students: These scholarships are paid for nine months a year to the students as per the conditions laid down for the award out of "Students Scholarship Fund".
- Sports Scholarships: This is awarded on the basis of the grading done by the Sports Department based on the performance of the Campus students in various sports activities. This scholarship is paid for nine months a year out of the "Students Scholarship Fund".
- Mrs. Udham Kaur Scholarships: Two Scholarships to the girl students Menon Educational (for 10 months) studying in Medical Colleges affiliated to Pb. University Strictly on the basis of Merit-cum-means with INR 1000 per month.
- P.U. Soldier’s Relief Fund Stipends: To be awarded to two candidates, the sons and daughters of members of Defence Services studying in the Panjab University affiliated colleges. Preference will be given to the children of those who are disabled or have been killed in Military operations with INR 400 for 10 months.
- Alfred Woolner Scholarship: To a student of M.Phil./Ph.D., holding the degree of Master of Arts in one of the Indian Languages preferably of the Panjab University with INR 200 for two years.
- Financial Assistance: This is paid out of "Poor Students Welfare Fund" to the deserving P.U. Hostel residents.
Panjab University Placements
PU offers Placements to all candidates through their central placement cell. The Placement Cell of the university endeavors to offer training & placement services to the students. The students are worth placed in consultancies, Think Tanks, Research Institutes besides Academics and Civil Services. The university has got so many tie-ups with many reputed and renowned firms as well as companies for providing maximum placement and training opportunities to its students so that they grow well right from their first job.
Panjab University Result
The results of the respective academic semesters of the university can be tracked simply by visiting the official result website of the university. The results can easily be found by putting students’ roll numbers in the given pdf documents for the desired program and session.
Read More PU Result
Punjab University Facilities
- Facilitating Centers: Facilitating centers providing services for various Educational and Cultural Programs and events held at the University.
- PU Radio: The University’s own community radio station (Radio Jyotirgamaya 91.2), which helps in unifying the university’s faculty, students and other community members. The radio programs can be heard up to the range of 10 kilometers.
- Health Centre: Bhai Ghanaiya Ji (BGJ) Institute of Health fulfills the medical requirements for about 40,000 employees and their dependents, students from all the departments, boys and girls residing in the hostels, daily wage workers, contractual employees, hostel mess and canteen workers. 24x7 emergency services are available. BGJ Institute of Health is manned by a general physician and specialists from different faculties of PU.
- Sports: The University has playgrounds for all major sports, gymnasium, International level Swimming Pool, Diving Pool, Athletic Track and more. The University has been awarded The Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy for 13 times, for excellence in games & sports at All India Inter-University level.