Updated On - January 20th 2018
Indian Law Institute (ILI), New Delhi was established in 1956 with the objective of promoting and conducting legal research. It was established as a result of the efforts of the leading jurists of India for over a number of years. It is a truism that a sound legal order is the basis of a democratic society, because law is one of the major instrumentalities by which a society can hope to prosper and develop.
- The Indian Law Institute has been granted Deemed to be University Status in 2004 vide Government of India, Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD)
- ILI is headed by the Honorable Chief Justice of India as its Ex-officio President. The Union Minister of Law and Justice and Attorney General for India are its Ex-officio Vice-Presidents.
- The Institute's Library is one of the best libraries in the country. It has more than 75000 titles. It subscribes to 270 current legal periodicals. JILI is one of the leading law journal. ASIL contains surveys written by academicians and practitioners.
- ILI was formally inaugurated by the President of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad on December 12, 1957
- Korea Legislation Research Institute - South Korea
- Dean Rusk Centre, University of Georgia – USA
- Harvard University, USA
- University of Houston, USA
- Merit Scholarship- Institute offers scholarships of Rs. 10,000 per annum to the students admitted in ILI in order of merit of the Common Admission Test to the first two students admitted to LL.M. 1 year/ 2 year. The scholarship will be awarded after the 1st trimester / semester examination.
- Merit-cum-Means Scholarship- With a view to help the deserving meritorious needy students admitted to LL.M. - 1 year/ 2 year course, the Institute might reimburse half the fee of any student (maximum 5% of the intake) keeping in view his/her financial status on the recommendations of the committee to be constituted by the Director.
- Gold Medals to Meritorious Students- There is a scheme for award of Gold Medals to Meritorious Students who secured highest marks (First rank) in the LL.M. - 1 year / 2 year course and in some Post Graduate Diploma Examinations conducted by the Institute.