Goa University offers education in various streams like engineering, commerce, management, science, and arts. It has a total of 56 affiliated colleges providing both professional and general education. The University on its campus has 1 Centre, 20 Departments, and 3 Schools.
Candidates are selected on the basis of an entrance test namely GU ART for admission in PG courses. Over 30000 youth are studying in affiliated colleges and over 2000 are enrolled for PG courses at the university campus. The percentage of women (over 60%) outnumber men (over 40%).
Click here Goa University Cutoff
Goa University Highlights
|Established | Type||1985 | State University|
|Accredited by||NAAC – ‘A’ grade|
|Recognized by||UGC(University Grant Commission)|
|Campus Area||427.49 acres|
|Program Type ||PG and Doctorate|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance and Merit-based|
|Total Students | Faculties||1937 | 152|
Goa University Ranking
- Ranked 65th in the overall category by QS Ranking 2020
- Ranked at 93rd in the overall category of NIRF Ranking 2019
- Ranked at 76th by the Outlook Ranking 2019 in the overall category
- Ranked at 36th position among All India University by The Week 2019
Goa University Courses
Goa University offers courses at the undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctorate levels. However, the UG courses are offered by the colleges affiliated to the university. Tabulated below are the details regarding the same:
|M.L.I.Sc||Library and Information Science||20|
Graduates in any stream including Commerce, Science, Arts, Engineering, Management who have completed their graduation from Goa University or any other recognized University in India or abroad are eligible to apply. Those who are in the final year of their graduation can also apply.
Goa University Ph.D.
The university started offering Doctorate Courses to the students. Goa University focuses on qualifying their students to teach their chosen subject at the university level or to work in a specialized position in their chosen field.
- Candidate should possess a master’s degree in the concerned branch with a minimum of 55% marks/second class pass (50% for SC/ST/PD/VH/ in-service candidates of Goa University or its affiliated colleges) /equivalent grade from Goa University /any other recognized University.
- Students having B.Com. Degree with minimum 50% aggregate of marks in the first attempt and a pass in the professional examinations conducted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) are also eligible to apply.
Check: Goa University Fees Structure
Goa University Admission
Goa University offers various courses in its postgraduate, undergraduate and research programs. The application process is available only in online mode and candidates can obtain the application form either from the official website of the university. Goa University selects its candidates for PG courses based on the performance in GU ART (Goa University Admission Ranking Test). A merit list will be prepared on the basis of rank obtained in the entrance test under which admission will be provided.
For admission in M.Phil or Ph.D. programs, the university accepts a valid score in JRF/ NET/ SET/ GATE/ GPAT which will be followed by an interview. Candidates who have qualified NET/ SET will be exempted from the entrance test.
The university has reserved the following categories on the basis of the policy of the state government:
|Categories||% of seats reserved|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||12%|
|Scheduled Classes (SC)||2%|
|Other Backward Classes||27%|
|Wards of Ex-Servicemen||1%|
Know more: Goa University Admission
Note: Goa University results
are normally declared within a month’s time after the semester-end examination. The result can be checked on the university’s official website.
Goa University Scholarship
The university has a number of scholarships, freeships, research studentship available for deserving and meritorious students. Listed below are the details for the same:
- Merit Scholarship: The students securing more than 60% marks in the qualifying examination in respect of Arts, Commerce & Management Studies and at least 65% of the aggregate marks in Science Streams are eligible.
- Free Studentship: The students whose parents’ income does not exceed INR 3 LPA can apply for this. The candidate must have secured at least 45% marks in Arts, Commerce & Management Studies and 50% marks in the Science stream.
- Research Studentship: Full-time research scholars who have obtained a minimum of 55% marks in Master’s degree and whose Ph.D. registration has been confirmed are eligible.
Other Scholarships by various Government/ Institutions:
- Post Matric Scholarship to Schedule Tribe (ST) Community
- Post Matric Scholarship to Schedule Caste(SC) Community
- Post Matric Scholarship to Other Backward Classes(OBC) Community
- Post Matric Scholarship to Differently Abled Person
- Dayanand Bandodkar Scheme for Higher Education for Orphans
- Fee Waiver Scheme for SC/ST Students pursuing Higher Educations
Goa University Facilities
Following are some of the facilities offered by the university to cater to the need of the students:
- Hostels: There are separate hostel facilities for both the male and female students on the university campus. There are 2 hostels each for men and women with well-equipped facilities like Mess, WiFi connectivity, Sports, TV room, Bus service, etc. Priority is given to students who have enrolled for PG programs and research scholars in the university. The students enrolled in the affiliated colleges will only be provided accommodation on the basis of availability.
- Library: There is a huge collection of over 208519 books, 35827 reference books, 243 journals, and 214 e-books. Apart from this, students can also have access to digital databases, CDs, DVDs, and e-journals. A total of 120 students can be seated in the library.
- Computer Centre: The university computer centre was set up with the assistance of UGC to provide IT services to both faculty and students. It is equipped with all the latest software for easy access. There are a total of 24 computer labs spread over the university with internet connectivity of 1 Gbps.