Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Bangalore is the 3rd IIM, established after IIM Calcutta. It was institutionalised in 1973, to provide managers for public sector companies due to growing demands. IIM Bangalore is a distinguished Management institute in not just India but in Asia too. It is known for its renowned flagship MBA program. IIM Bangalore Admission Criteria for MBA is very comprehensive, only a handful (of 400) from over a lakh applications are shortlisted for final admission. NIRF ranked IIM Bangalore at #2 in 2020, while FT Global Rankings 2020 ranked IIMB MBA at #27.
Located in India’s Silicon Valley, the hub of startups and technological advancements, IIM Bangalore attracts more than 150 companies annually for on-campus placement drives. IIM Bangalore Placements are usually 100% and average CTC is promising in terms of high ROI. IIM Bangalore is also the only Indian institution to have partnered with Yale University for exchange programs through Global Network for Advanced Management.
IIM Bangalore Admission Updates: IIM Bangalore has concluded its interviews on Feb 21, for MBA 2021 batch applicants. Applicants are being shortlisted for final admission call. The list is expected to release by March 10. For MBA admission to 400 seats at IIM Bangalore this year, applicants were shortlisted based on overall percentile in CAT - 85. CAT sectional cutoff was 75 for DILR & QA and 80 for VARC. Final shortlisting would give weightage of 50% to academics and 40% to CAT scores. The CAT percentile is expected to range above 99. Check: IIM Bangalore CAT Cutoff
IIM Bangalore MBA vs IIM Ahmedabad MBA
- As per ranking: IIM Ahmedabad ranks #1 in 2020, while IIM Bangalore ranked #1 in 2019 by NIRF.
- Both offer MBA degrees in place of PG Diplomas after course completion.
- In terms of fee: Both IIM Bangalore and IIM Ahmedabad charge INR 23 lakhs for its MBA programme. Read: IIM Bangalore MBA Fee
- MBA admission at IIM Bangalore and Ahmedabad are highly selective. Accepting CAT percentile between 99 and 100 and high distinction in academics. Check: IIMs Selection Criteria
- In terms of placements: IIM Ahmedabad leads with highest CTC of INR 74.6 LPA. in comparison to IIM Bangalore offering between INR 50-55 LPA in 2020. With a promising high ROI.
- Exchange Programmes: IIM Bangalore has partnered with 13 international institutions, IIM Ahmedabad has only 07 international partnerships.
Read More: Is IIM Bangalore better than IIM Ahmedabad?
Apart from MBA, there are also other 05 programmes offered by IIM Bangalore. Second widely opted course being EMBA. admission to IIM Bangalore EMBA is based on GMAT or GRE scores followed by Executive Assessment Centre (EAC) evaluation. Phd admissions accept GMAT / GRE / CAT / GATE / JRF or IIMB Test for admission followed by an interview.
IIM Bangalore Ranking
In terms of rankings, IIM Bangalore ranks in the top 30 for not just MBA but also for its overall performance and satisfaction. IIM Bangalore has been rated 9.2/10 as per Collegedunia reviews which is a good rating. IIM Bangalore has been ranked by other agencies as well, details of which are tabulated below:
|Ranking Agency||Ranking||Ranking Category|
|NIRF||#2||NIRF 2020 Ranking|
|The Week||#2||MBA 2020 Ranking|
|Financial Times||#27||Global MBA Ranking 2020|
Also Check: IIM Bangalore Ranking
IIM Bangalore Courses: Eligibility, Fee & Selection
IIMB offers a total of 06 programs including Certificate programs. Duration and Fees of which are tabulated below.
|Courses||Course Details||Selection Basis|
|PGP or MBA||Duration: 2 years
Eligibility: Bachelor's degree with a minimum aggregate of 50% aggregate (for candidates belonging to SC/ST/PwD category, there is a relaxation to 45%)
|CAT / GMAT (international candidates) + WAT / PI|
|Executive PGPM (EMBA)||Duration: 1 year + 5 years Work Experience
Eligibility: Graduation with a minimum aggregate of 50% aggregate (there is a 5% relaxation for SC, ST and PwD category candidates) Or Minimum 5 years (and preferably less than 12 years) of work experience as on March 31 of the academic year of admission
|GMAT or GRE|
|PGP in Enterprise Management (PGPEM)||Duration: 2 years (Weekend) E
ligibility: Bachelor's degree with a minimum aggregate of 50% in any discipline Or Minimum 4 years of work experience after the Bachelor’s degree.
|CAT / GMAT / GRE / IIMB Test|
|PGP in Business Analytics (PGPBA)||Duration: 2 years (Full time) Eligibility: Graduation with a minimum aggregate of 50%||CAT / GMAT (international candidates) + WAT / PI|
|Ph.D.||Duration: 5 years Eligibility: A master's degree or a 5-year integrated master’s degree with at least 55% aggregate in bachelor’s as well in the master’s OR A professional qualification like CA, ICWA, CS with at least 50% aggregate OR A 4-year bachelor's degree with at least 6.5 CGPA or equivalent aggregate.||GMAT / GRE / CAT / GATE / JRF or IIMB Test|
IIM Bangalore Admissions
Admission to various courses at IIM Bangalore is based on respective entrance exams. There are personal interviews or Aptitude Test rounds as well.
Applicants must qualify bachelor’s or master’s depending upon the admission criteria requirement. MBA admission accepts CAT (domestic) and GMAT (foreign). EMBA requires either GMAT or GRE scores followed by EAC evaluation. CAT / GMAT entrances are common for PGPEM and an aptitude test. Phd accepts JRF or IIMB Test plus interview for admission.
How to Apply?
- Fill the application form through the official website of the Institute.
- Submit detailed information along with the CAT Score or other scores.
- Shortlisted candidates will be called for a personal interview and Written Ability Test.
- They will then have to register upon receiving the mail for the interview.
- Candidates must select their interview city and other details and submit.
Check: IIM Bangalore Admission
IIM Bangalore Cutoff
In 2020, CAT overall cutoff dropped to 85 in comparison to 90 in the previous years. Admissions amid COVID-19 have had their challenges as well. From a sectional cutoff of 90 in 2019, IIM Bangalore reduced it to 85 this year. Check the following table for reference:
|Category||VARC||DILR||QUANT||CAT 2020 Overall percentile|
For more details read: IIM Bangalore Cutoff
IIM Bangalore Placement
As per 2020 placement statistics, IIM Bangalore has managed to have 100% placements for MBA with highest recruitments in Sales & Marketing of 16%. The table below gives insight to key statistics course wise:
|No. of Eligible Students||432||75||9|
|No. of Companies||120||26||-|
|No. of Offers||518||67||3|
|Average Domestic CTC||INR. 26.18 LPA||INR. 29.88 LPA||-|
|Median Domestic CTC||INR. 25 LPA||INR. 28.50 LPA||-|
Various Top recruiters of IIM Bangalore were Amazon, Accenture, Bain, and Company, McKinsey&Company, Microsoft, Aditya Birla Group, Citibank, Deloitte, Proctor, and Gamble, etc.
The graph below shows sector wise placement record for IIM Bangalore MBA students:
For information, check: IIM Bangalore Placement
IIM Bangalore Scholarship
There are a number of scholarships awarded to the students of Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore upon fulfilling a basic criteria. The various types of scholarships offered are:
Privately Offered Scholarships:
- Aditya Birla Scholarship: The scholarship is offered to the students in 1st as well as 2nd year. It's a merit based scholarship of PGP students and the amount is INR 1.75 Lakh per student.
- OPJEMS Scholarship: This merit-based scholarship is given to PGP students of the second year. The first ten toppers of 2nd year based on the academic performance in the first year are eligible to apply on the basis of online test conducted by OP Jindal Group one student of each academic year will be awarded. The scholarship amount is INR 1.50 lakh
- Siddhartha Padam Award: This scholarship is awarded to a PGP student who is on the Director’s Merit List and gets the highest CGPA in the Economics, Finance & Accounting core courses in the first year. It carries a cash prize of INR 50,000, a medallion and a certificate.
- Hindustan Unilever / T Thomas Scholarship: This merit-cum-means scholarship is given by HUL to one PGP second-year student. The scholarship of INR 1 lakh
- Yes Bank Scholarship: This scholarship of INR 2 lakhs is open to students who are among the top 20 students as per the admission criteria, belong to the top 20% of the batch based on the current CGPA and are members of at least one student committee.
IIMB Alumni Scholarships:
- IIMB PGP Alumni First Batch (1976) Scholarship: This scholarship is given to a differently-abled woman student from PGP. The scholarship aims to assist a differently-abled female student (or male student, if there is no eligible female student). The scholarship carries a purse of INR 75000, a medallion and a certificate.
- Runwal Education Trust Scholarship: This scholarship is given to a PGP student based on a combination of academic performance in the 1st year and the student’s financial need. The scholarship carries a purse of INR 100000, a medallion and a certificate.
Government Funded Scholarships:
- NTPC Scholarship Scheme: The scholarship amounts to INR 48,000 per year. Students who belong to SC/ST/PwD categories and are in their second year of management studies, having passed the first-year examination in one attempt, are eligible for the scholarship.
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs Scholarship (ST): The Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India invites applications for the National Scholarship for Higher Education for Scheduled Tribe students of PGP first year. This is a means scholarship that covers tuition expenses in full.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Scholarship (SC): The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Government of India invites applications for the National Scholarship for Higher Education for Scheduled Caste students from Meritorious SC students PGP first year. This is a means scholarship that covers tuition expenses in full.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Department of Persons with Disabilities (PwD): A person with a disability having not less than 40% disability and having a disability certificate issued by any competent medical authority. This is a means scholarship is 2,55,000 per year.
Read More IIM Bangalore Scholarships
IIM Bangalore Exchange Programmes
In comparison to IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore has more and better options available to choose from for exchange programmes. IIM Bangalore offers 13 wide options while IIM Ahmedabad has limited its options to 07 only. Read on for IIMB’s international collaborations:
- Booth School Of Business
- Yale School Of Management
- Stern School of Business
- London Business School
- Fuqua School of Business
- UCLA Anderson School of Management
- Johnson Cornell
- Australian School of Business
- Melbourne Business School
- University of NSW
- McGill University
- Queen’s School Of Business.
Ques. Is IIM Bangalore better than IIM Ahmedabad?
Ans. Both IIM Bangalore and IIM Ahmedabad are at par with each other. The ranking fluctuates yearly. Sometimes IIMB ranks higher than IIM Ahmedabad or it is vice versa in other cases. Both IIMs offer a top ranking MBA programme which has promising career prospects.
Ques. Does IIM Bangalore offer summer internships?
Ans. Yes, IIM Bangalore does offer summer internships to its students. The key statistics for 2020 summer internship placements for MBA students are as follows:
|Top Sector recruitment||Consulting: 144 offers|
|Top Recruiters||Goldman Sachs, CDC Group, Avendus Capital, Citibank, etc.|
For more details, check: IIM Bangalore Placement
Ques. What was the batch profile of IIM Bangalore’s MBA batch of 20-22?
Ans. The batch of 20-22 of MBA at IIM Bangalore included the following type of students:
|IIMB MBA Batch Data||MBA 2020-22|
|Batch Strength||488 students|
|Engineering Background||423 students|
|Non-Engineering Background||65 students|
|Average Work Experience||2 Years|
|Average Age||25 Years|
|CAT 2019 Overall Score||90|
Ques. What is the fee break up of MBA at IIM Bangalore?
Ans. The fee break up for IIM Bangalore MBA Fee is as follows:
- The total fee for 2 years: INT 23 lakhs
- Caution Deposit: INR 15,000
- Hostel Fee: INR 5,000
Ques. Which is better at IIM Bangalore weekend or full time MBA?
Ans. Both the courses offered at IIM Bangalore have their plus points.
Full time MBA:
- Applicants ideal are fresh graduates with bare minimum work experience.
- Placement opportunities are available in abundance.
- 2 years is the course duration.
- Would not require candidates to quit their jobs.
- Classes can be attended as per convenience.
- Not very good job prospects.
For more details check here.