Established in 1949 and gaining the title of a statutory university in 1950, Karnatak University is the second oldest university of Karnataka providing quality education over the years. There are 5 constituent colleges offering UG and PG courses in science, arts, commerce, fine arts, law and education. The institution has been consistently ranked at the 90th -95th place by the QS India University rankings and is amongst the top 550 colleges in Asia according to the Asian University rankings 2020. It is officially recognized by the UGC and has received Accreditation from the NAAC.
The university offers various PG and PhD courses under the department of science, social sciences and management studies. Admissions are processed on the basis of merit through the exam held by the institution for PG students and on the basis of merit for UG students.
Karnatak University Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||1949| Public|
|Approved by||University Grants Commission of India|
|Set by||Government of India|
|Entrance Exam||Karnatak University admission test/JEE/GATE/NET/SLET/JRF/CMAT/GMAT/KMAT|
|Courses Offered||PG/PG Diploma (1 year)/MBA/PhD/M. Phil/Distance learning/ Certificate courses|
|Admission Criteria||Merit-based & Entrance Test|
|Campus Area||888 Acres|
|Facilities Available||Library, Hostels, Computer centre, Gymkhana, Day care and women’s facility centre|
Karnatak University Ranking
|QS India university rankings||92||2020|
|QS India university rankings||59||2019|
Karnatak University Courses
The University offers a variety of PG, PhD, M. Phil and Diploma courses.
|M.Sc||Biochemistry||2 years||45% passing exam in the qualifying graduation examinations|
|M.A.||Arts||Kannada||2 years||45% passing exam in the qualifying graduation examinations|
|Foreign Languages (French)|
|Sanskrit Urdu & Persian|
|Social Sciences||Ancient Indian History & Epigraphy,|
|Criminology & Forensic Science ,|
|History & Archaeology, Jainology,|
|Mass Communication & Journalism,|
|Library & Information Science,|
|Sociology, Social Work|
|MBA||-||2 years||50% marks in any Bachelor’s degree + PG-CET by VTU|
|MTA||-||2 years||Candidates must have Post-Graduate degree in the related discipline with at least 55% marks.|
|Corporate Secretary (CS)|
|LL.M||-||2 years||A candidate passing 3 years LL.B. or 5 years B.A.LL.B., B.A. LL.B. (Hons.)|
|M. Ed.||-||1 year||Candidate passing B. Ed with 50% aggregate.|
Apart from the above mentioned courses, the college also offers Masters in Tourism Administration (MTA), PhD, PG Diploma, Certificate courses, Diploma, Advanced Diploma
Read more: Karnatak University Courses & Fees
Karnatak University Admissions
Admissions at Karnatak University for PG and PhD aspirants are based on the entrance examinations conducted by the university and merit list is drawn up by the same.
How to apply?
Students who wish to apply to Karnatak University may follow the steps given below for the admission process:
- Application forms are available online on the official website of Karnatak university in the admission section.
- All details in the form including education details, names and addresses need to be filled accurately.
- Submission of the form requires an application fee. The application fee for general category students is INR 150 and INR 70 for SC/ST students. The form needs to be submitted before the deadline.
- In case of the registration for the entrance examinations, the same rules are applicable. The entrance exam is conducted offline and consists of objective type questions. The examination pattern and syllabus are given on the official website.
- Results are declared on the official website of Karnatak University in the ‘University News’ section, which can be consequently checked by the candidates.
- In respect of those subjects where the Entrance test is conducted admission is made on the basis of a merit list prepared by taking into consideration 50% of marks obtained in the qualifying examination and 50% of marks obtained in the Entrance test.
Read more: Karnatak University Admission
Karnatak University Placement
The university has maintained a 90% placement rate for the meritorious students accompanied with a fair salary package. Students are presented with Internship opportunities for 6-8 months with guaranteed stipend. The placement cell conducts mock interviews, pre- placement talks and encourages other necessary preparation amongst students to improve employability qualities. Top recruiters include Wipro Technologies, Cisco, Tech Mahindra, Cognizant, Infosys etc. with an average offered salary of INR 2.50 LPA. Campus recruitment drives are carried out every single year to help students achieve a steady position at reputed workplaces.
Read more: Karnatak University Placement
Karnatak University Scholarships
The university offers a range of scholarships which include:
- Students from minority groups are eligible for a scholarship if they surpass a cutoff of 75% in their higher secondary examinations.
- Need based scholarships for students with low family income.
- Students whose parents have served/are serving in the military are eligible for scholarships.
- The university also provides scholarships in the sports quota and to the physically challenged students.
Read more: Karnatak University Scholarship
Karnatak University Facilities
The university provides the following facilities that cater to the needs of both faculties and students:
- Green Library: In accordance to the university’s vision, the green library aims at providing lush green space for developing knowledge and culture. The place includes heritage walks, corners for group discussion, informative signboards and a centre for photographs and painting. The entire area undergoes daily maintenance.
- Separate hostels for boys and girls: The University has 21 hostels that are adequately equipped with modern facilities.
- Day care and women’s facility centre: The University caters to a safe space for women who can relax and spend their leisure time at this centre. It also allows working mothers to accommodate their toddlers at the daycare.
- Gymkhana: The gymkhana maintains sports spirit amongst the students and faculties alike and organizes fests, sports competitions and other social and cultural functions.
- Co-operative store: The co-operative store is run by the university and sells everyday necessities to the general public.
Karnatak University Faculty
The 8 departments of Karnatak University encompasses over 224 faculties throughout the main and the affiliate colleges catering to the needs of over 5000 students. The professors impart quality education with many of them granted PhD’s at the University of Michigan, Seoul National University, Zhejiang University and other reputed international institutions. Dr. Shri. Vajubhai Rudabhai Vala who is the Governor of Karnataka is also the Chancellor of Karnatak University.
Read more: Karnatak University Faculty
Karnatak University FAQs
Ques. Does Karnatak University provide research opportunities for PhD students?
Ans. Karnatak University receives various funds from the UGC, Karnataka State Research Scheme, Department of Science & Technology (DST), Nuclear Science Center (NSC), Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR), Department of Ocean Development (DOD) and many other reputed government research agencies for facilitating successful atmosphere for research amongst the students. Paper published by the students have received recognition from reputed international and national organisations and websites in the past.
Ques. What is the fee structure for distance learning courses provided by Karnatak University?
Ans. Karnatak University offers 15 distance learning courses. The course fee ranges from 13000-13800 for the entire course period.
Ques. When is the application form for UG and PG courses released?
Ans. The forms in questions are generally released in the month of April. The tentative dates for the release of the application forms for UG and PG courses are announced beforehand in the official website.
Ques. What are documents required during the time of an application at Karnatak University?
Ans. Candidates are required to present a list of necessary documents which include government issued identity card (Aadhar/Passport/PAN card), necessary mark sheets (10+2, graduation results) and passport size photographs.
Ques. What is the syllabus for the entrance examinations held by Karnatak University?
Ans. Candidates who wish to pursue a PG or PhD course at Karnatak University need to appear for an entrance examination. It is a 100 marks test containing 50 multiple choice questions, each carrying two marks. The syllabus for each course is different and can be found along with the examination bulletin released on the official website. Candidates can also go through past year’s question papers that can be easily found on the internet.
Ques. What are the recognitions and accreditations of Karnatak University (KU)?
Ques. What are the entrance examinations accepted for admission at Karnatak University?
Ques. What is the estimated cost to pursue an MBA course at Karnatak University?
Ques. What are the facilities offered at Karnatak University?
Ques. Does Karnatak University have a dedicated placement cell?