National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS) is multidisciplinary in nature. It is not only providing for patient care, but also for excellence in the field of education. In the year 1925, it had been renamed as Mental Hospital in the year 1925 by the then Government of Mysore
- All India Institute of Mental Health and this hospital was set up in the year 1954 by the India Government and also merged on the 27th of December, 1974.
- Then it became an autonomous body which was named ‘National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS)
- In the year 1994, on 14th of November, NIMHANS was declared as a Deemed University by the University Grants Commission that runs under the aid of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Karnataka.
Facts and Figures of National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences
Nearest Metropolitan City
10-14 Km away from Bangalore
How to Reach
40 km from the Bangalore International Airport
- 35,000 books
- 40,000 back volumes of journals
- 1500 e-Journals
Why to join National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS)
- Kannada Language LearningProgramme – Kannada being oldest (one if the) Dravidian language, the students who are not able to speak, are taught so that they can interact very well. It is also the official language of the state Karnataka
- District Mental Health Program – District Mental Health Program (DMHP) is providing infrastructure for public health infrastructure
- Advanced Centre for Yoga – The facilities for meditating and yoga are also there for all. It is located at the 3rd floor of the department for rehabilitation