The Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) is a space institute, functions as autonomous body under the Department of Space, Govt. of India and is sponsored by Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), recognized from the UGC as ‘Deemed to be University’ (Section 3 of UGC Act, 1956) in 2008. It was inaugurated in 2007 by G. Madahvan Nair, the then chairman of ISRO. It is the first in Asia and the first in the world to offer the complete range of programs in space science and technology under IIST Admission 2019.
- It is located at Valiamala and is just 18 km from the Thiruvananthapuram Central Railway Station.
- The former Chancellor of the University is none other the Missile Man, the former President of Indian subcontinent Late Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.
- IIST has signed MoUs with USRA (Universities Space Research Association) of USA and California Institute of Technology (Caltech) for the exchange of students and faculty.
- The students passed out from IIST are recruited as scientists and engineers in the Department of Space facilities and Indian Space Research Organization centers all over India.
IIST offers undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs in space science and technology. Some post-doctoral fellowship (PDF) programs are also offered. Except for these regular courses IIST also provides part-time postgraduate and doctoral programs for ISRO/ DoS employees.
Check: IIST Fee Structure.
The departments are providing with the best of facilities and also impart excellent education. Each of the departments are proving with the best of education and learning. The list of the departments is as follows:
- Department of Physics
- Department of Avionics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Humanities
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Department of Earth and Space Sciences.
The Placement Cell of IIST continually liaisons with industry, R&D organizations, and management organizations, with the foresight of Training, Career-Guidance, Internship/Project, and Campus Placements. The Placement Cell works abreast in line with the policies of the Institute and attempts to coherently match the interests of students with an appropriate job profile with a suitable recruiter. It channelizes feedback from Industry, R&D Organizations and Management Organizations regarding academic programs, to the Institute. The Placement Cell continually functions to safeguard the interest of the students and also endeavors to be a part of their safe and secure future. Some of the recruiting companies who visited in the session 2018-19 are such as Adobe Systems, Agnikul Cosmos Pvt. Ltd, COMSOL India, Continental Automotives, Cell Propulsion, Cypress Semiconductors and many more like them.
Know more about IIST Placements
IIST Cut Off
The minimum rank required in competitive tests is called cut off marks. At IIST, Cut Off Marks are required to seek admissions in IIST B.Tech 2019. Candidates who will not have JEE Advanced ranks equivalent to IIST B.Tech 2019 cutoff will have fewer chances to get admission in comparison to those who have ranks more than or equivalent to the cut-off. Candidates can check the previous years’ cut off of IIST B.Tech program in order to get an idea about the same and also know the factors that go into making it.
In JEE-(Advanced), maximum mark for each subject is 120 and the aggregate is 360. Accordingly, the minimum (cut-off) marks for each subject and the aggregate, which should be secured for eligibility to apply for B.Tech admissions in IIST.
Students of IIST take active parts in various extracurricular activities. There are many clubs made by students who organize different events
- Student projects- VYOM is the Sounding Rocket designed by the B.Tech students of IIST. Vyom had its maiden flight on the 11th of May, 2012 when it took to the sky from TERLS (Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station) and the mission was a total success. It is the first student made a sounding rocket in Asia and the Vyom Mk II is planned for launch in 2014.
- Students Clubs- Students clubs setup at IIST are following-
1. We, the Stargazers- This is an astronomy club exposes students to the wonders of space.
2. QC (Quiz Club)- This club conducts weekly quiz sessions where members challenge each other on a variety of topics like art, literature, sports, science and technology, films, politics, etc.
3. Physics Club- This club is a gathering ground for students who like to question the challenges of science.
4. Vox Materia (Material Science Club)-This club works Under the Department of Chemistry and focuses on student projects on fabrication and development of advanced materials.
IIST is not only a premier institute in academics but it also provides a wide range of requisite facilities for the students that make the institute a far better than others. Some of these are the following-
The main campus at Valiamala houses the academic area, research laboratories, library and information blocks, computer center, administrative area, senate cum convocation area, residential area, students’ activity center, and a sports complex.
The operations of the library are fully computerized and the Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) is accessible from anywhere in the campus on a 24X7 basis.
E-resources deployed in the campus-wide network contains more than 3000 e-journals, hundreds of conference papers, standards etc.
There are good computing facilities that have been provided for the students:
- Data Centre- High-Performance cluster server having 3 Terra flop speed (32 HP Blade servers having 64 Dual Quad Processor), 20 TB SAN Storage with NAS Header, Campus Automation Servers, 8 Servers with 4CPU/Dual CPU.
2.High Performance Computing Lab
3. Programming Lab with 64 Desktop Computers with Heavy duty Printers.
The Sport’s Club organizes interesting and exciting league like IIST Cricket League.
The Badminton Club is also there.
Students can also play football and basketball.
There is a provision of a clinic and IIST has ensured emergency medical care and hospitalization for all its students by entering into a Memorandum of Understanding with M/s Ananthapuri Health Services.
Besides all these facilities some other facilities include- Guest House, Studio Apartments, Bank and Post Office, Open Air Theatre, Convocation Complex
The following student festivals are organized at IIST every year-
- Conscientia- It is the Annual Science and Technology Festival of IIST. Conscientia offers various challenging events in different fields of engineering and science. The 2010 edition was inaugurated by Chancellor, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.
- Dhanak- It is the Annual Cultural Festival of IIST. It spans all facets of cultural activity, including dramatics, fine arts, literature, quizzing, music, dance, film-making, and photography.
- MP Birla Memorial Award 2009″
- Bhu Ratna Award
- Mohamed Abdu Rahiman Sahib National Award
- Padma Vibhushan (2009)
- Padma Bhushan (1998)
The complete cost of education in IIST for all the students are funded through an Assistanceship package offered by the Department of Space. The Assistanceship package per student, per semester, is as follows-