Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay) was established in 1958 and is the second IIT on the list after IIT Kharagpur. IIT Bombay or IITB is ranked 4th in the NIRF 2020 rankings for its overall performance. IITB is best known for its CSE programs and for the same the institute has been ranked 3rd in the engineering category by the NIRF 2020. In addition to the CSE stream, IIT Mumbai also offers programs in the streams of Aerospace, Biosciences, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, etc. Candidates applying for a BTech in CSE must score between 2-66 in the JEE Advanced 2021 exam and candidates applying for the IIT Bombay MTech CSE program must score 750 in the GATE 2021 for admission. Check IIT Bombay Expected Cut off 2021.
IIT Bombay Admission Updates 2021:
- JEE Advanced 2021 exam date is scheduled for July 3, 2021. However, the registration dates for the same are yet to be announced. Candidates applying for the IIT Bombay BTech program must check JEE Advanced 2021 Practice Papers & Application Process.
- For the IIT Bombay MTech program, the GATE 2021 exam has been conducted successfully on February 14, 2021. IIT Bombay will release the GATE 2021 Answer Key on February 20, 2021.
- Candidates can check their rank in the examination using the GATE 2021 Rank Predictor.
Why IIT Bombay is best?
- Excellent faculty with 99.82% of them holding Ph.D. degrees in their relevant fields. The student to faculty ratio at IIT Bombay is 10:1. Some of the professors have their Wikipedia pages. Check IIT Bombay Faculty.
- IIT Bombay has been ranked 3rd for continuous 2 years in the Best Engineering Institutes in India category by NIRF rankings. Check IIT Bombay Rankings.
- With a moderate fee of INR 6-8 Lacs, the institute gives the best results in terms of ROI. The average salary package offered to a Graduate at IIT Bombay ranges between INR 11 LPA to INR 16 LPA. Check IIT Bombay Placements.
- IIT Mumbai was one of the first six institutes to be awarded the Institute of Eminence status in 2018.
- The institute has MoU with several foreign universities whereby the students can go for student exchange program and work on projects in one of them. Some of the foreign universities are Boston College, Curtin University of Technology, Amirkabir University of Technology, Central University of Finance & Economics, Charles Darwin University, etc.
- IIT Bombay has Society for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (SINE) which acts as an umbrella organization for entrepreneurship and tech start-ups. It was one of the earliest incubators in the field of academics with the potential to create startups focusing on economic, growth, strategic value, and social relevance. Read More IIT Bombay Start-Ups.
IIT Bombay Ranking
Being one of the leading Institutes in the country, the IIT Mumbai has received rankings from many national and international platforms:
- Ranked #151 - #175 in Engineering category internationally by Times Higher Education Ranking 2020.
- Ranked 4, 11, and 3, in the Overall, MBA, and B.Tech category, respectively, by NIRF 2020.
- India today and The Week ranked IIT Bombay at 2 for its B.Tech program in its 2020 rankings.
- Outlook ranked IIT Bombay at 3 for its B.Tech program in its 2020 rankings.
- Times Higher Education (THE) ranked IIT Bombay 401 for Overall, 151 for B.Tech, 401 for Science, and 301 for Life Science in the 2020 rankings.
IIT Bombay Courses
IIT Bombay/ IIT Mumbai is known for its B.Tech program which is considered the best in India. But over a period of time, IIT Bombay has developed itself as the leading institute for various programs at the Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Doctoral levels. Given below is a brief about the same:
|Courses Offered||Specializations||Eligibility||Tuition Fee (First Year)|
|B.Tech||Civil Engineering||10+2 passed out from any recognized board with 75% marks.||INR 2,11,400|
|Computer Science and Engineering|
|M.Tech||Computer Science and Engineering||Graduated from any recognized university in a relevant stream.||INR 2,18,800|
|M.Sc||Mathematics||Bachelor’s degree in relevant field with 55% marks scored.||INR 42,600|
|Ph.D||Computer Science and Engineering||
Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology with at least 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST) Valid GATE/ CEED/ JEST (for Physics) score OR Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) of CSIR/ UGC/ NBHM/ DBT/ ICAR/ ICMR/ ICPR OR DST INSPIRE Fellowship
Know more: IIT Bombay Fees
IIT Bombay CSE
B.Tech in Computer Science Engineering is the best program to pursue at IIT Bombay. Though the cut-off for admission is very high for admission, still the course is worth studying. This year, the opening rank for B.Tech CSE was 2 and the closing rank was 66. The average salary package for the CSE students is offered INR 20 LPA and the placement rate is 100%. The top recruiting companies for B.Tech CSE are Goldman Sachs, IBM, Qualcomm, Tata Steel, EC Japan, Microsoft, Rubrik, etc.
Read More: IIT Bombay CSE average package
IIT Bombay Expected Cut off
For the year 2021, the IIT Bombay cut-off (expected) is given in the table below. The qualifying cut off may vary a little but the overall cut off will be around the previous year’s cut off only.
IIT Bombay B.Tech Cut off 2020
|Specializations||Opening rank 2020||Closing rank 2020|
|Computer Science and Engineering||2||66|
|Metallurgical Engineering & Materials Science||2229||3650|
IIT Bombay M.Tech Cut off 2020
|Chemical Engineering (CH)||550||495||367|
|Computer Science & Engineering||750||675||500|
|Energy Science and Engineering||510||459||340|
|Geo-Informatics & Natural Resources Engineering||400||360||267|
|Industrial Engineering & Operation Research||650||585||433|
|Systems & Control Engineering||650||585||433|
|Technology & Development||380||342||253|
Check: IIT Bombay Cutoff
IIT Bombay Scholarship
IIT Bombay offers a scholarship for various programs. Mentioned below is the data of scholarships provided to the eligible students at IIT Bombay:
IIT Bombay Course-Wise Private Scholarships
|Ph.D.||SJM School of Management Endowment Scholarship|
|IITB Monash Scholarship|
|EATON Technologies Pvt. Ltd.|
|SERB (Purdue Visiting Doctoral Fellowship (for 12 months))|
|M. Tech||Forbes Marshall|
|Dr. Gargi Vishnoi Memorial Scholarship (Only for Biosciences and Bioengineering Department)|
|UG Programs||Named Scholarship|
IIT Bombay Course-Wise Government Scholarships
|Ph.D.||NBHM (National Board of Higher Mathematics|
|DBT-JRF or DBT-SRF (Department of Biotechnology Jr. research Fellowship)|
|ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research)|
|M.Tech||DAE (DGFS) (BRNS) (Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences)|
|AERB (Atomic Energy Regulatory Board)|
|MERC (Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission)|
|MPCB (Maharashtra Pollution Control Board)|
|Master of Science||NBHM (National Board of Higher Mathematics)|
|UG Programs||National Scholarships (All States)|
|National Talent Search Scholarship (NTS)|
IIT Bombay Course-Wise Institute Scholarship
|M.Sc||Merit cum Means (MCM) Scholarship|
|Free Messing Facilities (SC/ST)|
|M.Sc/PhD Dual Degree|
|Under-Graduate||Institute Merit Cum Means|
|Free Messing (SC/ST)|
Know more: IIT Bombay Scholarship
IIT Bombay Placements
Indian Institute of Technology has a dedicated and highly functional Placement Cell that ensures that all students get an opportunity to get placed at renowned companies and organizations at the national and international levels. IIT Bombay Placements 2020-21 are being run by the Institute. On day 1, a total of 35 companies visited the institute for the recruitment process and made 313 offers. 155 students got selected on day 1 including 21 international offers. The salary packages offered till date are as follows:
- Day-1: INR 1.4 Crore
- Day-2: INR 1.63 Crore (First Slot)
In the academic year 2019-20, a total of 256 companies visited IIT Bombay with 1319 job offers. The top recruiting company in this process was Microsoft. Salary packages offered in the 2019-20 placement cycle were:
- Highest salary package: INR 62.28 LPA
- Average salary package: INR 20.34 LPA
- International Salary package: INR 1.16 Crore
In the academic year 2018-2019, 343 companies made a total of 1186 job offers across courses. There were more than 200 offers from 57 companies offering a CTC of more than INR 16 LPA, along with an all-time highest number of PPOs reaching 131 in total.
The overall average CTC reached INR 17.49 LPA, including 108 international offers. Students were recruited across sectors such as Analytics, Education, Consulting, Finance, IT/Software, Research and Development, Engineering and Technology, Public Sector Undertaking, and more. Some of the top past recruiters at IIT Bombay have been tech giants such as Boeing, Apple, Microsoft, Google, Uber, IBM, Samsung, Sony, Mahindra, BYJUs, Hyundai, L&T, Vedanta, Tata, HP, ITC, and several more.
From the PG program, a total of 577 students were placed in the year 2018-2019 through IIT Bombay’s placement cell with an impressive median salary package of over INR 50.93 LPA. Over 1000 students from departments including aerospace, civil engineering, chemical engineering, computer science, engineering physics, etc were also selected for internship opportunities with reputed companies.
Know more: IIT Bombay Placement
IIT Bombay Faculty
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay has a large and diverse faculty of 580 members across all departments, schools, and centers. A majority of this number are Ph.D. holders from renowned national and international universities in their respective disciplines. The faculty at IIT Bombay is the best in class and includes some of the most academically qualified individuals in the country. The faculty to student ratio at the college is about 14:1. All members are highly experienced and encourage students to learn through innovative methods for better clarification of concepts. They are always interactive with students and stay available for students even outside of classrooms. The faculty consists of professors, assistant professors, and associate professors.
Click here: IIT Bombay Faculty
IIT Bombay Start-Up
Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay has an umbrella organization known as Society for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (SINE) for entrepreneurship and tech start-ups. The organization was set up in 2004 and to date, the institute has completed 170+ start-ups, 550+ Entrepreneurs, 4000+ Employments. Since 2004, SINE has raised INR 1400 Cr of funds. Activities under SINE includes:
- SINE Incubation
- BIRAC Bionest
- DST Nidhi Prayas
- DST Nidhi EIR
- Academia-Industry Training
- DST Nidhi Prayas PMU
- Meity Tide 2.0
- Biotechnology Ignition Grant
IIT Bombay FAQs
Ques. Which is better, IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, IIT Delhi, or IIT Kharagpur?
Ans. The table shows a comparison of IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, IIT Kharagpur, and IIT Delhi:
|Particulars||IIT Bombay||IIT Madras||IIT Delhi||IIT Kharagpur|
|Faculty members holding and % of Ph.D. Degrees||580 (99.82%)||630 (99.84%)||623 (99.35%)||717 (99.16%)|
|% of students passing from the institutes||92.34%||79.04%||82.44%||83.99%|
|Median Salary offered||INR 11.78 LPA||INR 13 LPA||INR 15.70 LPA||INR 14.20 LPA|
|Know more||Know More||Know More|
Read More: IIT Bombay Reviews
Ques. What are the facilities available at IIT Bombay?
Ans. The campus of the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay spreads across a massive area of 550 acres of land. The college is well known for providing students with the best campus life and several provisions to fulfill most requirements any student can face during their time at IIT Bombay:
- Central Library: This is one of the best IIT Libraries in the country with more than 2,40,000 books, along with 1,18,925 journals and other reading and reference material. The library is accessible to students, faculty, and staff and also provides a photocopying service.
- Hostel: There are a total of 17 hostels at the IIT Bombay campus for boys and girls. Students are provided with various facilities such as the internet, indoor games, sports, private mess, etc. Students are offered semi-furnished rooms.
- Health Center: IIT Bombay has its own dedicated hospital with OPD and qualified specialists. The hospital is equipped with many facilities and necessary services. The ambulance is also available on a 24x7 basis for emergencies.
Check: IIT Bombay Hostel
Ques. How is IIT Bombay?
Ans. IIT Bombay is ranked 3rd in the Engineering category by NIRF Ranking 2019, making is one of the best engineering colleges in the country with world-class faculty, quality of education, student life and other facilities in general. The college offers various undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs across many specializations. The college also has a huge campus and offers many provisions to its students including comfortable accommodation in hostels, access to one of the best IIT Libraries in India, sports facilities, extracurricular and cultural clubs and very importantly a great placement record. In the previous year’s placement session, more than 1180 students from undergraduate courses were placed at reputed companies and major organizations. 57 companies offered CTC packages of more than INR 16 LPA, followed by other high paying job offers. Overall IIT Bombay is a leading engineering college in India and is easily one of the best options for eligible candidates seeking admission.
Ques. What are the research opportunities available for UG and PG students at IIT Bombay?
Ans. There is a program called URA known as UG Research Awards. The only prerequisites for pursuing research as an undergraduate are a strong research area and the ability to manage the workload during that period of time. It gives the student a challenging opportunity to participate in research, and establish his/her research aptitude. It will also appear on his/her grade card as research experience. URA is essentially a recognition of the significant amount of research work done by undergraduate students as part of a project - which might be done under a BTP/DDP or as work under a professor outside the curriculum. All the students who have entered through JEE and have done significant research work under a professor can get a URA.There are 3 levels of URA:
- URA01 : for preliminary research/ developmental experience
- URA02 : for B. Tech. Level Research Project.
- URA03 : for Dual Degree Level Research Project
Ques. I do not have a B.E./B.Tech. degree in IE, OR or a related field. Can I still apply?
Ans. Yes, students from different backgrounds are accepted in the course through GATE entrance exams, written and test performance. While basic knowledge of topics in IEOR is necessary for admission, a formal degree or course work in this topic is not necessary.
Ques. Can I enroll in a part-time Ph.D. program at IIT Bombay?
Ans. The part-time Ph.D. course is open to admission to:
- College teachers in and around Mumbai
- IIT-B faculty/ staff
- IIT Project staff
- IIT Research Assistants
- External sponsored candidates from other organizations in and around Mumbai
Others not included in the list above must apply to a full-time course.
Ques. Is this whole year going to be online at IIT Bombay?
Ans. Autumn semester then the entire semester from August to December will definitely be conducted online. The next semester after this may as well be online, depending on the pandemic situation in the country.
Ques. I am an OBC NC candidate, but I do not have the latest OBC NC certificate. What should I do?
Ans. In absence of an OBC NC Certificate in the given format, you can apply with the Old certificate however, you MUST submit the new OBC NC Certificate at the time of admission if selected. In the absence of the new OBC NC certificate admission can be rescinded or canceled.
Ques. How to reach the IIT Bombay campus?
Ans. IIT Bombay has two traveling routes, via road and via airways:
- Railway Station: Mumbai Central (26 KM away)
- Airways: Chhatrapati Shivaji Airport (11 Km away)
Ques. Who are some of the notable alumni of IIT Bombay?
Ans. Some of the notable alumni of IIT Bombay are:
- Nandan Nilekani
- Indian entrepreneur and Co-founder of Infosys
- Manohar Gopalkrishna Prabhu Parrikar
- Indian politician and leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party
- Romesh T. Wadhwani
- Indian-American billionaire businessman, the founder, chairman, and CEO of Symphony Technology Group (STG)
- Pranav Mistry
- Computer Scientist, President, and CEO of STAR Labs