Pondicherry University is a central university, established in 1985. It offers Postgraduate and Doctoral level programs in regular mode as well as distance education programs. In addition to regular courses, the university also runs 26 Diploma / Certificate Add-On Courses in the evening session. Admission to all the courses is based on the entrance exam conducted by the university except for M.Sc. (Biotechnology). For M.Sc. Biotechnology, admission is done through JNU CEEB.
Pondicherry University Highlights
|Founded in ||October 16, 1985|
|Type of University||Central University|
|Accredited By||"A" GRADE BY NAAC|
|Programs Offered||P.G. and Doctoral program|
|Affiliated Colleges||97 +|
|Library||Books (Print) – 2,07,614|
E-journals, - 24,236
|Campuses||Karaikal and Port Blair|
|Situated on||Chennai-Puducherry East Coast Road (ECR)|
|How to Reach Us||165 km south of Chennai metropolitan city|
11 Km (25 minutes) north of Puducherry Bus Stand
Pondicherry University Admission
For admission into Master’s degree programs, candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree, whereas, in case of the integrated courses, the students should have passed 10+2 examination from a recognized board. The university conducts separate entrance exams for PG and Ph.D. programs. The entrance test is conducted through online mode only.
Pondicherry University PG Admission
The university offers MBA, M.Tech, MCA, MA, M.Sc., M.Com., M.Ed., M.LIS., MPA, MSW, M.P.Ed., LL.M, and PG diploma programs. The minimum eligibility for all the PG courses is that the candidates must have done a Bachelor’s degree in the relevant stream. Selection is done on the basis of marks obtained in the entrance exam. For more information and latest updates related to PG courses admission, kindly go through Pondicherry University PG Admissions
Pondicherry University Ph.D. Admission
Pondicherry University provides full-time and part-time Ph.D. programs in multiple streams. The minimum eligibility for the Ph.D. program is a Master’s degree with 55% marks. Selection is done through an entrance exam. Click here to check more details about Pondicherry University Ph.D. Admission
Pondicherry University Courses
The University offers the following academic programs to the students:
M.A. (Hindi/ Anthropology/ History/ Political Science/ Sociology/ English/ South Asian Studies/ Tamil)
M.Sc (Applied Geology/ Biotechnology/ Chemistry/ Computer Science/ Ecology & Environmental Studies/ Bioinformatics)
M.Tech (Computer Science & Engineering/ Environmental Engineering/ Green Energy Technology/ Nano Science & Technology)
MBA (Business Administration/ International Business/ Tourism/ Insurance Management/ Tourism)
M.Com (Business Finance/ Accounting & Taxation)
South Asian Studies
Green Energy Technology
Food Safety and Quality Assurance in Food Industry
Intellectual Property Rights
Pondicherry University Reservation
The University provides reservation for the following categories in accordance with the policies of the government:
- SC/ST Candidates: The University has reserved 15% of seats in each course for candidates belonging to the Scheduled Castes and 7.5% for those belonging to the Scheduled Tribes. All SC/ST candidates who have passed the qualifying examination are eligible to apply for admission irrespective of the percentage of marks obtained in the qualifying examination except otherwise specified.
- OBC Candidates: The Pondicherry University is implementing 27% reservation for OBC category (Non-Creamy Layer) as per Government of India instructions.
- Differently-abled Candidates: 5% of seats in each course are reserved for the differently-abled candidates. Each candidate shall be required to submit a certificate from a government hospital indicating the extent of physical disability. The candidates may have to undergo a fresh medical examination if required by the University before being admitted.
- Candidates from Union Territory: 25% of the seats are reserved for the Puducherry Union territory candidates.
- Candidates from Jammu & Kashmir: As per the instructions of UGC/AICTE, two seats under supernumerary quota have been created for admitting the students from the State of Jammu & Kashmir.
Pondicherry University Entrance Exam
Pondicherry University entrance exams are conducted to offer admission in PG/ Ph.D. courses. The registration process for PG/ Ph.D. regular courses generally commences from the first week of April and the entrance exams are conducted in the last week of May every year. Students seeking admission can log on to the official website in order to fill the Pondicherry University application form.
- The paper will consist of 100 Multiple Choice questions to be answered within a time duration of 120 minutes.
- 4 marks will be allotted for every correct answer while 1 mark will be deducted for each wrong answer
- Application forms can be submitted online through the university website by following the instructions given therein.
- Candidates can apply for more than one course with a separate application fee. Application fee of INR 250 (Rs. 125/- for SC/ST candidates) can be submitted through the online/ offline mode of payment.
Note: Pondicherry University entrance exam results are released on the official website within 15 days from the date of examination. Selected/ waitlist candidates can check their status and report to the concerned university department as per the admission schedule. Separate course-wise lists are issued by the University for PG and Ph.D. programs.
Pondicherry University Entrance Exam Results
Pondicherry University offers admission to PG and Ph.D. programs on the basis of entrance examination every year in the months of May and June which is known as Pondicherry University Entrance Examination. The university conducts entrance examination in 34 cities across India. Visit the official website of the university and login to the Online Admission Portal in order to check the result.
Pondicherry University Counselling Schedule
The university has conducted counseling in the last week of June after the declaration of the result. The interview schedule for the Ph.D. program commences in the month of July.
For PG Courses, selected/Waitlisted candidates need to report to the concerned Head of the department at 10 AM along with original certificates and documents mentioned below with the required fees.
Original and Xerox Documents required at the time of admission:
- SSC certificate/Mark statement for age proof
- HSC or its equivalent Certificate/Marks Statement
- Degree/ Provisional Certificate for
- OBC with Non- Creamy Layer certificate recently issued by Competent Authority, in case of OBC candidate
- Recently issued SC/ST/PH/Pondicherry Residence certificate/Karaikal Residence Certificate from the competent authority as applicable
- Migration/Transfer Certificate and Conduct Certificate from the institution last attended
- Two stamp size color photograph (For Group Medical Insurance Policy)
- Soft copy of color passport size photograph in a CD (for Library and ID Card)
Pondicherry University Scholarship
Below mentioned are some of the scholarships/freeships offered by the University:
- Ph.D. Non-Net Fellowship-UGC: Scholars admitted to full-time Ph.D. programs are eligible for a fellowship of 8,000 INR per month and a contingencies grant per year.
- Merit Scholarship: The first three candidates securing the highest percentage in PG entrance exam shall be awarded 2,000 INR; 1,500 INR and 1,000 INR respectively for the first semester.
- Merit-cum-Means Scholarship: 20% of students in each PG degree are eligible for the award. The scholarship is based both on the basis of merit in each semester and parental income of the student. Amount of scholarship is 750 INR per month.
- Scholarship for M.Sc Marine Biology and Disaster Management: All selected candidates will be awarded a scholarship of 1,000 INR per month to study these courses at Port Blair, Andamans.
Scholarship/Freeship provided by other agencies:
- N.B.H.M. Scholarship: The National Board for Higher Mathematics, Mumbai provides scholarship for students who clear NBHM examination.
- Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child: This scholarship is provided by the University Grants Commission (UGC) for single girl child pursuing any of the PG programs.
- Madanjeet Singh Group Scholarship: This scholarship is provided to 8 students every year to pursue M.Tech in Green Energy Technology. 16 students from M.A. (South Asian Studies) from SAARC countries are provided with 10,000 INR per month, free hostel accommodation and tuition fees.
Pondicherry University Distance Education
The University has entered in the field of Distance Education in the academic year 1995 – 96 to cater to the aspirations of the students who otherwise could not pursue higher education through the on-campus mode of education. To reach out to all those students who are away from the mainstream academics, the university has conceived several innovative and job oriented academic programs. It offers MA, M.Com, and MBA programs through distance education mode.
Also, Check Pondicherry University Distance Education