Punjab Agricultural University was founded in the year of 1962. It is located in Ludhiana City which is situated 316 Km distance from New Delhi. The main objective of the university is to serve the erstwhile Punjab.
- The university plays an important role in increase of the production of food grains in the state of Punjab and earns reputation in the green revolution in India.
- For its continuous contribution in the agricultural field, Punjab Agricultural University was declared as the best Agricultural University in India in the year 1995.
- The University has four colleges under its regulation. Those are:
- College of Agriculture
- College of Agricultural Engineering
- College of Home Science
- College OF Basic Sciences and Humanities
The University has several departments concerning agricultural subjects. Students from all agricultural subjects can study under the university. To enter in this university, they have to go through an entrance test. Qualified students will get green signal to study here.
Under the university, there are some research centers for the agricultural researchers and the students of Masters’ Degree. Those centers are:
- Main Research Center, Punjab Agriculture University, Ludhiana
- Regional station for research, Gurdaspur
- Regional Research Center, Faridkot
- Regional Research Station, Bhatinda
- Regional center for fruit research, Abohar, Ferozepur
- Sub Station for fruit research, Gangia, Hoshiarpur
- Sub Station For Fruit research, Patiala
Therefore it is clear that Punjab Agricultural University is one of the finest universities in Asia in agricultural science.
- Students from different edge of the nation come here to get admission in the university.
- Even students from abroad also come to this university for more study and research works in agricultural fields.
- The professors and staffs of this university are expert and have years of experience in this field.
Punjab Agricultural University is especially famous for its master degree in agricultural fields. Here is a list of departments available in the university:
- Extension Education
- Food Science and technology
- Floriculture and Landscaping
- Forestry and natural resource
- Plant Breeding and Genetics
- Plant Pathology
- Vegetable Crops
- Agricultural Meteorology
- School of Agril. Bio Technology
The admission process to this university is a bit different.
- Firstly the students have to fill up the form.
- The university will sort out the names of the students according to eligibility criteria written by them in the form.
- Then the selected students will have to appear in an admission test.
- Those who can crack the admission test will be welcomed to the university after a short discussion session with each of them.
- Once they are in the university, they will get all types of facilities regarding their studies.
- The environment of the classes is perfect for studying seriously. So once a student gets in to the university, he or she will have a bright future in hand.
Hostel: The University authority provides hostel facility for its students. The rooms are air conditioned, well furnished with attached bathrooms. Hostel facility is also available differently for single and married students. Even for family members of the students, the university also arranges guest house inside the main campus.
Library: The university library is filled with thousands of books. In the year 1959 the college library starts with just 200 books. Now it has grown up and made a huge collection of books for the agricultural students. Apart from that the library also has lots of periodicals regarding agricultural subjects. It has now become a 5 storied building. Also the library has computers with internet connections in them. Therefore if a student needs more information, he or she can surf internet in the library too. The rooms are totally air conditioned and have an environment for the students to study in peace.
E-documents (Books and Theses)
Laboratory: The laboratories of the universities are well maintained and well equipped for the research students. They get all types of gadgets for research works in the laboratories. Labs are all air conditioned so that the students get more comfort while working. Electron microscopy and nano-science laboratories of the universities are the most upgraded ones with all latest equipments in it.
Uppal Museum: one of the finest attractions of the university is the Uppal Museum. This museum has been established under the leadership of Dr. H. L. Uppal in the year 1986. Numbers of specimens and models regarding agricultural science are showcased in the Uppal museum.
Extra Curricular Activities :
Apart from research and study regarding agricultural services, Punjab Agricultural University has some extra curriculum activities for its students; so that they can have some recreations by coming out from their daily study life. Here is a list of the extra curriculum activities arranged by the university authority:
- Directorate of students welfare
- Placement cell
- Anti ragging committee
- Students Home
- Cultural committee
- Sports and adventure cell
- Punjab Agricultural University has been acclaimed as the finest agricultural university in whole Asia.
- It also has achieved distinguished status at national as well as international levels.
- It has played an important role in the Green Revolution in India.