I.K.Gujral Punjab Technical University (IKGPTU) is a state technical university that was established in 1997. It was formerly known as Punjab Technical University. The university has 148 AICTE and 85 UGC institutes affiliated with it. It has ranked at 96th position in the overall ranking of NIRF 2019. It offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs in different streams in regular as well as distance education mode. Admission to these courses is done on the basis of national level examination namely JEE Main, GATE and GPAT.
IK Gujral University follows the academic curriculum which is divided into two semesters i.e. Odd and Even semester. The results of the term-end examination are declared in the month of January (Odd Semester) and in the month of June (Even Semester). The University releases the result of regular and distance education program (DEP) on its web-portal separately. The notification regarding the declaration of the result is published on the university’s website. Know more PTU Results
|Type of Programs||UG and PG|
|Entrance Exam||JEE Main, GATE, GPAT|
|Application Mode ||Online|
PTU offers a variety of courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Mentioned below are the details for the same:
|B.Tech.||Civil Engineering||Intermediate Graduate (OR) Three-year of Diploma with Mathematics (OR) IB Diploma with 50% marks in aggregate|
|Computer Science and Engineering|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering|
|B.Tech.(Lateral)||Electronics & Communication Engineering||Three-year Diploma Course in Mechanical/Marine/Electrical/Electrical and Electronics with a minimum of 45% of aggregate marks.|
|Computer Science and Engineering|
|B.Pharm.||-||Diploma in Pharmacy (OR) 10+2 examination with Physics & Chemistry as compulsory subject with 45% marks|
|B.Pharm.(Lateral)||-||Passed three-year Diploma Courses in Pharmacy from any University |
|M.Sc.||Chemistry||Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline with not less than 50% marks.|
|Food Science and Technology|
|M.Tech.||Computer Science and Engineering||B.E./B.Tech Degree in relevant discipline with not less than 50% marks.|
|Power System Engineering|
|Wireless Communication Technology|
|M.Arch.||-||B.Arch. Degree with not less than 50% marks.|
|M.A.||Journalism and Mass Communication||Bachelor’s Degree with not less than 50% marks.|
|MBA||Finance||Graduation/bachelor’s degree obtained through the 10+2+3 system with a minimum aggregate of 50% |
|Human Resource Management|
|MCA (Lateral)||-||Bachelor’s Degree of minimum three-year duration in BCA, B.Sc.(IT/Computer Science) with Mathematics as a course at 10+2 level with a minimum aggregate of 50% |
Also, Check PTU Fees Structure
The University provides admission on the basis of a valid score of national level entrance examinations. Merit list will be prepared on the basis of marks secured by candidates in the entrance test. Admissions to all the courses are carried out strictly on the merit of entrance test basis either through Centralized Counselling Procedure or through the Institute level.
Following are the reserved categories as per the University norms:
- 70% of seats are meant for rural area candidates.
- 1% seat is reserved for Tsunami affected persons
- 1 seat is reserved for Kashmiri Migrants
- 2 seats are reserved for supernumerary seats for Kashmir Migrants
International Students Admission
The University also provides admission to NRI/ PIO/ Foreign Nationals on the basis of merit scored in the last qualifying exam. Interested candidates can contact the International Students Facilitation Cell of the University or the Principal of the concerned college.
Check here PTU Admissions
The University offers a number of schemes for meritorious and SC/ST students under various categories. It also offers various freeships schemes for needy and deserving students. Following are the details for the same:
- Post Metric Scholarship Scheme for SC/ST/OBC candidates
- The university also offers free ship scheme for students who come from economically weaker sections (EWS).
- It also offers various scholarship schemes like GATE Scholarship, JRF & SRF Scholarships, UGC/Net Schemes & Scholarships, Research Grants, Research and Development projects.
- Guru Harkrishan Educational society scholarship scheme.
- Maulana Azad National Scholarship Scheme for Meritorious Girl Students belonging to Minorities.
PTU Awards and Ranking
- University has been awarded as the “Best University Promoting High-Quality Research at Master’s and Doctoral Thesis Work” category in the CCI Technology Education Excellence Awards 2013.
- eINDlA 2010 Award of the Year as “ICT Enabled University of the Year” and “Open and Distance Learning Initiative of the Year Award” by the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology, Govt. of India.
- Best Technical University Award for the year 2013 by the Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE).
- State-of-the-art laboratories and air-conditioned classrooms.
- State-of-art sports facilities.
- Modern cafeteria & central library.
- Transportation facilities.
- Academic support to approx. 1.5 lakhs (including 1,500 plus international students from 30 plus countries) students enrolled in 186 affiliated institutes/colleges.
- Access to e-journals in different subjects.