Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology (TIET) has been accredited with grade’ A+’ by NAAC and has been ranked 20th amongst the top 100 engineering institutions of India. It has 6 schools, 8 departments and 8 centers offering various undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs. The TIET centers are there for the academic requirements of the University. Admission to the courses is done on the basis of merit scored in previous qualifying examinations. The University also accepts scores of management national level exams like GMAT, CAT, XAT, CMAT, etc.
Check: Thapar University Admissions
Thapar University Highlights
|Type of University||Deemed-to-be University|
|Campus Area||250 acres|
|Accreditations and Affiliations||NAAC, ABET, AICTE, NBA|
|Type of Programs||UG, PG, and Doctoral|
|Admission Criteria||Merit and Entrance Based|
|Total number of Students | Faculty | Alumni||8500+ | 307 | 24000|
|International Linkages||Trinity College, Dublin|
|The University of Waterloo|
Thapar University Ranking
- 132nd position in QS Brics University Ranking 2019
- 31st position in QS India University Ranking 2019
- Ranked 20th in NIRF 2019 (Engineering Category)
- Ranked 2nd among Private Engineering colleges by NIRF 2019
- Ranked 27th in NIRF 2019 (University Category)
- Ranked joint 22nd within India by the Times Higher Education Rankings 2019
- 801-1000 among 1102 institutions by the Times Higher Education Rankings 2019
- 4th in Private and deemed technical universities by The Week, 2018
- Ranked 10th among Best Engineering Colleges in 2017
Thapar University Courses
TIET offers academic programs at the undergraduate level leading to BE/BTech degree, at the postgraduate level leading to MCA, MBA, ME, MTech, M.A. Psychology and Integrated BE-MBA degrees and at the doctoral level, Ph.D. degrees. The institute also offers some courses with the collaboration of international institutions to offer world-class education programs.
|Course Name||Eligibility||Selection Criteria|
|B.Tech||Intermediate graduate with 60% marks (55% for SC/ST candidates)||JEE Main or Merit-based|
|M.Sc.||Bachelor’s degree in the science stream with 60% (55% for SC/ST) marks in aggregate with the relevant subject||Merit-based on marks of Class 12thand graduation|
|MCA||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with 60% marks (55% for SC/ST) in aggregate with Mathematics as one of the subjects in Class 12||Merit of the entrance test conducted at University level|
|M.E||Graduation with at least 60% (55% for SC/ST) marks in aggregate ||GATE Followed by an interview|
|M.A Psychology||Bachelor in Psychology/B.Tech. with 55% marks in aggregate and with Psychology as one of the subjects (50% for SC/ST)||Merit-based on marks of Class 12thand graduation|
|MBA||Graduation/post-graduation in any discipline with 50% marks||CAT/MAT/XAT/NMAT/ CMAT/GMAT + GD + Interview|
|Ph.D.||Master’s degree in relevant discipline with 55% marks OR qualified NET (UGC/CSIR) ||Entrance exam conducted at the university level|
Check: Thapar University Courses & Fees
Note: The university also provides a TCD course. It’s a 4-years undergraduate credit transfer International Engineering program which focuses on delivering a research-inspired, outcome-based educational experience. In this course, students spend the first two years at the campus in Patiala, and 3rd and 4th year at the Trinity College Dublin.
Thapar University Admissions
Eligible candidates can apply for admission to the University through the official website of the university. Fill the complete details and then take the print out of the form as it will be required at the time of document checking during counseling. In case, the application fee is paid through DD then the application form along with DD should reach the “In-charge Admission Cell” Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala – 147004 on or before the last date. In the case of offline payment, challan facility is also available.
Read more: Thapar University Admission
Tabulated below are the reservation criteria of the University:
|Categories||% of reservations||Total seats|
|SC/ST from Punjab||25%||197|
|SC from other states||17.5%||138|
|ST from other states||7.5%||59|
|Backward class from Punjab||5%||39|
|Physically handicapped ||6%||48|
|Sportsperson from Punjab||2%||16|
|Foreign Nationals/ NRI||15%||236|
Thapar University Scholarships
Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology offers scholarships under many categories. Each course has each merit scholarships for the students who are partaking admission in the institute. TIET offers a total of 75 scholarships to deserving and meritorious students. Other organizations like Indian Oil, Vimlasons Charitable Foundation, A.C.Khanna-Balraj Chexal, Government of various states also offer scholarships to the students of the University.
Know more: Thapar University Scholarships
Thapar University Placements
TIET has a placement cell to conduct placement drives for graduating students for all branches. Recruiting companies from the Public sector to Private organizations come to TIET for placements.
|Year of Placements||Companies Visiting||Total Students Placed||Total Offers|
Read more: Thapar University Placements
Thapar University Facilities
Given below are some of the facilities offered by the university to cater to the needs of the students:
- Library: The central library of the university has a collection of more than 89,746 books. It also has various e-books, journals, magazines, newspapers for the students’ references. It is housed in an air-conditioned area of 25,000 square feet. It remains open 24x7 throughout the year, even on gazette holidays. The services at the library are fully automated with a modern web-based library management system.
- Hostels: The University provides accommodation facilities to the students with advanced amenities. There is a high-speed internet connection in each block for students. There are 8 hostels for boys and 5 hostels for girls studying in the University.
- Medical Facilities: The Institute has well-equipped health care facilities for the students. It also provides round the clock service of the health center and ambulance for all the students and staff.
Click here: Thapar University Hostel
About Thapar University
Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology is known to be one of the oldest and finest educational institutes of India. It was established in 1956 and has a campus area of 250 acres located in Patiala. TIET is located in Patiala and known to be a pioneer in Engineering education, research, and innovation. The alumni have stood out in varied fields such as business and industry, administrative and regulatory services, research and education, and social and human rights organizations.
Thapar University Faculty
Listed below is a brief about the faculty members at the university:
Dr. Dilbagh Singh Broca
- Qualifications: B.Com, MBA, M.A.Sc, and Ph.D.
- Recognitions: University teaching experience, conducted 65 workshops, and served as a group leader
Prof. B. Sreekumar Pillai
- Qualifications: BA (Chemistry), MBA, and Ph.D.
- Achievements: Invited as a member of the Judging Panel for “Digital Marketing” in The Netherlands; Member of the Jury for selection of the Best Retailer of the Year
Dr. Amjad Ali
- Qualifications: B.Sc, M.Sc, and Ph.D.
- Awards: Research Assistantship from IIT Bombay; SRF from IIT Bombay; Qualified GATE with 93.6%
Dr. Bonamali Pal
- Qualifications: M.Sc and Ph.D.
- Awards: Young Scientist Award; Monbusho Fellowship; Performance Incentive Awards
Dr. (Ms) Kiran Ravi
- Qualifications: B.A. (Hons) English; MA; M.Phil Economics; Ph.D.
- Awards: Best Paper Award in Singapore
Know more: Thapar University Faculty