Sikkim University is a central university located in the capital city of Sikkim – Gangtok. The university was established in 2006. The University has been accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Banglore in 2005 and accorded grade ‘B’. It provides UG, PG and doctoral courses. The entrance required for this university is the Central Admission Test (CAT). For MBA Program, the university accepts the score of CAT/MAT/CMAT entrance exam.
Sikkim University Highlights
|University type||Central University|
|Recognition||University Grants Commission (UGC)|
|Accreditations||National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC)|
|How to Reach||The campus is located at Yangang in South Sikkim, Nearest Railway Station is New Jalpaiguri, Nearest Airport is Bagdogra|
Sikkim University Courses
The University offers a number of 5 Undergraduate, 32 Postgraduate and 28 M.Phil/Ph.D. programs with different specializations. A brief about the same is tabulated below:
|Schools||Program | Duration||Eligibility||Fee Structure (INR)|
|School of Humanities||BA English | 3 yrs||Std 12 or equivalent||6000|
|BA Hindi | 3 yrs||Std 12 or equivalent|
|MA English | 2 yrs||BA English||11000|
|MA Hindi | 2 yrs||BA Hindi|
|MA Eco | 2 yrs||Any Degree|
|BA Eco | 3 yrs||Std 12 or equivalent||6000|
|BA Geography | 3 yrs||Std 12 or equivalent|
|MA History | 2 yrs||Any Degree||11000|
|School of Social Science||BA History | 3 yrs||Std 12 or equivalent||6000|
|MA Sociology | 2 yrs||Any Degree||11000|
|BA Sociology | 3 yrs||Std 12 or equivalent||6000|
|MA Pub Admin | 2 yrs||Any Degree||12000|
|BA Pub Admin | 3 yrs||Std 12 or equivalent||6500|
|BA Journalism and Mass Comm. | 3 yrs||Std 12 or equivalent||6000|
|School of Commerce & Management||MBA Finance | 2 yrs||Any Degree||25000|
|MBA HRM | 2 yrs||Any Degree|
|MBA MM | 2 yrs||Any Degree|
|MBA SYS | 2 yrs||Any Degree|
|B.Com | 3 yrs||Std 12 or equivalent||6500|
|M.Com | 2 yrs||B.Com||10500|
|School of Computer Science & IT|
|BLIS | 3 yrs||Any Degree||9000|
|MLIS | 2 yrs||BLIS||16000|
|MCA | 3 yrs||Any Degree||25000|
|School of Education|
|BA | 3 yrs||Std. 12 or equivalent||8000|
|MA | 2 yrs||Any Degree||12000|
Also, Check Sikkim University Fee Structure
Sikkim University: Admission Procedure
Before applying for any of the programs mentioned above, it is necessary to go through the eligibility criteria.
- Undergraduate Programs: Minimum 45% marks in class 12.
- Postgraduate Programs: A graduation degree with min. 50% marks from a well-recognized university. For MBA, CAT and MAT scores are considered followed by personal interview and Group discussion.
- Doctoral Programs (Ph.D. & M.Phil.): For this, you have to appear for the written test and interview conducted by the Sikkim University.
- Fill the application form available on the website of the college.
- Pay the application fee (INR 1000 for General/OBC and INR 500 for SC/ST/PwD) via online mode (Debit/Credit Card).
- Qualify Central Admission Test (CAT) with 50%.
- The shortlisting will be done on the basis of marks secured in the test.
Mandatory Documents required at the time of Admission:
- Original Mark-sheet (s) of all examinations / all years with one self-attested photocopy (both sides) of each.
- Original certificate of proof of age and a self-attested copy of the same.
- Original SC/ST/OBC/PWD certificates together with one self-attested copy.
Read More Sikkim University Admission
Sikkim University Placements
A brief about the placements offered by the university is given below:
Management and Business Administration (MBA)
Median Package – 2.50 Lakhs
Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences (MA)
Median Package – 2 Lakhs
Click here Sikkim University Placement
Sikkim University Scholarships
The University provides only a single scholarship: Merit–cum –Means Scholarship
- Sikkim University offers Merit-cum-Means scholarships for the students enrolled in the departments in various programs.
- Following Scholarships / Fellowships are available under this scheme: Fellowship: INR 3000 per month. Freeship: Full tuition and laboratory fee waiver. Half Freeship: 50 % tuition fee and laboratory fee waive
- Students with an average family income of less than INR 60,000 per annum and receiving no other scholarship / financial assistance from any other sources are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Nar Bahadur Bhandri Degree College
- Naamchi Government College
- Sikkim Government B.Ed College
- Sikkim Government College, East Sikkim
- Damber Singh College
- Harkamaya College of Education
- Sikkim Government Law College
- Government College Rhenock
- Sikkim Government College, West Sikkim
- Loyala College of Education
- Himalayan Pharmacy Institute
- Sikkim Govt. Science College
- Government Vocational College
- Namgyal Institute of tibetology
- Sikkim Institute of Science and Technology
- Government Pharmacy College
- Sikkim Government College of Nursing
Sikkim University Facilities
- 4 Boy’s Hostel – Rangeet Beas (47 students), Tendong (27 students) Teesta (75 students) and Dzongri (30 students)
- 4 Girl’s Hostel – Rangeet (56 students), Talung (41 students), Pandim (19 students) and Raap Jyor Cauveri (130 students)
- Occupying an area of 9,000+ sq ft
- A rich collection of 70,000+ Books including 1178 Braille Books
- Subscription of 208 Print journals, 21 Newspapers, 10 Magazines, 7000 E-resources from SciFinder, India Stat and other online consortiums
- Internet-enabled PCs & Wi-Fi at 1Gbps, RFID tagging of Books