The Gandhigram Rural Institute is one of the oldest and finest institutes in the country. It was founded for a reason to provide training to the people of the country to be self-dependent. It is the A Grade University that has been reaccredited by NAAC. the university is fully funded by MHRD.
- The institute was established in the year of 1956. But Gandhigram was developed in the year of 1947 by a Dr.T.S.Soundaram and Dr.G.Ramachandran and their team. They were disciples of Gandhiji and the village developed by them has become a home for several development programmes for rural India.
- The Institute has a beautiful campus sprawled out over an area of 200 acres.
- The institute provides academic programmes in Rural Development, Rural Economics and Extension Education, Rural Oriented Sciences, Cooperation, Development Administration, Rural Sociology, English and Communicative Studies, and, Tamil and Indian Languages.
- The institute helps people to get their livelihood by participating in several governmental and non-governmental schemes.
- Initially, the institute was focused on teaching but later on, research work and extension in courses took place. Teaching, research course extension has become the three-dimensional approach of the institute and it became very much successful.
- In the year of 1976, on 3rd August, the university received the status of a Deemed to be University by The Government of India (Ministry of Education). The University Grants Commission has recommended for the same. The institute had got this status under Section (3) of the UGC Act of 1956.
Currently, the university has become one of the premier universities in the nation. It has managed to attract students from both India and outside India. Currently, the university has become one of the premier universities in the nation. It has managed to attract students from both India and outside India.The institute offers fifty different programmes. The university offers Doctoral, Master’s, Bachelor’s, Diplomas and Certificate course in seven distinct academic faculties.
Men’s hostel is for Research Scholars’ Hostel and Women’s hostel is for Working Women’s Hostel. Women MPhil and Ph.D. scholars cab are accommodated in the working women’s hostel on the campus. Only veg food is provided in the mess.
The library is giving its service since 1956 with a stock of over 1.5 lakh books.