Updated On - April 24th 2019
Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy, known as SASTRA University, is a private university in the town of Thirumalaisamudram, Thanjavur district, Tamil Nadu, India. It was established in 1984 in the form of Shanmugha College of Engineering which is now renamed, Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy [SASTRA]. The university offers undergraduate, postgraduate and research courses in multiple streams such as Engineering, Science, Education, Management and Arts. SASTRA has state-of-the-art laboratories, a well-stocked library, and best computing facilities.
SASTRA University Admission is based on the marks obtained in the last qualifying examination. In case of B.Tech, M.Tech and Law courses, scores obtained in national level examinations such as JEE Mains, GATE and CLAT respectively, are also considered for admission. It has carved a niche for itself as a Centre for fostering and developing the body, mind, and spirit of its students. SASTRA is totally committed to this three-fold flowering of the students entrusted to its care.
Deemed to be University
NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council)
30,00,000 square feet
Online (Pen and paper based)
Tirumalaisamudram Thanjavur Tamil Nadu
SASTRA University Courses
SASTRA University offers various undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Science, Engineering, Management, Education, Law and Arts besides various Doctoral programs. The duration of UG and PG courses is different. Applicants are suggested to check SASTRA University Fee Structure before applying for the programs.
SASTRA University Admission
SASTRA University UG Admission
- SASTRA University offers various courses at undergraduate level. The list of UG courses is consists of B. Tech, B.Com, BBA, B.Sc. and integrated courses. It also provides law courses namely B.A., LL.B (Hons.), B.Com, LL.B (Hons.) and B.B.A., LL.B (Hons.).
- Candidates wishing to apply for UG courses should have passed class 12 with minimum 50% marks from a recognized board.
- The application form is available on the official website of university. Eligible candidate is required to download the form and duly filled application form along with all the required documents send it to the prescribed address.
- The selection is done on the basis of marks obtained in last qualifying examination. For admission to B.Tech program, university accepts a valid score of JEE Main Exam.
- For admission to Law courses, applicants must qualify CLAT Exam with a valid score.
SASTRA University PG Admission
- There are five different courses at postgraduate level namely- M.Tech, M.Sc., MBA, MCA and M.Com offered by SASTRA University.
- Applicants having graduation degree in relevant discipline with at least 50% marks from a well-recognized university or institute are eligible to apply for PG courses.
- Admission to PG courses is based on marks obtained in last qualifying degree. Shortlisted candidates on the basis of their marks are considered for admission.
- Those who wish to apply for admission to M.Tech program must qualify GATE Exam with valid score.
SASTRA University Ph.D. Admission
- SASTRA University provides Doctoral and Fellowship programs in the field of Engineering/ Technology, Arts/ Science, Management, Education and Law.
- The minimum eligibility to apply for Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) program at SASTRA University is PG degree in relevant discipline with minimum 50% marks.
- The admission criteria are same as UG, PG courses are merit of last qualifying examination.
Read more about SASTRA University Admission
SASTRA University Entrance Exams
Joint Entrance Exam Main (JEE Main) is a national level exam conducted in both online/ offline modes. The exam is conducted by CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) for admission to B.E./B.Tech & B.Arch courses. The minimum Eligibility for JEE Main is class 12 with minimum of 45% marks. JEE Main Application Form can be filled in either online or offline. Qualified candidates with a valid JEE score can apply for B.Tech program at SASTRA University.
Also, Check JEE Main Exam Pattern
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is a national level test which is conducted for admission to M.Tech/ Ph.D. and other Government Scholarships/Assistantships in the field of engineering and technology. GATE Registration is done through online mode, interested candidates can submit the application form on the official website of exam i.e. www.gate.iitg.ac.in.
Read more about GATE Syllabus
Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is a national level entrance exam organized rotationally by 18 NLUs (National Law University). It is conducted to grant admissions to LLB and LLM courses offered at various law universities in India. CLAT Registration is done in online mode
Click here to know CLAT Exam Pattern
SASTRA University Facilities
Research & Development
SASTRA has been recognized as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), Government of India. Currently, SASTRA is engaged in research for various agencies like AYUSH, CSIR, CMRI, DBT, DRDL, DRDO, ISRO, DST, ICMR, etc.
DAKSH, the international techno-management festival, is an annual event comprising of a myriad of events involving all trades of engineering. Having started in 2007, DAKSH is running into its eighth edition now. DAKSH presents an opportunity to students from across the globe to display their techno-managerial skills while participating in a plethora of exciting events, assorted workshops, excellent power talks and social responsibility campaigns that are conducted over a period of three days in the month of February.
BIOTIKOS: While the old and fundamental sciences are being literally “researched” to pull out more and more facts and understand them in tremendous detail, there exists a section of research that concentrates on how to apply the results of the former to improve the quality of life on earth. BIOTIKOS activities happen year-round. It has the weekly TECH-FORUM sessions that serve as an excellent mode of interaction between the juniors & seniors.
National Cadet Corps (NCC): NCC Organization - In view of the changing socio-economic environment, an exercise was undertaken by the Ministry of Defence to make aims of NCC in tune with the aspirations of the youth. Training Camps - NCC organizes training camps for students in rural and urban areas. Students who have not got the opportunity for community living, enjoy these camps the most.
- Prime Minister's Rally
- Annual Training Camp
- National Integration Camp
- Centrally Organized Camp
- Republic Day Camp
- Flag Hoisting Ceremony
Clubs & Activities
The various Student's Clubs of SASTRA - Literary Club, Auto Club, Oratory and Debating Club, JAM Club, Fine Arts Club, Quiz Club, etc. conduct weekly meetings to bring out and develop the talents of the students. These clubs have helped SASTRA secure honors in various inter-college cultural competitions like SAARANG, FESTEMBER, RIVERA, etc.DAKSH & KURUKSHETRA are SASTRA's National Level Annual Technical and Cultural festivals respectively and is conducted by the various student clubs.COLOSSEUM & FUERA are SASTRA's inter and intra college sports competitions.
Saraswathi Sadan, the library of the university is an architectural elegance over an area of about 47,000 sq ft with modern study area, audio-visual room, internet and reprographic facilities.
- Saraswathi Sadan contains over 1,02,600 books valued at Rs 5.29 crores, the library subscribes to 290 journals and magazines related to Engineering, Management, Legal etc.
- 11,000 scientific, technical & management journals and over 12,000 ASTM standards.
- The online databases like Scopus and MathSciNet provide access to bibliographic information from over 26,000 journals.
- It also subscribes to PROQUEST Digital Dissertation database which provides full-text access to over 17,00,000 Ph.D. thesis and dissertations.
- SASTRA University Library has purchased over 18,000 Springer e-books from the various subject collections of the copyright year between 2005 and 2012.
- The Library also subscribes to eBrary which provides access over 73,000 full-text books.
There are 9 boys hostel and 6 girls hostels providing accommodation to over 4000 boys and 2400 girls.
The hostels provide amenities for living, dining, and recreation that makes each inmate feel at home. They provide a right atmosphere for intellectual stimulation and balanced growth.