Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) is an agricultural university located in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India and was established in the year 1971. The University is one of the best universities in India to provide high-quality agriculture education. TNAU offers Admissionto various programs through different campuses situated at Coimbatore, Trichy, Madurai, Mettupalayam and Periyakulam. Its substantial role in offering agricultural education is made possible through the eleven component colleges and six Affiliated Colleges.
- The TNAU had begun as an Agricultural School at Saidapet in Chennai in 1876 and blossomed as a College in Coimbatore, during 1906
- In 1920, the college was affiliated to the University of Madras with the introduction of a three-year degree program
- Till 1946, the Agricultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore was the only institute for agricultural education for the whole of South India, It was established in 1971
- TNAU has 36 Research Centers for agrotechnology development and 14 Farm Science Centers for outreach
- The University is offering 13 Undergraduate Degree Programs, 29 Postgraduate Degree Programs and 26 Doctoral Programs in 14 Colleges distributed in 11 campuses all over Tamil Nadu.
TNAU Courses and Admission
TNAU offers several programs at the Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Research level namely, B.Tech, B.Sc., M.Tech, M.Sc., MBA and Ph.D.
B.Tech and B.Sc. Course Eligibility
A four-year B.Tech program is offered to the candidates in five specializations and three-year B.Sc. program is offered in five specializations. The basic criteria to apply is 10+2 with minimum 60% marks in the relevant stream from a recognized board. Admission to B.Sc. and B.Tech courses is entirely based on merit, no entrance test will be conducted for the same.
M.Tech and M.Sc. Course Eligibility
The university offers M.Sc. and M.Tech program of two-years duration in several specializations along with MBA program at the Postgraduate level. Admission to PG program will be on the basis of Entrance Test conducted by the University. The students who are shortlisted are further called for the group discussion round.
Ph.D. Course Eligibility
TNAU offers a Ph.D. program in several specializations to the candidates. The criteria to apply is Masters with 60% marks from a recognized University/ Institute. Selection will be on the basis of University Entrance exam.
Click here to check TNAU Course and Fees Structure
- Internationally, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University was ranked 105 among BRICS nations by the QS World University Rankings of 2018.
- NIRF ranked Tamil Nadu Agricultural University 28 overall in India and 17 among universities in India in 2017.
Fee Waiver Scheme: The State Government has started a fee waiver scheme to help the economically poor but meritorious students.
Education Loans: Education loans are available to the needy and deserving students from the Nationalized Banks at reasonable rates of interest. Thesis loans are repayable after the completion of the degree/ diploma.
Financial Help: Relaxation in tuition fee is given to merit position holders in the qualifying examinations/ competitive examinations and position holders in the University examinations.