Tripura University was the first university to offer higher education. Government took the initiative to pass the Tripura university act on the 2nd of October 1987. Thus, this university was established on the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation. Tripura University was converted to a Central University w.e.f 2nd July, 2007 by an Act of the Parliament.
Tripura University Highlights
University Grants Commission
Number of Affiliated Colleges
National Assessment and Accreditation Council
How to Reach
9 km away from the Agartala town
20 km away from Agartala Airport (Singerbill Airport)
Tripura University Admission
Tripura University Admissions are based on candidates performance in TUET (Tripura University Entrance Test). For admission to Ph.D. program candidates need to appear for Research Eligibility Test (RET). Tripura University Entrance Exam is a step for admission to programs in streams like Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering, Arts (Fine/ Visual/Performing), Business & Management Studies, IT & Software, and Law. It is a 2-hour test with consisting of 50 questions of 2 marks each. The questions will be Multiple Choice types. The exam is divided into 2 sections namely Analytical and Derivative.
Tripura University Courses
University offers various degree level of courses such as Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Doctoral. Check Tripura University Courses & Fees
- Undergraduate Courses are offered in 2 courses such as B.Voc. program in Rubber Technology and B.Voc. in Film and Video Production. A candidate must pass 10+2 or equivalent examination in science stream.
- Postgraduate Courses offers Master of Arts in 15 different fields of specialization such as Hindi, History etc, Master of Science is offered in 11 different fields and Master of Technology is offered in 5 fields namely Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Material Science and Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering and Chemical and Polymer Engineering. Other PG Level programs offered are:
- Master of Commerce
- Master of Pharmacy
- Master of Computer Application
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Law
- Master in Fine Arts
- Master in Music
- Master in Library and Information Science
- Doctoral Course offered in Ph.D. in 34 different subjects and admission to Ph.D. course is based on candidates performance in Research Eligibility Test (RET).
Tripura University Distance Education
Directorate of Distance Education was established in 1996 to impart higher education through the distance mode with a multi-media approach. Tripura University Distance Education is approved by UGC and Distance Education Council, New Delhi. Basically, 8 courses are offered in distance mode:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Education
- Master of Arts in Education
- Master of Arts in Political Science
- Master of Arts in Bengali
- DCA (Diploma in Computer Applications)