Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur is one of the 1st generation IITs of the country. IIT Kanpur is known for its Engineering courses and ranks at #6 by NIRF in 2020 among top Engineering colleges of India. The reason being IIT Kanpur’s 100% Phd holding faculty, 1:12 faculty-student ratio, 95.89% graduation rate and 93.17% placement rate in 2020.
IIT Kanpur admission to B.Tech is based on JEE Advanced followed by JoSAA counselling. The cutoff for the popular B.Tech specialization in Computer Science & Engineering recorded a fall in the closing 2020 rank (239) from 219 closing rank in 2019.
IIT Kanpur Admission 2021 Updates:
- IIT Kanpur M.Tech Admission 2021 begins. Eligible candidates can visit the official website to apply till April 15, 2021.
- IIT Kanpur MBA Admission Window is open till April 15, 2021. Candidates can submit the application till the deadline for admission.
IIT Kanpur Admission 2021 Registration: Scheduled to begin for all its courses from July 28. The applications with late fee would be accepted till Aug 5.
IIT Kanpur at present has 5000+ students enrolled in its different courses across all years. In 2019, more than 620 students from UG, PG and Phd courses graduated from IIT Kanpur, within the minimum stipulated time.
IIT Kanpur Ranking
IIT Kanpur scores 8.9/10 as per Collegedunia Reviews, which is an above average rating. Other agency rankings for the year 2020 are as follows:
|Ranking Agency||Rank||Category of Rank|
|The Week 2020||#4||B.Tech|
Check: IIT Kanpur Ranking
IIT Kanpur Courses: Eligibility, Selection & Fee
There are 02 UG courses, 04 PG courses, 03 integrated courses and a doctoral program offered at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur. The details of the courses along with their eligibility and selection criteria are as follows:
|Course Offered||Course Details||Selection Basis|
|B.Tech||Duration: 4 years | Full time
Specializations: Computer Science Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, etc.
Eligibility: Passed +2 with PCM and 75% aggregate.
|JEE Advanced + JoSAA Counselling|
|BS||Duration: 4 years | Full time
Specializations: Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics & Scientific Computing.
Eligibility: Passed +2 with a CPI of 6/10.
|M.Tech||Duration: 2 years | Full time
Eligibility: Passed B.Tech/B.E./B.Sc with 55% or 5.5/10 CPI.
|GATE + COAP|
|MS||Duration: 4 years | Full time
Specializations: 04 Eligibility: Passed B.Tech/B.E. with 55% or 5.5/10 CPI OR B.Sc with 75% aggregate.
Duration: 2 years | Full time
|M.Sc||Duration: 2 years | Full time
Eligibility: Passed bachelor’s degree with at least 55% aggregate.
|M.Sc + Phd (MSPD)||Duration: 2 years | Full time
Eligibility: Passed bachelor’s degree with 7/10 CPI and without any backlog.
|M.Des||Duration: 4 years | Full time
Eligibility: Passed B.Tech/B.E./B.Des/B.Arch with 55% or 5.5/10 CPI.
|Ph.D||Duration: 4 years | Full time
Specializations: 05 Eligibility: Passed corresponding master’s or bachelor’s degree.
|CAT / GATE / CEED / JRF / NET|
Check: IIT Kanpur Courses & Fees
IIT Kanpur Admission
Admissions at IIT Kanpur are entrance-based only, followed by counseling.
- For both B.Tech & BS, IIT Kanpur accepts JEE Advanced rank followed by JoSAA Counselling. Check JoSAA 2021 Expected Cutoff for IITs.
- M.Tech & MS admissions on the other hand require GATE scores. Counseling for M.Tech is through COAP. Last year IIT Madras conducted COAP.
- While, M.Des admission at IIT Kanpur, is based on CEED exam scores.
- MBA admissions are based on CAT scores and for M.Sc admissions, the IIT-JAM score is accepted.
- Ph.D. admissions in either Engineering, Management, Science or Humanities accept corresponding bachelor’s or master’s degree with scores in any of the given entrance exams that they previously qualified or are yet to qualify for CAT / GATE / CEED / JRF / NET or any other entrance accepted equivalent to these.
How to Apply?
Applications vary per course and its respective entrance exam. The applicants can apply for entrance, counseling, and admission online through one common application.
- B.Tech application would be commonly accepted through JEE website, but for counseling (through JoSAA) applicants will have to register again separately. Similarly for M.Tech applicants. Check: GATE Cutoff for Top M.Tech Colleges.
- Counseling portals are not application portals, thus candidates must ensure they read all instructions before submitting any application.
- Only PhD applications are accepted through IIT Kanpur website only. Applicants can access it when portal links open.
For detailed information check: IIT Kanpur Admission 2021
IIT Kanpur Cutoff
IIT Kanpur releases a cutoff for admission for each of its courses. Ranks are released commonly. In this case, IIT Kanpur deserves the right to admit applicants as per the ranks decided by its admission branch. Cutoff ranks are released for B.Tech and BS when counseling begins.
For B.Tech admissions in 2020, the following opening and closing ranks were fixed by IIT Kanpur:
|IIT Kanpur B.Tech Specializations||2020 Opening Rank||2020 Closing Rank (Round 6)|
|Biological Sciences & Engg||4321||7041|
|Computer Science & Engineering||111||239|
|Materials Science & Engineering||3921||5875|
In 2020, CAT percentile was 92.5 for MBA admissions. For 2021 MBA admissions at IIT Kanpur, CAT 2020 overall proposed percentile is 85. For more information check IIT Kanpur Cutoff.
IIT Kanpur Placement
Placement at IIT Kanpur in 2021 concluded in three phases. Around 59% of recruitments were in coding and software companies. Also, 50+ start-up companies were a part of the recruitment drive at IIT Kanpur. The following table throws more light on the statistics:
|Total Offers Extended||800+|
|Total Offers Accepted||791|
|Highest CTC||INR 1.47 CPA (International) INR 82 LPA (Domestic)|
|Year over Year Increment||15.8% higher CTC|
|Highest CTC||INR 20 LPA|
|Top 25% Average CTC||INR 16.5 LPA|
The domain-wise recruitment of MBA students was recorded the highest in Analytics of 40%. The other sector-wise recruitment record is as follows:
Various companies like Lupin, ICICI Bank, Infosys, Bajaj Finserv, Tiger Analytics, Mphasis, EY, Ford, HDFC Bank, etc were some of the key recruiters for IIT Kanpur Placement.
IIT Kanpur Scholarships
Various types of scholarships are offered at IIT Kanpur to both meritorious and those with low finances. The scholarships are in turn, either merit-based or need-based. The following scholarships can be availed by applicants at IIT Kanpur:
- Merit cum Means Scholarship: This type of scholarship is offered to SC / ST applicants who maintain a CPI of 6.5. They get a full tutition fee waiver, INR 1000 as pocket money allowance. Only parents’ annual income certificate stating below INR 4.5 LPA is mandatory for availing this scholarship.
- INSPIRE – Merit Based Scholarship: A scholarship amount of INR 30,000 is offered to BS students per semester, along with a research grant of INR 20,000 based on AIR in Chemistry, Physics and mathematics department.
- Sports Scholarship: Around 20 scholarships with an amount of INR 1000 for 9 months is awarded to IIT Kanpur students showing exemplary leadership in sports and its corresponding growth.
- Private Scholarships: There are 115 private scholarships that are extended to UG students with 6.5 CPI and above. Some of them are – Class of 1984 Scholarship, Dr. KP Gupta Scholarship, etc.
For more information check: IIT Kanpur Scholarship
Ques. What makes IIT Kanpur different from other IITs in the country?
Ans. The following points make IIT Kanpur different from other IITs in the country:
- IIT Kanpur is the 1st institution in India to offer Computer Science. It also owned its own supercomputer.
- IIT Kanpur is the only Indian institution to have a runway of its own. Comprising 3 single engine aeroplanes for a joyride both for students and visitors.
- Also IIT Kanpur has the largest campus area of 1055 acres in comparison to other IITs in the country.
Ques. How is CPI calculated for admission at IIT Kanpur?
Ans. Since IIT Kanpur does not award any class or division, there are only grades in the final result. CPI is thus calculated by multiplying it with a factor of 10 to come to a numerical percentage.
Ques. What is the grade distribution for B.Tech at IIT Kanpur?
Ans. The grade distribution depends upon the assignment submission. The following table explains the percentage distribution:
|With Assignments||Without Assignments|
Ques. Who all can apply for summer internships at IIT Kanpur?
Ans. Non-IIT Kanpur applicants and those from SAARC countries, who have completed their 3rd year of B.Tech / 2nd year of BA & B.Sc / B.Des are eligible to apply for IIT Kanpur internships.
The internship is 08 weeks long starting from May 2nd week to July 2nd week. Stipend of INR 12,500 is offered along with a certificate of commendation after completion of the internship.
Ques. How are admission and classes being conducted at IIT Kanpur?
Ans. Amid COVID-19 situation, all admissions and classes are being conducted online since 2020. It is expected to continue in 2021 as well.