Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur was the first-ever IIT to be established and is recognized as an institute of national importance. It has been ranked 4th in the Engineering category by NIRF Ranking 2019, making it one of the leading engineering colleges across India. The college has a sizeable faculty of over 780 members including a majority of highly qualified and experienced Ph.D holders and currently has a strength of 8,979 students. IIT Kharagpur offers undergraduate, postgraduate, dual degree and doctoral programs in several specializations.
The institute offers B.Tech, B.Arch., Integrated, LLB, LLM, M.Tech., MCP, M.Sc., MBA, EMBA, MMST, and Ph.D. program to the aspirants. On February 23, IIT Kharagpur has released the Shorlist for MBA Admission 2021. Candidates can check the shortlist results by visiting the official website of IIT KGP. Online Personal Interviews are scheduled from February 27, 2021. IIT KGP is inviting applications to MMST Admission 2021. Candidates can visit the official website to apply before March 15, 2021. Application fee of INR 1500 is needed to be paid during online aplication.Admissions are based on the marks secured by the students in the respective national level entrance examinations including JEE Mains, JEE Advanced, GATE, JAM, CAT etc. Last year, the opening and closing cutoff for admission to B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering at IIT Kharagpur was 204-283 and 520-980 for male and female candidates respectively.
IIT Kharagpur offers several facilities including sports, extracurriculars, accommodation, central library etc. IIT Kharagpur also has a great placement record with the first day of the recent placement season of 2019-2020 bringing in over 460 offers from about 30 companies, including many pre-placement offers.
IIT Kharagpur Important Dates
|CAT Exam Date||November 29, 2020|
|GATE Exam Date||06-07 February and 13-14 February, 2021|
|IIT JAM Exam Date||14 February, 2021|
Ph.D. Registration Begins
October 29, 2020
Ph.D. Registration Deadline
November 24, 2020
|Last Date to Apply for Digital Marketing Course||November 25, 2020|
|JEE Main Registration||December 16, 2020 - January 16, 2021|
|JEE Main Exam Dates||
Session I: February 23 - February 26, 2021
Session II: March 15 - March 18, 2021
Session III: April 27 - April 30, 2021
Session IV: May 24 - May 28, 2021
|Registration Dates for MHRM Course||03 Jan - 31 Jan, 2021|
|Registration Dates for MBA Course (VGSOM)||05 Jan - 31 Jan, 2021|
|Online Personal Interview for MBA||
Schedule 1: 27 Feb - 01 Mar, 2021
Schedule 2: 06 Mar - 08 Mar, 2021
Schedule 3: 13 Mar - 14 Mar, 2021
Schedule 4: 20 Mar - 22 Mar, 2021
Schedule 5: 03 Apr - 04 Apr, 2021
|Result Declaration for MBA||30 Apr, 2021|
IIT Kharagpur Highlights
|Established | Type||1951 | Autonomous|
|Recognized By||UGC, AICTE|
|Type of Programs||UG, PG, Ph.D. and Dual-Degree|
|Entrance Exam||JEE Main, JEE Advanced, GATE, JAM, CAT|
IIT Kharagpur Ranking
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur has been ranked by various recognized platforms among colleges at the national and international level
- Ranked 4th in Engineering category by NIRF Ranking 2019.
- Ranked 1st in Architecture category by NIRF Ranking 2019.
- Ranked 4th in Engineering category by Outlook Ranking 2019
- Ranked 5th overall by QS Ranking 2019
- Ranked 4th in Engineering category by SuccessCDs Ranking 2019.
- Ranked 4th in Engineering category by Jagranjosh Ranking 2019.
- Ranked #201 - #250 internationally by TIMES Higher Education Ranking 2020
IIT Kharagpur Courses
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur offers a variety of courses under different specializations. Given below are the details for the same:
|Course Name||Specializations||Eligibility||Tuition Fee|
|B.Tech (Hons)||Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Agricultural and Food Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mining Engineering,||Intermediate graduate with 75% marks (65% for SC/ST) with PCM/PCB.||INR 82,070|
|B.Arch||Architecture and Regional Planning||Intermediate graduate with 75% marks (65% for SC/ST) with PCM||INR 82,070|
|LL.B.||-||Bachelor’s in Engineering/Technology/Medicine OR M.Sc OR MBA with 60% marks (55% for SC/ST/PwD)||INR 1,23,900|
|M.Sc||Geophysics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Statistics and Information,||Bachelor’s in relevant discipline with 55% marks (50% for ST/SC/OBC)||INR 25,465|
|LL.M||-||LL.B with 60% marks in aggregate||INR 1,63,900|
|MBA||Finance, Marketing, Operations, Systems, General Management, Human Resources||B.E/B.Tech or Master’s degree in Science, Economics and Commerce with 60% marks (55% for reserved categories)||INR 3,14,300|
|Ph.D.||Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mining Engineering, Agricultural and Food Engineering, Biotechnology, Computer science and Engineering and more||60% marks in the qualifying examination in Engineering/Science/Commerce/Management||INR 28,900|
|B.Tech + M.Tech||Auto Communication, Control System Engineering, Power and Energy System, Civil Engineering Dual Degree, Transportation Engineering, Aquaculture Engineering and more||Intermediate graduate with 75% marks (65% for SC/ST) with PCM||INR 82,070|
Check here: IIT Kharagpur Courses
IIT Kharagpur Admission
Candidates seeking admission to Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur will be granted admission on the basis of the following national level entrance examinations:
|B.Tech||JEE Main and JEE Advanced Score|
|M.Tech||GATE Score followed by Written Test and/or Interview|
|MBA||CAT, Group Discussion and Interview Round|
|Ph.D||GATE/ UGC-NET/ CSIR-NET/ ICAR or ICMR score OR Written Test and Interview|
Check: IIT Kharagpur Admission
IIT Kharagpur Cutoff
Tabulated below are the JEE Advanced cutoffs for admission to the B.Tech program at Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur:
|Course||Male (Opening-Closing)||Female (Opening-Closing)|
|Computer Science and Engineering||204-283||520-980|
Know more: IIT Kharagpur Cutoff
IIT Kharagpur Scholarship
- Merit-cum-means scholarship of INR.1000 p.m. & a tuition fee waiver is awarded to 25% of students admitted under B.Tech, B.Arch, Integrated M.Sc., and 2-year M.Sc program
- Assistantship of INR 10000 per month to MMST students
- Students admitted to Dual Degree program are provided scholarships at par with B.Tech. students up to 4th year and at par with M.Tech in their 5th year.
Check: IIT Kharagpur Scholarship
IIT Kharagpur Placement
IIT Kharagpur offers training and placement opportunities to candidates through their Career Development Center and Central Placement Cell, working bodies that counsel and provide training to the job aspirants before appearing for an interview. The academic year 2018-2019 saw a successful placement season with a total of 437 students from 4-year undergraduate courses getting placed with reputed companies and MNCs, bringing in a median salary of INR 14.20 LPA. 36 students from 5-year undergraduate courses got placed with a median salary of INR 11.45 LPA, and 29 students from 3-year undergraduate courses with a median salary of INR 8.25 LPA. The past recruiters at the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur have been some of the most reputed tech giants such as Amazon, Adobe, Cognizant, Cisco, Cypress, Deshaw and Co, and many more. Read More: IIT Kharagpur Placement
IIT Kharagpur Faculty
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur has a large and diverse faculty of 781 highly qualified and accomplished members. Out of this, 772 of the members hold Ph.Ds in their respective disciplines. The entire faculty of IIT Kharagpur is very experienced and well versed in their subject matter. Members of the faculty are cooperative towards students and always encourage them to ask questions and clarify their concepts as much as they can, by being available to students even outside lectures and classes. The faculty consists of a dedicated team of professors, associate professors and assistant professors. Click here: IIT Kharagpur Faculty
IIT Kharagpur Facilities
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur has a huge campus that spans over an area of 2100 acres. Being on equal footing with other old IITs across India, the college has a number of provisions available for students. Some of these facilities are as follows:
- Hostel: There are 21 halls of residence in total, 16 for boys and 5 for girls. The hostels have a high capacity of housing almost 10,000 students overall. All hostels have in-house eateries that serve delicious varieties of food from all regions of India. Facilities such as High-Speed LAN, Wi-Fi and 24-hour electricity is available to all residents.
- Food: Eateries are available in the hostels as well as in other areas across the campus. The tech market also has a wide variety of snacks and sweets that residents can buy.
- Sports: There are two stadiums on the campus, namely Jnan Ghosh and Tata Sports Complex for various games such as Hockey, Football and cricket. Apart from these, the campus also has a completely modernized Aquatic Center for sports like Swimming as well as Water Polo. The Gymkhana also hosts an Indoor Squash Court, Indoor badminton courts, pool tables, tennis courts, and a fully modernized Gymnasium, equipment and facilities for weightlifting, basketball courts, volleyball court, table tennis etc.
- Health Care: TheB.C Roy Technology Hospital is located centrally within the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur campus. The hospital features an ICU, OPD, 24x7 pharmacy, 32 beds, emergency ward and other necessities. The hospital staff is highly qualified and dedicated to providing round the clock medical attention to students, staff and faculty.
- Library: IIT Kharagpur has a Central Library which is one of the largest and finest technical libraries in Asia. The library is stocked with 3.5 lakh documents, 300 print journals as well as over 20,000 e-books. The library is accessible to all students, faculty and staff for academic and research purposes.
Know more: IIT Kharagpur Hostel
IIT Kharagpur FAQs
Ques. What is the application fee for the form?
Ques. What is the JEE Advanced cutoff for Electrical Engineering?
- Male candidates: 781-1417
- Female candidates: 2443-3443
Check Here the category-wise cutoff.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for LLB at IIT Kharagpur?
Ans. The candidate must have a Bachelor’s in Engineering/Technology/Medicine or M.Sc or MBA with 60% marks
( 55% marks for SC/ST/PwD).
Ques. Does IIT Kharagpur offer a B.Sc+M.Sc. program?
Ques. Does IIT Kharagpur offer scholarships to UG students?
Ques. Which entrance exam is considered for admission to B.Arch at IIT Kharagpur?
Ques. What steps do we need to follow after the allotment of the desired branch?
Ques. What are the documents required to apply for the B.Tech/ B.Arch program at IIT Kharagpur?
- Scanned copies of academic details
- A valid email-Id
- Scanned passport size photograph
- Scanned signature of the candidate
- Scanned copies of category certificates, PwD certificate, if applicable.
Ques. What is the selection process for the Integrated M.Sc + Ph.D. program at IIT Kharagpur?
Ques. How many specializations in MBA are offered by IIT Kharagpur?
- General Management
- Human Resources