University of Burdwan, popularly known as Burdwan University is ranked 55 as per QS World University’s recent ranking. The University offers 45+ undergraduate courses, 30+ postgraduate courses, 10+ M.Phil, and 17 PH.D. programs. The university organizes various seminars and conferences for students' overall development.
Burdwan University Highlights
|University Type||Private University|
|Affiliated Colleges||200+ click here|
|Admission Criteria||Merit-based and Entrance test|
- Scholarships offered: The university offers various scholarships which are Swami Vivekananda Merit Cum Means Scholarship and Scholarship Schemes by Government of India and UGC including P.G Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child and University Rank Holders. Read more
- Placement Cell: The university makes sincere efforts to arrange a number of interviews both on-campus and off-campus, where the students prove their merits to secure employment. The university arranges training and soft skills for the students to increase the employability skills at their own cost. A good percentage of students have been placed through on and off-campus drive.
- Top recruiters of BU:TCS, IBM, L&T, Infotech, Infosys, i-Flex, FCG, CMC, Tech Mahindra, Mahindra Satyam, Haldia Petrochemicals, Matix Fertilizer, Wipro Infotech, Pinnacle, Zycus, Indian Army, Indian Navy, etc.
- SWAYAM: The university also offers the unique opportunity of designing your own course under the SWAYAM scheme where the student can choose his/her own subjects.
Burdwan University Ranking
- Ranked 91 by UNI.
- Ranked 22 for its MBA program by Business Today.
- Ranked 3rd among all the West Bengal Universities.
- Accredited with ‘B’ grade by NAAC.
- Member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU)
Burdwan University Courses
BU offers various UG, Integrated, PG, Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Certificate, M.Phil. and Ph.D. courses in the discipline of Business Administration, Engineering, etc. Apart from this, various integrated, diploma, advanced diploma, and certificate courses are on offer in management, engineering, law etc. Tabulated below are the details for same:
BU UG Courses
|BA||Arabic, Bengali, English, Mass Communication and Journalism, Philosophy, Political Science (many more)||Passed 10+2 (HSC) with a minimum of 45% aggregate marks|
|BBA||Business Administration, Tourism and Hospitality|
|B.Sc.||Economics, Biotechnology, Botany, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, Geography (many more)|
|B.A LL.B||-||Passed 10+2 (HSC) with a minimum of 45% aggregate marks (40% for reserved category)|
- Graduation with a minimum of 45% aggregate marks
- Obtained a valid score in the Written Admission Test
- Passed 10+2 (HSC) or its equivalent
- Obtained a valid score in WBJEE
Passed 10+2 (HSC) with a minimum of 45% aggregate marks
Check Burdwan University Courses and Fees
BU PG Courses
|MA||English, Economics, History, Mass Communication, Philosophy, Sociology, Sanskrit (many more)||Hons./Special graduate in the related subject (10+2+3) with a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in honors, high school marks - 20% and Madhyamik - 20%||2,960|
|MBA||Finance, Marketing, Human Resource, Insurance and Risk, Human Resource (many more)|
- Graduate in any discipline
- Obtained a valid score in MAT
|M.Ed.||Education||B.Ed. with a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in honors, high school marks - 20% and Madhyamik - 20%||24,310|
|MSW||Social Work||Graduation in any discipline with a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in honors, high school marks - 20% and Madhyamik - 20%||-|
|M.Com||Commerce||Honors/Special Honours graduates in commerce with a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in honors, high school marks - 20% and Madhyamik - 20%||3,660|
|LLM ||Law||Graduates with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks from any recognized university||5,000|
|M.Tech||Electronics and Instrumentation|
- B.E/B.Tech in Electronics and Instrumentation with a minimum of 60% aggregate marks
- Obtained a valid score in GATE
- B.E/B.Tech in Electronics/Electronics and Telecommunication Engg./Electronics and Communication/Radio Physics and Electronics/Applied Electronics/Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks
- Obtained a valid score in GATE
|MLIS||-||BLIS/B.Lib.Sc. or equivalent with a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in honors, high school marks - 20% and Madhyamik - 20%||5,200|
|M.Sc.||Mathematics, Biotechnology, Botany, Chemistry, Computer Science, Computer Technology, Zoology, Physics, Microbiology (many more)||Graduation in a related subject with a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in honors, high school marks - 20% and Madhyamik - 20%||39,820|
BU Ph.D. Courses
|M.Phil||Hindi, Commerce, History, Political Science, Economics, Chemistry, Geography, Mathematics, Zoology, Physics, Botany, Sanskrit (many more)|
- Post graduation with a minimum of 55% aggregate marks (50% for reserved category) and 2nd class Hons. degree in the subject
- Entrance Test followed by an Interview
|Ph.D.||Economics, English, History, Philosophy, Education, Commerce, Hindi, Law, Mass Communication, Sociology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Zoology, Computer Science, Botany, Statistics (many more)|
- Post-graduation in a related subject with a minimum of 55% aggregate marks (50% for reserved category)
- Candidates who have done M.Phil with a minimum of 55% aggregate marks can also apply
- Entrance Test followed by an Interview
Note: The university also offers M.A, M.Sc., MBA, M.Com. under Distance Education. For more information, click here
Burdwan University Admission
Listed below are the highlights of the admission criteria followed by the University –
For UG, PG and Research Courses
Step 1: Visit the official website of Burdwan University and click on ‘Apply now’ on the home page.
Step 2: Fill the admission form with all the required details and scan all the required documents along with photograph and upload the same.
Step 3: Note down the system generated Provisional Enrolment Number after submitting an application for further references and communication.
Step 4: Pay the admission fee through online mode or with a DD. Take a print out of the fee receipt for future use.
Step 1: Visit the official website or go to the University and collect the application form and the prospectus.
Step 2: Submit the duly filled form and pay the admission fee of INR 450 through DD drawn in favor of the “Finance Officer, Burdwan University” payable at “SBI, Burdwan University Branch, Burdwan”.
Step 3: Send the application form, demand draft along with a self-addressed stamped envelope for sending the provisional admit card to the following address before the due date:
The Secretary, Faculty Council (Sc),
The University of Burdwan, Golapbag,
Burdwan 713 104
Admission will be done on the basis of merit and marks secured in the following exams:
|Course||Entrance Test||Read More|
|MBA||MAT followed by GD and viva-voce||Click here|
|M.Phil||Entrance Test and Interview||-|
Following is the weightage criteria for selection in MBA:
- MAT score – 200 marks
- Group Discussion – 100 marks
- Viva Voce – 100 marks
Check Burdwan Admission
Burdwan University Faculty
The university has more than 520 full-time academic faculty members. The faculty staff of Burdwan University are highly qualified and experienced. Some of the achievements of the faculty are as follows:
Dr. Raman Kumar Sar
- Qualification: M.A., Ph.D
- Research Experience: Junior research fellow, Department of Bengali, the University of Burdwan. Completed Ph.D. work in the year 2002.
Prof. (Dr.) Nimai Chandra Saha
- Qualification: M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Zoology
- Research Experience: 33 years
- Achievements: Fellow of the Society of Environmental Sciences (F.S.E.Sc) conferred by the Society of Environmental Sciences, Dunka for outstanding contribution in the field of Environmental Sciences, 2003.
Prof. Pabitra Kumar Chakrabarti
- Qualification: M.Sc. (Physics), Ph.D
- Publications: 80 International Journal, 22 International Conferences, 37 National Conferences.
Check Burdwan University Faculty
Burdwan University Facilities
The university provides state of the art infrastructure and facilities for students as well as for the faculty members. Some of them are listed below:
- Central Library
- Computer Centre with internet facility
- Science Instrumentation Centre and Central Instrumentation Facility
- Health Centre
- Museum and Art Gallery
- Seminars and Conferences
Burdwan University FAQs
Ques. What is WBJEE? How to apply for WBJEE?
Ans. West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination (WBJEE) is the state level entrance exam for admitting candidates in B.E./ B.Tech/ B.Arch./ B.Pharma offered at various Government Colleges, Universities and Self-Financed Institutes in West Bengal.
The online application form will be available at the official website in the third week of December 2019. Candidates fulfilling the minimum eligibility criteria can apply for the same in online mode only. The exam will be held on April 19, 2020.
Ques. Is Burdwan University is better than Calcutta University?
Ans. Burdwan University is one of the oldest universities in West Bengal. The university has a great reputation especially among academicians. The depth of the syllabus is excellent and that too is a widely known fact. Your knowledge of the subject will never be questioned if you score decent marks in a Burdwan University exam. Overall Burdwan University is a far better choice.
Ques. Does the university offer B.Ed course through distance learning?
Ans. Yes, Burdwan University Distance Education offers B.Ed course. Admission in the ug program will be done on the basis of merit. Candidates can fill the application form via online mode.
Ques. How can I check my Burdwan University Result?
Ans. Follow the following steps to check the result online:
- Visit the official website of the university, go to the results section.
- Click on the relevant result link.
- Check the roll number and result.
- Download the result PDF for future use.
Check Burdwan University Results