Uttar Banga Krishi Vishwavidyalaya is a torch bearer of a new wave in Agricultural Education. The university offers higher education in some most important fields of agriculture in UG, PG and doctoral levels.
- It had come into existence as a satellite campus by the state government of West Bengal in 1979. The main focus of this campus was growing the productivity of 6 northern districts of West Bengal i.e. Jalpaiguri, Malda, Darjeeling, Uttar and Dakshin Dinajpur and Coochbehar.
- ICAR or Indian Council of Agricultural Research has accredited the campus along with increased development support. At the same time, National Agricultural Research Project (NARP) has initiated to give recognition Pundibari as headquarter of Terai-agro climatic zone of West Bengal.
- To develop horticultural facilities the state government elevated the campus to a complete university in 2000 under West Bengal act XX 2000 which covers whole North Bengal.
Uttar Banga Krishi Viswavidyalaya is also known as North Bengal Agricultural University
- After its inception a huge changes have come in the agriculture and horticulture crops production, productivity and cropping pattern of North Bengal.
- A new department of technology has been initiated with the accreditation of All India Council of Technical Education from 2005-2006 academic sessions which offers a B.Tech Degree of 4 Years in Agricultural Engineering.
- UBKV has achieved recognition for its well-trained faculties and excellent education in Agriculture and Horticulture field. Its perfect environment of education with a green campus helps students to complete their study.
Departments which have created their own mark in higher education and attract students are:
- Faculty of Horticulture
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Technology
Facility: Library-College Library has made every effort to cater the requirement of students and researchers. It has housed 22564 volumes of books, 200 reports and 2000 bound journals.