Indian Institute of Management, Ranchi (IIMR), the ninth IIM in the league of India’s premier management institutes was inaugurated on 06 July 2010 at Ranchi, Jharkhand. The Institute functions under the overall administrative control of Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India. The public business school has been established as a result of extensive care of the Government of Jharkhand and the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta.
- Currently, the college is working from a fleeting campus in Suchana Bhawan, behind the Governor House premises in the heart of Ranchi. The permanent campus will be situated at Birhar village on the Khunti-Karra road, about 35 kilometers from Ranchi.
- Despite being new in the IIM league IIM Ranchi has excellent industry relationship. They have summer internship and final placement processes for the students. Some of the prominent recruiters of the institute are- JP Morgan Chase, Citi, ICICI, L&T and TATA Steel etc.
Academic Overview: IIM Ranchi offers a two year PGDM in General management and another two year fulltime program in Human Resources Management (PGDHRM), Fellow Program in Management, Part time Diploma in Management (PGEXP) and Set of some Executive Programs. Apart from its academic programs, the institute has various Centers of Excellence along with Conclaves & Conferences for taking as much as possible from the course.
Conclaves and Conferences at IIM-R include:
- Colloquium- Colloquium, an annual series of guest lectures, aims at providing an opportunity to the students of IIM Ranchi to interact with the industry leaders in finance, marketing, operations and HR, so that the students should have an idea about the industry scenario at an early stage of management education.
- HR Conclave- Being the only IIM to offer specialized course in Human Resource Management, IIM-R has taken the initiative to organize two HR conclaves themed as “Turning the tide on unrest in work force” in 2012 and “Holistic Development of Human Capital” in 2011. In these, the eminent leaders across different industries discussed extensively on the challenges being faced by the organization in today’s world and the role of HR managers in solving those challenges.
Centers of Excellence include-
- Centre for Neuro Management
- Centre for Indian Management
- Centre for Public Policy
- Business Analytics Centre
- Centre for Inclusive Growth
Summer Internships- The institute has received stupendous support from the industry time and again to provide ample opportunities to the students for summer internships where students may actually implement their learning in the real world scenario. In 2011, the average stipend was close to Rs.62000 for two months with the uppermost stipend being Rs.160000 offered by a market research firm based in Malaysia.
Extracurricular: The institute focuses on an all-round development of its students by providing opportunities for various clubs and activities apart from academics. The institute has various student clubs pertaining to diverse areas such as finance and marketing to literature, theatre and nature which never leave dull time for an IIM-R student. IIM-R has the following clubs:
- Finesse – the finance club
- E-Cell - the Entrepreneurship Club
- Marquess Club – the marketing enthusiasts
- Conundrum - the Consulting Club
- QR Code - the quizzing club
- Sankriya - Operations/Strategy Club
- Samarpan - the Social Responsibility Club
The various student Committees at IIM-R include:
- Cultural & Sports Committee
- Academics Committee
- Technology Committee
- Student Facilities Committee
- Media & PR Committee
- Literary Committee
- Placement Committee
- Alumni & International Relations Committee
Placement Description: IIM Ranchi conducted the final placement process for the batch of 2012-14 and established itself among premier business schools of the country.
The total number of students participated in the final placement process was 149, with 111 from PGDM program and 38 from the PGDM-HRM course. The placement season saw participation of 77 recruiters. Moreover, 18 % of the batch was offered Pre-Placements Offers (PPOs) during the summer internship.
Domain Wise Placement Description:
Students Placed (%)
Sales & Marketing
Sales and Marketing, Media Marketing, Circulation Marketing, E-Commerce, Market Research
Reckitt Benckiser, Britannia, RPG, HT Media, Berger Paints, Beckton Dickinson, GSK, Daimler, L&T, Pidilite, Maruti, Tata Steel,
Investment Banking, Corporate Banking, Retail Product Banking, Credit Analysis, Investment Research
J P Morgan Chase, Citi, HSBC, Yes Bank, Crisil, Credit Agricole, ICRA, CARE Ratings, ICICI Bank, HDFC
Consulting, Analytics & IT
Consultant, IT Consultant, Business Development Manager, Business Analyst, and Account Manager.
KPMG, Mu-Sigma, Wipro, Cognizant, Hewlett Packard, Latent View, Hitachi Solutions, Aranca, Fidelity Investments, HCL, Tech Mahindra.
General Management, Strategy & Operations
Project Manager, Management Trainee, Trainee - Leadership Program, Group Management Cadre.
Jindal Steel and Power Limited, Mahindra, TATA Power, L&T, TATA Steel, Indofil.
Talent Acquisition, Learning & Development, Relationship Manager, Corporate HR, HR Business Partner, HR Operations, Employee Relations and Market Intelligence
Samsung India, ICICI Bank, Tata Consultancy Services, Kotak Mahindra, Titan Industries, HDFC Bank, Indofil, MAQ Software, BPCL, Power Grid Corporation, TATA Power, TATA Steel, Raymond, Reliance Life, JSPL.
Ranking: IIM Ranchi has been ranked among prestigious Business schools of country by leading educational magazines.
Scholarship: IIM Ranchi has been selected for OP Jindal Engineering and Management Scholarship given by OPJEMS & OP Jindal Group of Companies. The amount of each scholarship is Rs. 1.25 lakhs.