IIT Bhilai is one of the youngest IITs established in 2016. A total of 20 UG, PG and Ph.D courses are offered at the institute. It has recently introduced B.Tech in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence from 2020 onwards. The IIT Bhilai admission to all the academic programs is based on entrance exams scores like JEE Advanced, GATE, IIT JAM, UGC NET, CSIR NET, etc. IIT Bhilai organizes pre-placement sessions and has witnessed 75+ jobs offered to the B.Tech 2016-2020 batch. Total 60+ recruiters participated in the IIT Bhilai placement drive with an average CTC of INR 11 LPA. The highest package offered is INR 20 LPA.
IIT Bhilai Quick Facts
- IIT Bhilai placement program includes summer internship of 11 weeks and winter internship of 4 weeks.
- The institute has two Engineering Departments, three Science Departments and one Liberal Arts Department.
- The total fee for four year IIT Bhilai B.Tech is INR 4,90,000, which includes the tuition fee, health facility charges and other fee charges.
- The highest placement offers are observed in the CSE department followed by Mechanical engineering and Electrical Engineering.
- The final selection in IIT Bhilai M.Tech is based on merit, GATE score and performance in the written test/ interview conducted.
IIT Bhilai Courses, Fees, Selection Criteria
|B.Tech||Eligibility: 10+2 examination with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subject with an aggregate of 75% marks
Selection: JEE Advanced score followed by JoSAA Counselling
|M.Tech||Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology or Master’s degree in Science or equivalent degree with first-class or minimum 60% marks (55% in the case of SC/ST candidates) and a valid GATE score.
Selection: GATE followed by a written test and interview conducted by IIT Bhilai
|M.Sc||Eligibility: Bachelor's degree in Science with minimum 55% marks (for SC.ST acndidates 50% marks are required).
Selection: Candidates are selected based on IIT JAM score
|Ph.D||Eligibility: Candidate must have a Master’s degree/Bachelor’s degree in Science/Engineering/Technology or equivalent degree with first-class or 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST) with valid GATE score/or JRF score/or 2 years of professional experience
Selection: GATE/ UGC NET/ CSIR NET/ NBHM/ DBT/ ICAR/ ICMR/ ICPR/ DST INSPIRE Fellowship
|INR 40,300 (first year)|
IIT Bhilai B.Tech Cutoff
|Computer Science and Engineering||2826||908||1685||566||796|
|Data Science and Artificial Intelligence||3764||1078||1061||713||834|
IIT Bhilai Placement
IIT Bhilai has a dedicated and highly functional placement cell that conducts regular placement and training programs such as pre-placement talks, seminars and recruitment drives annually. In 2020, over 75+ offers are given by the best organizations and educational institutes. Various recruiters for summer internships included CDAC, Robert Bosch, VMWare, Carrier Midea, GSoC, IITs, Think Future Technologies and many others. The table below depicts IIT Bhilai internship summary for the year 2020:
|Teaching and Research||9.4%|
The Major highlights of IIT Bhilai placement 2020 are:
- A total of 75+ offers are made by the IIT Bhilai students
- Out of this, 11 are pre-placement offers
- The highest package offered is INR 20 LPA and the average CTC goes around INR 11 LPA.
- Around 60 recruiters participated in the IIT Bhilai placement drive.
- Some of the Major recruiters are: Deloitte, Air Asia, Amazon, Samsung, Aadhaar, Bosch, OYO, Radisys, MAQ Software, L&T Construction, etc.
- Highest number of students are placed in the private sector (non-start up).
IIT Bhilai Scholarship
Mentioned below are the provisions for scholarships offered to eligible students at IIT Bhilai:
- Merit-cum-Means (MCM) Scholarship: This scholarship is available to undergraduate students in UR and OBC categories will be eligible for 1/3rd reimbursement of tuition fee per semester and pocket money of INR 1000 pm.
- SC/ST Scholarship: This can be availed by all undergraduate students in SC and ST categories. The eligible students will be able to avail free messing and boarding as well as pocket money of INR 250 pm.
- Free Studentship Scholarship: 10% of the students in undergraduate programs can avail the grant of free studentship. Students will conditionally be able to avail 1/3rd reimbursement of the tuition fee for the semester.
- Fellowship to Postgraduate Students: Non sponsored M.Tech students with a valid GATE score are paid fellowship for a maximum of 21 months by the Institute.
IIT Bhilai Alumni
- Dr. Rabi Narayan Bastia: Padma Shri in 2007, Former Sr. VP at Reliance Industries. Currently, Adjunct Professor at ISM Dhanbad.
- Sharma Nand Sharma: Chairman at SEZ, Owner of Surat SEZ, CMD of Diamond & Gem Development Corporation
- Waman Bapuji Metre: Padma Bhushan, Pioneer of Indian Oil Industry
- Dr. Vijay Prasad Dimri: Padma Shri in 2010. Renowned Earth Scientist. Former President of Indian Geophysical Union. Former Director of NGRI
IIT Bhilai FAQs
Ques. How to reach IIT Bhilai?
Ans. There are three ways of reaching IIT Bhilai campus. By air to Raipur airport is the closest, by road through well connected highways or via rail to Raipur only.
Ques. Are there any student clubs at IIT Bhilai?
Ans. Yes, There are 13 student clubs at IIT Bhilai, all of them are related to extracurricular activities and openly include like minded students. Some of them are as follows:
|Renaissance- Art Club||Beathackers- Dance Club||News & Media Club||Music Club|
|Drama Club||Quizzotica||Epsilon Club||Electromos Club|
|Space Exploration Society||The Pixel Snappers||General Oratory & literary Society||Developers Student Club|
Ques. Does IIT Bhilai offer summer internships? If yes, throw light on the statistics.
Ans. Yes, IIT Bhilai does offer summer internships to students. As far as 2020 is concerned the students were placed across various domains:
- Private Sector: 46.9%
- Start Ups / IT: 37.5%
- Core Technical: 28.1%
- MNC / Teaching & Research: 9.4%
- Public Sector / Consulting: 6.3%
Ques. How many students get enrollment at IIT Bhilai annually?
Ans. Around 250 each year are offered admissions at IIT Bhilai across its UG, PG and Phd programmes. It is expected that seats would increase to 1000 in the coming five years for admission.
Ques. What were the placement 2020 highlights at IIT Bhilai?
Ans. The placement highlights for 2020 at IIT Bhilai recorded the following statistics:
- Total offers: 75+
- Total Recruiters; 60
- Highest CTC Offered: INR 20 LPA
- Average CTC Offered: INR 11 LPA
Ques. How is IIT Bhilai?
Ans. Considering the placements, infrastructure and academic records, IIT Bhilai has proven itself a great institute for Technology over the years since it was established. The institute provides various facilities to its students such as sports activities, clubs and organizations, summer internships, pre placements, etc.
Ques. How is IIT Bhilai Placement?
Ans.The institute has recorded 100% placements for its 1st ever placement drive in the year 2020. More than 75+ job offers were made by the top companies such as Deloitte, Air Asia, Amazon, Samsung, Aadhaar, Bosch, OYO, Radisys, MAQ Software, L&T Construction, etc. The highest CTC offered was INR 20 LPA, while the average CTC goes around INR 11 LPA.
Ques. How is IIT Bhilai for Mechanical Engineering?
Ans. The Mechanical Engineering Department of IIT Bhilai is the oldest core department of the institute with highly experienced faculties and offering research facilities in the thurst areas and quality education. Pursuing Mechanical Engineering from IIT Bhilai is totally worthwhile.
Ques. Does IIT Bhilai have permanent campus?
Ans.The permanent campus of IIT Bhilai is under construction and is expected to come up by 2022. Till then the institute is using a temporary campus for facilitating its academic processes.
Ques. What JEE Advanced rank is required for IIT Bhilai?
Ans.A general category candidate is required to obtain a JEE Advanced rank between 2826-5845 for admission into the B.Tech CSE branch at IIT Bhilai.