Masters in International Business in USA: Detailed Course Guide
Masters in International Business in USA is a fulltime nine months - two years course. The course helps you to study Global Business Environment and management competencies required in the relevant field. International students need a bachelor’s degree with a good score equivalent to USA standards. Along with that work experience, GMAT/GRE, IELTS & TOEFL scores are criteria.
The course itself came into existence in 1946 and has been studied by management professionals since then. Some salient features of the course are:
- Even though Masters in International Business in USA has many names, one thing is common. That is quality education and excellent student placement rate which is 90 percent and more in most colleges.
- You will also find 20 USA universities in the top 200 list of management schools all over the world as per QS.
- The average placement package is 60,000 - 179,000 USD for this course.
- According to the OECD report, the USA churns out 67,000 Ph.D. graduates on average every year. So, you can pursue a Ph.D. after your degree, which will further broaden your scope as the USA is the leading country in research.
Why Study Masters in International Business in USA?
- As per QS Rankings, USA houses at least 150 Universities, which ranks among the top 400 globally in business management studies. The Yale University & Thunderbird School of Global Management ranks 19 and 49 globally for Masters in International Business Management programs.
- The USA is the birthplace of the course. The concept started in 1946 in the American Institute of Foreign Trade, now called Thunderbird School of Management.
- Most Masters in International Business in USA degrees have accreditation of The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
- As per Statista reports, the USA is a popular study destination for many international students, especially from Asia & South-Asia. The graphical image below gives the number of international students from various countries pursuing higher education in USA:
- About employability, Yale University ranks 13th world-wide. 50 USA universities rank among the top 200 in this category.
- Few facts and figures concerning Masters in International Business in USA universities:
|Universities/ Colleges||Student Diversity||Placement (%)||Avg Placements (USD)|
|University of Chicago||43 countries, 31% International||98.4||80,000-110,00|
|Hult Business School||90 % of international||89||61,800|
|Yale University||45 % International Students||92||1,50,000|
|Thunderbird School of Global Management||43 countries||-||179,000|
|North Eastern University||7,500 international students from 140 countries||90||90,000|
|Course Names||MIB, MS International Business, Master of Management Studies in Global Business & Society|
|Course Duration||9 months - 2 years|
|Is it possible to study P.h.D.?||Yes|
|General Entry Requirements||Bachelor’s Degree|
IELTS and TOEFL score
Work Experience preferred
|Average Placement Package||USD 60,000 - 179,000|
|Are scholarships available?||Yes|
|Job Roles||Management Analyst, Management Consultant, Sales Manager,|
Finance Controller, Business Development Manager, etc
Masters in International Business in USA: Top Universities
If you are looking for the best courses in Masters in International Business in the USA, listed below are the ones to look out for. The table also mentions the course offered, university rank, and fee of the program.
|Universities||QS Rankings||Course Name & Duration||Course Fees (USD)|
|Yale University||19||Master of Management Studies in Global Business & Society|
Duration - 9 months
|Newyork University||20||Master of Business Administration - Global MBA|
Duration - 2 years
|University of Chicago||22||Master of Business Administration - International Business|
Duration - 2years
|Thunderbird School of Global Management (Arizona State University)||49||Master in Global Management|
Duration - 2 years
|North Eastern University (D’ Amore-McKim)||101-110||Master of Science in International Business|
Duration - 1 year
|University of Florida||101-150||Master of International Business|
Duration - 1 year
|University of South Carolina Darla Moore School||151-200||Master of International Business, Duration - 9 months|
Master of International Business + A Master’s Degree,
Duration - 1 year 10 months
|George Washington University||151-200||Master of Science in International Business|
Duration - 1 year
Also available in Bachelor’s + MSIB mode for 4+1=5 years.
|Georgetown University||151-200||Master of Arts in International Business & Policy|
Duration - 1 year
|University of Delaware||491||Master of Science in International Business|
Duration - 9 months
|Hult International Business School||-||Master in International Business|
Duration - 11 months
|47,500 - Boston|
49,500 - San Francisco
What is Masters in International Business About?
Masters in International Business is a 1-2 years professional course to train management professionals on capabilities and resources in a global economy. If you want to pursue a career aligned with the Global Business situation, this course is suitable. The course is available as:
- Master of International Business (MIB)
- Master of Science in International Business.
- Master in Global Management.
- Master of Management Studies in Global Business & Society.
- Master of Business Administration in International Business.
Course Curriculum Overview
- Foundations on Business Knowledge and Technical Skills.
- Doing Business from a Global Perspective.
- Challenges in International Business.
Masters in International Business in USA: How to Apply?
To apply, you will require good scores in your Bachelor’s Degree equivalent to the USA standards. Along with that, 3-5 years of work experience as a management professional or managerial role is preferred.
Masters in International Business in USA: Critical Deadlines
Applications for popular universities in USA offering MIB can be made in multiple rounds. International students must keep an eye on application deadlines. The usual month of application deadlines for top universities are mentioned in the table below:
|Universities||Deadline Months for Application Rounds|
|Yale University||January, February, April|
|Thunderbird School of Global Management (Arizona State University)||November, January, March, June|
|North Eastern University (D’ Amore-McKim)||October, January, March|
|University of Florida||January to August|
|University of South Carolina Darla Moore School||Late of August or Early January|
|Hult International Business School||October, December, February, April, May, July|
Masters in International Business in USA: Eligibility Requirements
The minimum cut-offs required to study this course at popular colleges offering masters in international business are listed below:
|University of Chicago||3.6 GPA||GMAT - 720|
GRE - 130
|Yale University||3.66 GPA||GMAT- 720||7||100|
|Thunderbird School of Global Management||3.25 GPA with 5 years of experience||-||Accepts score, but cut-off not specified||TOEFLiBT-100|
TOEFL PBT - 600
|University of Florida||Bachelor’s degree equivalent to 3.25 GPA||Accepts score but cut-off not declared||6.5||79|
|North Eastern University (D’ Amore-McKim)||3.46 GPA||GMAT - 678||7-8||99-107|
|University of South Carolina Darla Moore School||Bachelor’s Degree||GMAT - 670 GRE - 156||6||TOEFLiBT-77|
TOEFL PBT - 550
|Hult International Business School||Bachelor’s Degree||GMAT - 610||-||TOEFLiBT- 97|
TOEFL PBT - 580
Masters in International Business in USA: Documents Required
- Graduation scores are equivalent to USA GPA standards.
- The score of tests required to study in the USA.
- The official transcripts from previous colleges will be required to apply.
- You must provide a letter of recommendation from your Last Employer. 2-5 years of work experience in any management field is preferable.
- You will need a recent resume.
- Along with the above documents, you will need passport-sized photos, Passport & valid ID proof.
USA Student Visa
The process and documents required to apply for USA student visa are given below:
- You must be able to show Financial Proofs to bear the minimum cost of living.
- You will receive an I-20 form for an F1 visa from the University.
- After that, the SEVIS I-901 form requires completion. After that, you must register for the international visitor database.
- Payment for the SEVIS fee for F1 Visa needs to be made.
- Now, visit the portal to schedule an appointment for visa application
- Complete the DS-160 form online.
- Finally, take a print out of the same for the Interview.
Cost of Studying Masters in International Business in USA
The cost of studying USA will include various expense types. Since the USA is one of the most expensive student destinations for international students, applicants must be familiar with all the expenses they may suffer. Some of these have been discussed in details below:
Before leaving the home country there are various expenses you will have to make to study in the USA. These include application fees, visa fees, entrance tests fees, etc. Some of these are as follows:
|F1 & J1 Visa||350|
Tuition Fees for Studying Masters in International Business in USA
The tuition fees for studying MIB in USA varies drastically across universities. Given below is a comparison graph of the annual tuition fees at popular universities:
Cost of Living in the USA
While studying abroad, cost of living is an additional significant factor adding to the total expense an international student will suffer. Given below are the annual costs of living in the USA which includes cost of student accommodations, transport, grocery, etc.
|Expenses||Cost (Yearly USD)|
|Three times meal||14,400|
|Gas & Electricity||1980|
The overall expense of pursuing a Masters in the USA exceeds a lot more than what studies cost you in India and other contemporary international students. The USA still attracts a huge number of student populations as the graduate schools in the USA stand out in comparison to any other country.
Scholarships for Masters in International Business in USA
With a cost of study capable of burning a big hole in an international student's pocket, seeking financial aids to study in the USA is the only way to survive this burden. The USA will offer you various lucrative scholarships and student aids some of these are discussed below:
|Yale University||Jacob’s Fellowship - Loan Forgiveness Program||The fellowship is worth 25,000 USD in 2 years.|
|Assistantship||Work on the campus to earn waivers & benefits.|
|Thunderbird School of Global Management (Arizona State University)||Thunderbird Alumni Scholarship||It covers the tuition fees only.|
|Ann Weaver Nichols Scholarship Program||500 USD for tuition cost.|
|University of South Carolina (Darla Moore School of Business)||Moore School Excellence Award||The scholarship value is 500 USD - 20,000 USD.|
|Graduate Assistantships||Work on-campus & earn up to 7,000 USD as a stipend.|
Find out more international specific scholarships available for pursuing masters in USA, here
Masters in International Business in USA: Scope
The USA is the most powerful nation in the world with the world’s largest economy. So, it is a dream study destination for many. Below mentioned are few job roles after studying Masters in International Business in USA:
|Job Roles||Average Salary Range (USD yearly)|
|Management Analyst||47,000 - 90,000|
|Sales Manager||68,500 - 137,000|
|Finance Controller||55,000 - 124,000|
|Marketing Manager||43,000 - 99,000|
|International Trade Specialist||42,000 - 90,000|
|Management Consultant||59,000 - 143,000|
Can we work post studying Masters in International Business in USA?
If you have completed your Masters in International Business in USA, do apply for an H-1B Visa. Getting an H-1B visa will require:
- A Letter with an offer of employment from the current employer in the USA.
- Your employer will file the I-129 petition.
- It will also file for your citizenship.
- Finally, hire an attorney to complete the process easily.
Scope for Ph.D. in USA
Yes, you can pursue a Ph.D. post completing the Masters in International Business in USA.
- The USA has many world-renowned business schools like Yale University, MIT (Sloan), Harvard University, University of Chicago and many more.
- The USA invests hugely in research and development.
- Here, you can pursue the program. Ph.D. graduates enjoy a 23 percent hike on their last salary.
- Also, while studying, you may expect 15,000 - 30,000 USD based on the course, location & college.
The US is the worlds’ most powerful economy and hence the favorite study destination of many. It is the land of prestigious management universities like Yale University, Harvard Business School, MIT (Sloan), and many more.
A great place to do research work as the USA spends more than 500 Billion USD in research. As per the survey, on pursuing any Masters in the USA you may earn a hike of 29 percent. After that, if you pursue Ph.D., then again, a hike of 23 percent on the last.
The USA is a country of rich cultural diversity with lakhs of international students enrolling each year. Also, you will be able to work for 20 hours per week on any campus as Assistant. This facility will help to earn some money or get some waivers. All these reasons make the USA a perfect destination to study MIB.